Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves And A's Discussing J. Upton And Gattis?

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    If we trade Justin for Samardzija, we're ****ed cause our management is truly stupid.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (11-29-2014), bravesnumberone (11-29-2014), Garmel (11-29-2014), Hudson2 (11-29-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts
    FFS if we trade Justin for Samardzjia...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (11-29-2014), Metaphysicist (11-29-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    That would make the most sense of any the proposals posted, but I still don't want Samardzija without an extension.
    I don't want Samardzija period. Last year was the first year of his career he actually performed at a high level. I'm not willing to bet our best trading chips on him continuing that trend. If the Braves do that they're dumb. Sure he could be a trend bucker, but most guys don't figure it out at 29.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (11-29-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    No way do you trade Justin for a one year player who is going to cost a lot of money. Commit to the rebuild....trade Justin for prospects.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Can we win with 6 position players?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    No way do you trade Justin for a one year player who is going to cost a lot of money. Commit to the rebuild....trade Justin for prospects.
    Or don't trade Justin and focus on resigning him. There's no way we can't afford to say no to him, we don' thave the Jason excuse. Right handed power is at a premium, so lets trade the 2 guys we have who have right handed power so we can compete in 2 years. BRILLIANT!

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    A reporter puts a rumor out there and folks get mad at Hart? Lighten up, Francis. One possibility is that Hart is floating it to make Justin's value go up a bit. Don't worry...be happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Or don't trade Justin and focus on resigning him. There's no way we can't afford to say no to him, we don' thave the Jason excuse. Right handed power is at a premium, so lets trade the 2 guys we have who have right handed power so we can compete in 2 years. BRILLIANT!
    I agree that signing Justin long term should be an option. The man can actually hit consistently unlike others. However, I am all for trading one guy if it means turning him into three productive players. I want a lineup where everyone outside of Simmons/CB are tough outs. They don't need to be stars but I am sick of giving away AB after AB.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    If we get a sick return for Justin I'll be OK with it, but if we're going into 2017 with one star offensive player and hoping to just not concede runs we're boned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    If we get a sick return for Justin I'll be OK with it, but if we're going into 2017 with one star offensive player and hoping to just not concede runs we're boned.
    That is not going to be the plan. I think its going to be centered around a lineup that is filled with tough outs. Freeman will probably be the only superstar but have a lineup that makes contact and can take pitches. On the bases have guys that take an extra base and can swipe one every now and again. But its going to be about the pitching. Lets have a guy that can go 7 innings at anytime. You put that along with a tough lineup then you have the recipee to win.
    Natural Immunity Croc

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

blueagleace1 (11-29-2014)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by COGPK View Post
    A reporter puts a rumor out there and folks get mad at Hart? Lighten up, Francis. One possibility is that Hart is floating it to make Justin's value go up a bit. Don't worry...be happy.
    I'm gonna choose to believe this. It's healthier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    That is not going to be the plan. I think its going to be centered around a lineup that is filled with tough outs. Freeman will probably be the only superstar but have a lineup that makes contact and can take pitches. On the bases have guys that take an extra base and can swipe one every now and again. But its going to be about the pitching. Lets have a guy that can go 7 innings at anytime. You put that along with a tough lineup then you have the recipee to win.
    That's not a recipe to win. That's a recipe to be in the playoff mix and hope for luck. Winning you need 2 offensive stars. Freddie is one star. Or if you don't have 2 stars you need to have several very good hitters. People point at the giants as only having one star, but that's not the case, they had 2 stars (Posey and Pence) and 2 very good players (Sandoval and Crawford) Then another guy who could mash but not field (Morse)

And if the goal is to have a team filled with tough outs, why did we trade the starter with 2nd lowest K rate and 2nd highest BB rate? Why did we trade TLS? The Braves current offseason moves haven't made a ton of sense, the current rumblings about Justina nd Gattis are concerning as well. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic but I'm not liking the start of this offseason even a little bit and there's still so much left to screw up.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (11-29-2014), BremanFan88 (11-29-2014), goldfly (11-29-2014)

Playing the Waiting Game keithlaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    TLS is vastly overrated by a lot of people here because he draws walks and he's not Uggla, but he was really, really bad last year and we have a much more talented player in our system at his position. This offseason makes perfect sense if you don't think we were contenders in 2015. We're trading assets with short term value for assets with long term value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keithlaw View Post
    TLS is vastly overrated by a lot of people here because he draws walks and he's not Uggla, but he was really, really bad last year and we have a much more talented player in our system at his position. This offseason makes perfect sense if you don't think we were contenders in 2015. We're trading assets with short term value for assets with long term value.
    We traded Tommy La Stella for a Vizcaino, which sure if he recaptures his former glory is a fantastic trade, but the truth is we traded a guy who should have been our starting 2B for a guy who's arm was so wrecked he didn't pitch an official inning in 2012 or 2013. That's scary. Don't get me wrong, not 100% opposed to this trade, if Viz can be healthy then we're fine. But the idea that we're gonna get guys who're tough outs and trading 2 guys who don't K and hit a lot of line drives, if that's our goal. I think our goal is to just stock up on pitching and hope we can get some hitters.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

BremanFan88 (11-29-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Gray. Jaso. Reddick. Those are the guys they have who can help us the most.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (11-29-2014), bravesnumberone (11-29-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    We traded Tommy La Stella for a Vizcaino, which sure if he recaptures his former glory is a fantastic trade, but the truth is we traded a guy who should have been our starting 2B for a guy who's arm was so wrecked he didn't pitch an official inning in 2012 or 2013. That's scary. Don't get me wrong, not 100% opposed to this trade, if Viz can be healthy then we're fine. But the idea that we're gonna get guys who're tough outs and trading 2 guys who don't K and hit a lot of line drives, if that's our goal. I think our goal is to just stock up on pitching and hope we can get some hitters.
    It really seemed like Fredi had a problem with Stella! so I'm not sure that is indicative of what we can expect from Hart. I sure hope not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I don't want Josh Reddick. He has not played a full season since 2012.

Jaso is 31 years old. He doesn't fit the win in 2017 motto (neither does Samardzija of course)

Gray is one of the guys I'd want. A's don't have much I really want since they traded Donaldson. If they would do Justin and Gattis for Donaldson I would have jumped all over that. I don't want something else from them though to be blunt. I'm not in love with anyone on the As. They traded the 2 guys I really love, Donaldson and Russell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    It really seemed like Fredi had a problem with Stella! so I'm not sure that is indicative of what we can expect from Hart. I sure hope not.
    Then fire Fredi if he's too stupid to play a guy who should be a decent player.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (11-29-2014)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    The 2b we picked up from the Yankees projects to do just as good as La Stella this year. So maybe Hart knows what he's doing. Or maybe he's old and senile. Time will tell.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (11-29-2014)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Gray is the only A left I want. If we can do a deal centered around him I would be content. If Reddick is a complementary piece to a trade centered around Geay I would fine with that. He is cheap, relatively young, a good defender, and has flashed power in the past. He is kind of like Heyward lite with a good bit less upside.