Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sniffing around on Markakis; Official 4 years 44 million.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Markakis is a great fit. Not happening but I would love him

2. The Following User Says Thank You to emk418 For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (12-02-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Markakis is a 31 year old player, already in decline, with considerable injury risk, asking for a 4-year commitment.

Not exactly a negligible risk proposition.
    Considerable injury risk? The man has played in 155+ games every year for the last 8 years except 2012 (104). How is that a considerable injury risk?

I'm not saying he is some cornerstone to build the 2017 team around, but he can certainly provide a consistent OBP and a bit of power in a corner OF spot if/when JUp is traded. For $10M per year I'm not sure what else you expect.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    And now we're going to re-sign zero of those two (in all likelihood).

Riddle me that, batman.
    Read Page 1 - it's post #15.

Hart's been quoted several times saying that there are no current trade negotiations going on and that they've made no calls "shopping" Upton. He's also said consistently that they are open to discussing an extension when and if the time is right, and that they're always "listening" when others make offers - they wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't.

If you have inside information that no one else has heard, feel free to spill the beans - I'm sure we'll all jump on Twitter and help you scoop Rosenthal, Heyman, Morosi, DOB, et al.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    I was real big Markakis as a prospect. He was actually a lot like Heyward but with a lot less speed and a better arm. He had a 6 war season when he was 25 and that was without gold glove defense.

4/50 is kind of pricey but I would strongly consider it. He has consistently shown a good walk rate and has never hit below .271 and that was an injury plagued year. I think he could potentially raise his batting average to .290 which would get his OBP to .360 and slugging% to .400.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Markakis replaces every last bit of offensive production Heyward's ever put up other than his rookie season for less than extravagant money is the only point anyone's making here.

Heyward's gone, and it doesn't make one bit of difference who you plug in RF, the defense will suffer. Everyone understands. If you can add someone on a much shorter deal and use the excess money to build a deeper lineup around Freddie and Justin while still getting what we've gotten from him offensively you've improved the offense. It really is that simple.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

blueagleace1 (12-02-2014)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Considerable injury risk? The man has played in 155+ games every year for the last 8 years except 2012 (104). How is that a considerable injury risk?

I'm not saying he is some cornerstone to build the 2017 team around, but he can certainly provide a consistent OBP and a bit of power in a corner OF spot if/when JUp is traded. For $10M per year I'm not sure what else you expect.
    Considerable risk by virtue of his age. And wrist issues that could continue to suck away what little power he already flashes.

He's not going to get $10MM either. $12MM-$13MM is far more likely.

That's almost in BJ Upton territory.

If this team is really not going to have the pieces to contend in 2015, then I'd rather save the money and sign a scrub like Wily Mo Pena.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    How about we sign Peavy, trade BJ (some cash included) and Gattis for Fowler and extend him, add Markakis and resign Boni.
    This improves our rotation, our lineup, our bench and our financial stability.

Rotation: Teheran, Minor, Miller, Peavy, Wood.

Peraza 2B
    Fowler CF
    Freddie 1B
    J Up LF
    Markakis RF
    CJoh 3B
    Simba SS
    C-Beth C

I'd look into Aoki as well. As I said, I'm big on him.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Considerable risk by virtue of his age. And wrist issues that could continue to suck away what little power he already flashes.

He's not going to get $10MM either. $12MM-$13MM is far more likely.

That's almost in BJ Upton territory.

If this team is really not going to have the pieces to contend in 2015, then I'd rather save the money and sign a scrub like Wily Mo Pena.

You're aware that Heyward slugged .384 while Markakis slugged .386 last season, right???

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Hart's been quoted several times saying that there are no current trade negotiations going on and that they've made no calls "shopping" Upton. He's also said consistently that they are open to discussing an extension when and if the time is right, and that they're always "listening" when others make offers - they wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't.
    Wait, do you really believe that the Braves are not actually actively engaging in trade talk involving Justin Upton?

Because, notwithstanding the absurd amount of published information I could use to trounce that weak argument, is that why virtually every other one of your posts is a murph3-esque trade proposal involving Upton for prospect X and Y?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    This strikes me as Lester 2.0. Braves like his makeup and wonder if he'll sign for a discount given his Georgia roots. If the Braves strategy is to build a roster that will peak in 2016-2018, Markakis is far from an ideal fit unless you get him to sign a team-friendly contract. He will probably re-sign with the Orioles. These media reports that read like "Player X has interest from Team A, Team B, Team C, etc." are usually coming from the player's agency and are often embellished.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Unfortunately Markakis is regressing big time so signing him for over 10 mil per year is a huge risk. STEAMER projects him to hit .268/.334/.381 next year. You can get those type of numbers from some stop gap or platton; no point committing 3-4 years at 10 mil plus for it.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    You're aware that Heyward slugged .384 while Markakis slugged .386 last season, right???
    I'm going to save this here on a platter for somebody else to respond to.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Regarding Tomas-- the Braves were serious about him, but Hart refused to entertain the idea of an opt-out. No formal offer was made but parameters were discussed and the Braves were not shying away from his salary expectations (or what he ultimately got from LaRussa and family). The opt-out ended talks pretty abruptly.

Regarding Lester-- they were doing their diligence on him as a Georgia resident, free agent, pitcher, would be a good fit in the clubhouse, etc. They met- did not discuss numbers- and no offer was made. The Braves, after hearing some of the numbers being thrown about for Lester, decided that he's too rich for their blood and that was the end of it. It wasn't meant to be a PR plug for the Braves- it was just an introductory meeting.

One thing is for sure about the Hart-JC led FO; they do not like to waste people's time (their own included). So if a player's own valuation is significantly different from the team's, they aren't just "going to make an offer" for the sake of making one. The Braves are very deliberate in their overtures when the time comes.

To be clear, I'm not saying I always agree with their moves. I did agree with the Heyward decision after learning what he was expecting (and now will likely test the FA waters and get that or more assuming he plays as expected in 2015 or better). I wouldn't be a huge fan of Markakis at the current numbers being thrown about; I'd rather go for Headley for the same cost, dump CJ somewhere and see what we can do in the OF (Aoki as a low cost option, or someone better via trade).

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ramadon101 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-02-2014), frostpro (12-02-2014), mikewon (12-02-2014), nsacpi (12-02-2014), Tapate50 (12-02-2014), The Chosen One (12-02-2014), weso1 (12-02-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Wait, do you really believe that the Braves are not actually actively engaging in trade talk involving Justin Upton?

Because, notwithstanding the absurd amount of published information I could use to trounce that weak argument, is that why virtually every other one of your posts is a murph3-esque trade proposal involving Upton for prospect X and Y?
    I think it's clear the Braves are shopping JUp. I think what hart meant with his "we haven't made a single call" comment was that buyers are coming to him, he is not desperately looking for someone to take him.

One of two things will happen with JUp within the next 2-3 weeks: he will either be extended, or traded. There is simply no way Hart can let him walk after 2015 and only get the 30th pick in the draft in exchange for the premier RHed power bat available.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    Rosenthal mentioned Colby Rasums as a potential Markakis replacement in Baltimore. He would be an interesting buy-low candidate for us, and his dad wasn't shy about expressing the wish that Colby would end up with the Braves when the Cards dealt him.

Granted, if your goal is to add contact and consistency, he's not going to help matters. But it's an idea.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (12-02-2014)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Because I love the "what-ifs" as much as everyone else does.

Again, I have no inside information. I listen to XM all day, watch MLB Network when I'm home, read MLBTR, Twitter, and this message board pretty consistently just like most everyone else does. Until someone can provide evidence that HART is the one actively engaged in something, I have little reason to doubt him. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy speculating and hoping any less than everyone else.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-02-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Rosenthal mentioned Colby Rasums as a potential Markakis replacement in Baltimore. He would be an interesting buy-low candidate for us, and his dad wasn't shy about expressing the wish that Colby would end up with the Braves when the Cards dealt him.

Granted, if your goal is to add contact and consistency, he's not going to help matters. But it's an idea.
    I've thought about him as well, but his approach at the plate would just seem to add to the problem. Plus, the "party in the back" is looking like an absolute bacchanalia.

Last edited by 50PoundHead; 12-02-2014 at 02:39 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-02-2014)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Regarding Tomas-- the Braves were serious about him, but Hart refused to entertain the idea of an opt-out. No formal offer was made but parameters were discussed and the Braves were not shying away from his salary expectations (or what he ultimately got from LaRussa and family). The opt-out ended talks pretty abruptly.

Regarding Lester-- they were doing their diligence on him as a Georgia resident, free agent, pitcher, would be a good fit in the clubhouse, etc. They met- did not discuss numbers- and no offer was made. The Braves, after hearing some of the numbers being thrown about for Lester, decided that he's too rich for their blood and that was the end of it. It wasn't meant to be a PR plug for the Braves- it was just an introductory meeting.

One thing is for sure about the Hart-JC led FO; they do not like to waste people's time (their own included). So if a player's own valuation is significantly different from the team's, they aren't just "going to make an offer" for the sake of making one. The Braves are very deliberate in their overtures when the time comes.

To be clear, I'm not saying I always agree with their moves. I did agree with the Heyward decision after learning what he was expecting (and now will likely test the FA waters and get that or more assuming he plays as expected in 2015 or better). I wouldn't be a huge fan of Markakis at the current numbers being thrown about; I'd rather go for Headley for the same cost, dump CJ somewhere and see what we can do in the OF (Aoki as a low cost option, or someone better via trade).

Most "inside information" anyone here's going to get, and likely as much as the celebrated scoopers (Rosenthal et al) will ever get either.

Thanks for the clarification ramadon.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post

I could support this.

At least with Rasmus there is still some potential (only 28), plus defense, pop, versatility.

I'd also have to believe he'd be available for a cheaper bounty than Markakis. Maybe.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I've thought about him as well, but his approach at the plate would just seem to add to the problem. Plus, the "party in the back" is looking like an absolute bacchanalia.

I thought that was what you meant. Side note: That Toronto hat (with Maple Leaf) is baller.