Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Juan Francisco

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts

Juan Francisco

I'd like to see JC kick the tires on this guy again. Could get us up to almost average production out of 3B with a proper platoon.

I should have put this under the offseason suggestion thread. Fu@K it. Sav's halfway to heaven at this point on meds. He won't notice.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 12-05-2014 at 03:04 PM.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I agree on this one. Career OPS of .786 against righties (.810 in 2014).

I know he is not a Braves Way player and is lacking in grit, maturity, leadership and clutchness. But still, worth a look.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    He makes a lot more sense on the team now that we will lack power. Also with La Stella gone Freeman and Markakis are the only starting caliber left handed hitters. Plus if we only let CJ face lefties he will put up some nice stats that will make it easier to unload his contract.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Coppy is tied up in a closet somewhere. I hear John Hart is kicking the tires Matt Dominguez. He assumes he will be a great player so why not?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I didn't like it when the Braves dumped him the first time. If he can keep the excess tonnage off, he remains an ideal platoon partner with CJ, just like he was when he was here before.

It's fine to have a separate thread for a controversial player like Juan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    We do need someone to fill the void left behind by the departures of Laird and Harang. I know no single person can fill a void that large, but we need to manage somehow.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Garmel (12-05-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    While I think the Braves will obtain a LHed hitter to platoon at 3b, I think there are better options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    While I think the Braves will obtain a LHed hitter to platoon at 3b, I think there are better options.
    One of them will be playing in AAA for us this year. But he and the club would be better off if he spent at least half the season there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    One of them will be playing in AAA for us this year. But he and the club would be better off if he spent at least half the season there.
    Franciscos compensation wouldn't be so large that he couldn't be sat for Kubitza if the time came.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Franciscos compensation wouldn't be so large that he couldn't be sat for Kubitza if the time came.
    Agreed. And neither of them is a sure thing. So might as well have multiple options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I think the Braves will be better able to lure a low to middle end free agent that can play both 2B and 3B since there will be ABs available in both spots. For the lesser FAs, playing time can sometimes be more important than $, and this should help the Braves from a bargaining standpoint. The RoadRunner, as Chipper called him, wouldn't fit that mold. Descalso, Callaspo, and KJ can all play 2B and 3B and hit RHP well enough to platoon.

And I echo nsacpi's comment about Juan not fitting the culture the Braves are trying to build. He seemed like a stoic guy - and that's cool - but he didn't run out ground balls consistently or show the level of effort you hope to see from a young guy trying to establish himself.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    (1) I'm down with signing Francisco, but only if Hessman is signed as the RHH side of the platoon.

(2) Kelly Johnson or Daniel Descalso would be a nice addition. Hadn't thought of Callaspo, but he'd fit the bill as well.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Say no to Fat Juan. If I have to watch one more ****in' Brave strikeout 120 times in 350 at bats, I'm gonna puke.

I'd rather give sac's boy kubizagubicza a shot over there if we're platooning.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

yeezus (12-07-2014)

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I personally think that it would be wise to get someone like Descalso or Kelly Johnson for a couple reasons:

1. They can play multiple positions
    Descalso- 2B/SS/3B
    Johnson- 3B/2B/1B/OF

2. In the case of Descalso -and Johnson to a certain extent- they can enter as a defensive replacement for CJ late in games.

3. To me the most important reason is because they wouldn't cost much and are comfortable in a reduced role. I say this because I truly believe we will see a CJ that produces closer to his career average. - .273/.319/.411 against RHP and .312/.349/.443 against LHP- Which wouldn't require a platoon with someone other than the normal off-days and maybe a day off against tough righties.

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by blueagleace1; 12-06-2014 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Fixed his .OBP
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blueagleace1 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-06-2014), GovClintonTyree (12-05-2014), nsacpi (12-06-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    I personally think that it would be wise to get someone like Descalso or Kelly Johnson for a couple reasons:

1. They can play multiple positions
    Descalso- 2B/SS/3B
    Johnson- 3B/2B/1B/OF

2. In the case of Descalso -and Johnson to a certain extent- they can enter as a defensive replacement for CJ late in games.

3. To me the most important reason is because they wouldn't cost much and are comfortable in a reduced role. I say this because I truly believe we will see a CJ that produces closer to his career average. - .273/.309/.411 against RHP and .312/.349/.443 against LHP- Which wouldn't require a platoon with someone other than the normal off-days and maybe a day off against tough righties.

Just my opinion.
    I agree with you. I'm not ready to toss CJ yet. I think he's closer to the guy we saw in '13 than '14. He lost his stroke and got away from his approach trying to hit for power. I think he's going to work well with Seitzer. I also like that he's got the red ass and is good for starting two brawls a year.

I think we should resign Bonifacio and hope they're talking. He's a handy guy to have around. With Melvin and CJ and whatever we do at second, there are 550 at bats for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I agree with you. I'm not ready to toss CJ yet. I think he's closer to the guy we saw in '13 than '14. He lost his stroke and got away from his approach trying to hit for power. I think he's going to work well with Seitzer. I also like that he's got the red ass and is good for starting two brawls a year.

I think we should resign Bonifacio and hope they're talking. He's a handy guy to have around. With Melvin and CJ and whatever we do at second, there are 550 at bats for him.
    I would love for them to re-sign Boni for one reason in particular.. so he can play 2B full time (while also taking time in CF and letting Gosselin get some reps at 2B/3B) and not have to rush Peraza. I think he would benefit greatly by spending a full season at AAA and possibly getting a September call up.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to blueagleace1 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-06-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    I would love for them to re-sign Boni for one reason in particular.. so he can play 2B full time (while also taking time in CF and letting Gosselin get some reps at 2B/3B) and not have to rush Peraza. I think he would benefit greatly by spending a full season at AAA and possibly getting a September call up.
    Makes all the sense in the world. I think maybe you and Hawk need to take over for John-John.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Makes all the sense in the world. I think maybe you and Hawk need to take over for John-John.
    Let me ask you this... If Bonifacio isn't re-signed are you comfortable with Pastornicky/Gosselin handling 2B? If not, who are some possible names you'd like to see get a chance?

BTW- You are a great poster yourself, and it seems you have a lot of knowledge about the game and our organization. Keep up the great post!!
    Last edited by blueagleace1; 12-05-2014 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Let me ask you this... If Bonifacio isn't re-signed are you comfortable with Pastornicky/Gosselin handling 2B? If not, who are some possible names you'd like to see get a chance?

BTW- You are a great poster yourself, and it seems you have a lot of knowledge about the game and our organization. Keep up the great post!!
    I don't like Pastornicky. If they're uncomfortable letting Gosselin handle it, I think you bring in Descalso. He seemed like a Cards kind of player, I'm surprised they let him go.

I liked what I saw of Gosselin, BB% notwithstanding. Curious to see if he couldn't handle it, then maybe to third if CJ struggles.

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    I3. To me the most important reason is because they wouldn't cost much and are comfortable in a reduced role. I say this because I truly believe we will see a CJ that produces closer to his career average. - .273/.309/.411 against RHP and .312/.349/.443 against LHP- Which wouldn't require a platoon with someone other than the normal off-days and maybe a day off against tough righties.

Just my opinion.
    A .309 OBP is the definition of needing to be platooned.
    All you need is Hart and Cox.