Thread: More on Accountability

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

More on Accountability

I live near the Gulf and work with scientists that have been involved in studying the spill .

Pretty sure
    a) there are no poor black people running Halliburton
    b) there will no be no demands of accountability from white-white America for the ever elusive "accountability" when it centers around the monied right wing war machine.
    c) Bill O'Reilly will not present another well thought out commentary condemning the culture of Halliburton that cost our nation (how much again??) $$ - and caused irreparable damage to a natural resource that provides jobs and recreation to many many -- everyday Americans. Black White Brown Yellow Red and Green
    Anyway:
    //
    Halliburton has admitted that it destroyed evidence during the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill disaster, a criminal act designed to keep the blame—and the government's anger—squarely focused on BP and Transocean as an estimated 5 million barrels of crude oil leaked into the Gulf of Mexico. The surprising admission will bring with it a guilty plea to one count of criminal conduct, a $200,000 statutory fine, and three years probation for the oil services giant, the Justice Department announced Thursday evening.
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...estroying.html
    /////

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    New board. Same old tired arguments. Damn the libs, like Siamese twins, are attached to this kick me I'm black narrative!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VOLracious For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (07-26-2013)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    There haven't been many folks rushing to hold their "community" accountable for bull****ting a AAA rating onto securities backed by by subprime mortgages, walking away with millions by playing both ends against the middle, then promoting the socialization of the cleanup.

There's probably a substantial overlap between people who fetishize financial success as proof of virtue and people who think that the problem in the black community is a lack of accountability.

Hell, for that matter, life in rural america is pretty grim, dangerous, and poverty-stricken. WHERE IS THE ACCOUNTABILITY?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    We have allowed the wealthy to take all the money from the middle class in the last 30-40 years. Its pretty scary how much consolidation of wealth there is in this country. People are making money on paper gains without actually contributing any value to society. Sure, the middle class can still have comfortable lives and not be poverty stricken but how much longer will that hold up? Companies only have obligations to their shareholders who are guess who....wealthy people. There is no accountability to the middle class. Screw the poor. You can get out of poverty with just a little effort. The crunch on the middle class is the real issue in this country and its only going to get worse as our government has sold out to every corporation under the sun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    "Apples and oranges are exactly the same."

-Steak Sauce and Julio3000

Funny... I sure didn't hear Steak Sauce and Julio3000 from the internet complain about accountability when it was brought up by none other than Barack Obama in his recent speech.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The President calls on people to be accountable regularly. It's kinda his job.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    The President calls on people to be accountable regularly. It's kinda his job.
    It could start with my people not killing each over over bling and drugs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VOLracious View Post
    New board. Same old tired arguments. Damn the libs, like Siamese twins, are attached to this kick me I'm black narrative!
    Thanks for leaving me out there to dry you bastard.
    Last edited by AerchAngel; 07-26-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Arizona Fall Leaguer BravesBlock's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    We have allowed the wealthy to take all the money from the middle class in the last 30-40 years. Its pretty scary how much consolidation of wealth there is in this country. People are making money on paper gains without actually contributing any value to society. Sure, the middle class can still have comfortable lives and not be poverty stricken but how much longer will that hold up? Companies only have obligations to their shareholders who are guess who....wealthy people. There is no accountability to the middle class. Screw the poor. You can get out of poverty with just a little effort. The crunch on the middle class is the real issue in this country and its only going to get worse as our government has sold out to every corporation under the sun.
    Totally agree. The question is how do we reverse this trend? Wealth and power in this country are way too concentrated - how can we go about changing this?

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    "Apples and oranges are exactly the same."

-Steak Sauce and Julio3000

Funny... I sure didn't hear Steak Sauce and Julio3000 from the internet complain about accountability when it was brought up by none other than Barack Obama in his recent speech.
    My comment was meant to underscore the knee-jerk and often silly calls for accountability from an ill-defined, and often un-defineable, group of people.

Is street crime bad? Is multibillion dollar fraud bad? Can you so glibly reduce the structural issues that lead to either one to a problem that can be solved by a finger-wagging call for "accountability?" Individuals should be accountable for their actions. Individuals should also work collectively to understand the causes of these problems.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (07-27-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts

Arizona Fall Leaguer BravesBlock's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Accountability is spoken toward the end of this video. Started to add it to another thread but once I heard that word I thought this thread may be the place for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    My comment was meant to underscore the knee-jerk and often silly calls for accountability from an ill-defined, and often un-defineable, group of people.

Is street crime bad? Is multibillion dollar fraud bad? Can you so glibly reduce the structural issues that lead to either one to a problem that can be solved by a finger-wagging call for "accountability?" Individuals should be accountable for their actions. Individuals should also work collectively to understand the causes of these problems.

When one side summarily dismisses legitimate points and facts presented by the other side then the problem will never be solved. Obviously it's not just one issue, but trying to mock it with poor comparisons is pointless. Obama and Sharpton agree with a lot of what was in Bill O's video. To deny the harmful cultural shifts is just putting your head in the sand. Better drug laws, better education, better discipline, more accountability from within are all important factors.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    When one side summarily dismisses legitimate points and facts presented by the other side then the problem will never be solved. Obviously it's not just one issue, but trying to mock it with poor comparisons is pointless. Obama and Sharpton agree with a lot of what was in Bill O's video. To deny the harmful cultural shifts is just putting your head in the sand. Better drug laws, better education, better discipline, more accountability from within are all important factors.
    So Sharpton got a call from God saying "Thou shall not churn the waters of race baiting"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Dumping two of biggest draws in talk radio is stupid.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,468 Posts
    Obviously he was costing them money or else why woudl they.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Dumping two of biggest draws in talk radio is stupid.
    Isn't that the disconnect right there? Someone you disagree with you call to be held accountable while someone you agree with you give a rationalized pass? Plain old capitalism at work from where I sit. The boycott worked. Another angle is the aging / dying dempographic both Limbaugh and Hannity carry going into the next few years. Reading the article (from over a year ago) seems Huckabee won the White-White off of right wing talk radio. Again, the ole do-re-me made the decision

I told you a year ago this was happening

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I am glad the (R) House of Reps is holding ACORN accountable: It really is about time!!

WASHINGTON -- When House GOP leaders abruptly shelved a bill to fund standard federal transportation and housing programs last Wednesday, one of the legislation's few uncontroversial provisions was a section banning funds for the anti-poverty group ACORN. Had Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio) been able to pass the bill, it would have marked the 13th time that Republicans have voted to block federal funding for ACORN since the GOP took over the lower chamber in 2011.

Oddly, however, ACORN, or the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, does not exist. And it did not exist at any time when the House GOP has held a vote on ACORN's access to government monies -- the group disbanded in the spring of 2010.