Thread: Bullpen thoughts and Vizcaino question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts

Bullpen thoughts and Vizcaino question

We recently lost Simmons to TJS as y'all know. So I had figured that meant that minor league signings Veras and Kohn both had a great shot to make the team. But now I am not so sure that both do because of reports that Arodys Vizcaino is "out of options" according to a couple sources online (namely Gondeee via twitter here). Plus a Cubs source states about Viz and his option status: "Arodys Vizcaino, by contrast, has options left, but, because of his big league service time (he collected it while on the 60-day DL on the 40-man roster), he has to clear optional assignment waivers before actually being optioned to Iowa. There seems to be a gentleman’s agreement not to grab guys like Vizcaino if they wind up on waivers (for the purpose of optioning him to AAA) at the end of Spring Training, but that’s entirely anecdotal on my part, and I could be mistaken."

Further, I had thought that Viz had one option left and didn't have to clear waivers to be sent down. If I was mistaken then I guess Gondeee is right to call him a lock as he does since he's not someone you want to try to slip through waivers right after trading La Stella for him. And if that is the case, that would then leave only one spot barring injury/trade rather than two for Kohn, Veras and others to grab with a strong Spring Training.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 02-19-2015 at 03:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I believe Arodys has one option year left. His contract was purchased in 8/2011 and the first time he was optioned down was in 2013 (and then again in 2014).

Regarding optional assignment waivers, he does have to pass through that process since his contract was purchased by an MLB team > 3 years ago. If the Braves tried to pass Arodys through optional assignment waivers, a team could try to claim him, which would force the Braves to pull him back. Because these waivers are revocable, it ends up being kind of pointless for teams to claim guys unless they're trying to prevent a rival from getting better during a pennant race. So I think the Braves would almost certainly get him through, but it's something to consider.

All that said, I think Arodys will make the team if he's healthy and has a decent showing. His service time situation is such that there's little to be gained by sending him down. I think it's very likely that Veras has an opt-out in his minor league deal, so I figure he's got a great shot too. Since Kohn signed so early (presumably because he's a southern boy who really wanted to be a Brave), I think it's less likely he has an opt-out. He might be the odd man out if everyone is healthy and non one is traded.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-19-2015), JohnAdcox (02-20-2015), Knucksie (02-19-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I believe Arodys has one option year left. His contract was purchased in 8/2011 and the first time he was optioned down was in 2013 (and then again in 2014).

Regarding optional assignment waivers, he does have to pass through that process since his contract was purchased by an MLB team > 3 years ago. If the Braves tried to pass Arodys through optional assignment waivers, a team could try to claim him, which would force the Braves to pull him back. Because these waivers are revocable, it ends up being kind of pointless for teams to claim guys unless they're trying to prevent a rival from getting better during a pennant race. So I think the Braves would almost certainly get him through, but it's something to consider.

All that said, I think Arodys will make the team if he's healthy and has a decent showing. His service time situation is such that there's little to be gained by sending him down. I think it's very likely that Veras has an opt-out in his minor league deal, so I figure he's got a great shot too. Since Kohn signed so early (presumably because he's a southern boy who really wanted to be a Brave), I think it's less likely he has an opt-out. He might be the odd man out if everyone is healthy and non one is traded.
    I thought so too before reading Gondeee's tweet, it seems he is mistaken. Also, good point about optional assignment waivers being revocable. I had started to edit my post and add that point but I didn't because I figured someone like you would add that to the discussion. Further, I would argue that point goes against Gondeee's view that Viz is a lock. Though I'd agree he has a very good shot for the reasons you state. I also found it interesting Gondeee listed Viz as a lock but not Josh Outman who was signed to Major league deal.