Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Gattis Traded To Astros (pg. 13)

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    High contact rate and low strikeout rate =\= high on base percentage. Pass the pipe.
    This thread is where you should be spending your time..

http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2946
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    How is Markakis a better hitter than Heyward?

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    The only two that will be worse will be catcher and left field (and that is still uncertain since we don't know who will be in left). How will RF be much worse? Defensively.. yes! Offensively.. not worse at all, maybe a bit better.
    no rf wont be better.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    The only two that will be worse will be catcher and left field (and that is still uncertain since we don't know who will be in left). How will RF be much worse? Defensively.. yes! Offensively.. not worse at all, maybe a bit better.
    No it will almost certainly be worse. Lok at our last 3 seasons from Markakis and Heyward and last 2 as well.

Last 3 years Jason had a 116 wRC+ Markakis 104

Last 2 years Jason had a 114 wRC+ Markakis 97

Markakis was better than Jason 1 out of last 3 seasons, and that was by a small amount in 2012, basically the same amound Jason was better last year. Jason was streets ahead of Markakis in 2013.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Getting the Astro's, who have a very good farm system, #3, #8 and #20 prospects is a hell of a haul for Gattis. I'll miss Oso Blanco, but you have to be happy with this trade.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    No it will almost certainly be worse. Lok at our last 3 seasons from Markakis and Heyward and last 2 as well.

Last 3 years Jason had a 116 wRC+ Markakis 104

Last 2 years Jason had a 114 wRC+ Markakis 97

Markakis was better than Jason 1 out of last 3 seasons, and that was by a small amount in 2012, basically the same amound Jason was better last year. Jason was streets ahead of Markakis in 2013.
    CAREER (average) OPS+

Heyward- 114
    Markakis- 113

I don't see how that is "much worse". I think (just my opinion) that Markakis is consistently a better offensive player than Jason. Is he a better all-around player? Absolutely not and it's not even close but just from an offensive standpoint, you can make the case for Markakis.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    The past doesn't matter, only the future performance. Markakis was pretty good to start his career, that isn't the player he is anymore and it shouldn't factor into what you think he is now. If anything Markakis is a cautionary tale against signing Heywood to a huge contract. If his bad doesn't improve what happens when he loses some speed and defense as he ages. Then your paying 25 mill a year for what Markakis is now.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    the Markakis signing just makes less and less sense
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (01-15-2015)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    CAREER (average) OPS+

Heyward- 114
    Markakis- 113

I don't see how that is "much worse". I think (just my opinion) that Markakis is consistently a better offensive player than Jason. Is he a better all-around player? Absolutely not and it's not even close but just from an offensive standpoint, you can make the case for Markakis.
    Not if youbtake age and recent performance into account.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    CAREER (average) OPS+

Heyward- 114
    Markakis- 113

Career OPS+ when one player is going into year 10 and one into year 6 is not really relevant.

Markakis's last season with a OPS+ over 110 and 140 games or more played was Jason's rookie season. Markakis being a fantastic hitter in 2008 doesn't play much into his 2015 performance. Nor does Jason's 2010 performance.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    I think most know that I'm in favor of the rebuild and while Wren deserves a lot of the blame...one should not turn a blind eye to JS and him overseeing the downfall and shortcomings if the FO at that point in time, and failed to solve the problem.

JS is one of the biggest hypocrites in sports along with Coach K. They bask in the glory of their past success but fail to look in the mirror and take responsibility and solve the problems at hand.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I'm still confused on why everyone says we HAD NO CHANCE at signing EITHER Heyward or Upton. If that is the case, how the heck do we expect to compete in two years? If we can't afford a single premium talent on our roster?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (01-15-2015)

Arizona Fall Leaguer Tino25Dynasty's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Interesting perspectives in here.... All I have to say is.... Hey, We're lucky. As a kid born in the mid-80's, I've never had to see my favorite team rebuild before. We've been spoiled. Still retaining the nucleus. Kimbrel, Freeman, Simmons, Teheran.... Gonna be tough watching us just sorta "there" for the next couple seasons. But it's something most franchises have to go through at some point. Let's hope it goes well.
    Last edited by Tino25Dynasty; 01-15-2015 at 02:30 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tino25Dynasty For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tino25Dynasty View Post
    Interesting perspectives in here.... All I have to say is.... hey... We're lucky. As a mid kids born in the mid-80's... Have never had to see by favorite team rebuild before. We've been spoiled. Still retaining the nucleus. Kimbrel, Freeman, Simmons, Teheran.... Gonna be tough watching us just sorta "there" for the next couple seasons. But it's something most franchises have to go through at some point. Let's hope it goes well.
    The good news is if it doesn't go well we can always trade Kimbrel, Freeman, Simmons and Teheran to build up our farm system.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (01-15-2015), bravesnumberone (01-15-2015)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    MLB Pipeline slots Folty at #2, Ruiz at #6. Thurman sits just outside our top 20. So we got two of our top 6 prospects for Gattis. Nice!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I'm still confused on why everyone says we HAD NO CHANCE at signing EITHER Heyward or Upton. If that is the case, how the heck do we expect to compete in two years? If we can't afford a single premium talent on our roster?
    It was not signing them for what they valued them at. Why pay more for something that you believe isn't worth that much? We can debate their value all day but it's clear the Braves did not value these players as strongly as some on this board. We will see what their future production tells us about the Braves assessment.
    Natural Immunity Croc

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    It was not signing them for what they valued them at. Why pay more for something that you believe isn't worth that much? We can debate their value all day but it's clear the Braves did not value these players as strongly as some on this board. We will see what their future production tells us about the Braves assessment.
    If they don't value them, who is going to be available that we will value?

You're blind defense of everything the org does is annoying.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    I'm excited about the rebuild. Is it going to be painful to watch this team? Yes it is but it was painful to watch last year as well. Even the year before when they won the division it was hard because of how inconsistent the offense was. I guess I'm like thethe, I like to focus on the positive and try to understand what the front office is trying to accomplish. These are paid professionals (one's who have had success in the past) so my guess is they know what they are doing. I understand fans are upset at the possibility of this team being the worst team in baseball and they want to think if we would have kept the team in tact next year things would have been different and we would have been a playoff team but chances are that would not have happened. Rebuilding is not a sure thing, there is a reason prospects are called prospects, they may or may not work out but if you come to the conclusion that Heyward and Upton were not resigning and you don't believe this team is in position to win a World Series this year then a rebuild is not a bad strategy. Everyone has a right to their own opinion but you have to say this about the front office, they have a plan and are sticking to it. Let's just hope it works like they are hoping, if it does we could look back on these deals and be very thankful some hard decisions were made.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-14-2015), clvclv (01-15-2015), CrimsonCowboy (01-14-2015), NYCBrave (01-15-2015), Perfect Cell (01-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    If they don't value them, who is going to be available that we will value?

You're blind defense of everything the org does is annoying.
    I stated many times that I would have extended Upton. However I didn't think paying top dollar for Heyward was smart. But now that they were traded I have faith in the proplr in charge of the scou ting wing of the organization.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    I'm excited about the rebuild. Is it going to be painful to watch this team? Yes it is but it was painful to watch last year as well. Even the year before when they won the division it was hard because of how inconsistent the offense was. I guess I'm like thethe, I like to focus on the positive and try to understand what the front office is trying to accomplish. These are paid professionals (one's who have had success in the past) so my guess is they know what they are doing. I understand fans are upset at the possibility of this team being the worst team in baseball and they want to think if we would have kept the team in tact next year things would have been different and we would have been a playoff team but chances are that would not have happened. Rebuilding is not a sure thing, there is a reason prospects are called prospects, they may or may not work out but if you come to the conclusion that Heyward and Upton were not resigning and you don't believe this team is in position to win a World Series this year then a rebuild is not a bad strategy. Everyone has a right to their own opinion but you have to say this about the front office, they have a plan and are sticking to it. Let's just hope it works like they are hoping, if it does we could look back on these deals and be very thankful some hard decisions were made.
    But the good thing about it is that we have acquired pitching, which has been and is the strength of this organization as far as evaluation, development, and getting the most out of those players...so I essence with what we have acquired we should have enough to the point where we're gonna get good production out of this talent despite some flameouts, injuries, etc...and our evaluation will be key during this time in determining who stays and will have the largest impact and those that are expendable to acquire other needs (ie offense) to put a legit contender on the field.