Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Gattis Traded To Astros (pg. 13)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    We had one of the worst lineups in baseball and traded two of our best hitters.

Im not saying theyre the 27 Yankees but thats still a better lineup than we have.

Although thats not really saying much.
    And we had some guys that really stunk it up and with slight improvements could make a big difference. Players have up and down seasons all the time.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    What's your alternative?
    Work toward keeping one, preferably Justin. Show some creativity instead of making assumptions and strained claims that you have no alternative way to stay viable. Don't throw money at an aging outfielder when you plan to suck . Invest in the team. Terrible I know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    If our #4 hitter hits .300 with RISP it could make a nice difference.
    A lot of crazy things happen in baseball. We still have a solid core.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

emk418 (12-22-2014), thethe (12-22-2014)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Marlins do have a great team.

Pen is so-so, but.

Fernandez, Latos, Koehler, Alvarez, Cosart is a pretty good rotation.

1-8: Salty, Morse, Gordon, Hec, Prado, Yelish, Ozuna, and Stanton is a pretty good lineup.

Seriously have to be delusional to think we're better than them.

Mets finished with the same record as we did, but we lost JUp, Heyward, Harang, and Erv, while the Mets dont lose much but add Cuddyer and get Harvey back.

What have we done to improve?
    Great? I think that's slightly exaggerated. Let's not forgot the Jose Fernandez won't be a year removed from TJ until mid May. I'm sure he'll be very good next year when he makes it back but what if there are some small set backs or it takes him time to regain his form? Yes we can't match a healthy Fernandez but let's not act like we don't have a young developing ace as well. We need a 5th starter but Teheran/Wood/Miller/Minor is a hell of a top 4 and very easily could be second best after Wash.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    And we had some guys that really stunk it up and with slight improvements could make a big difference. Players have up and down seasons all the time.
    This is probably our lineup barring a Gattis trade.

C- CB.
    1b- FF.
    2B- Callapso.
    SS- Simba.
    3B- CJ.
    LF- Gattis.
    CF- Beej.
    RF- Markakis.

I dont see how that is better than Mia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    This is probably our lineup barring a Gattis trade.

C- CB.
    1b- FF.
    2B- Callapso.
    SS- Simba.
    3B- CJ.
    LF- Gattis.
    CF- Beej.
    RF- Markakis.

I dont see how that is better than Mia.
    Nobody is saying we have a good lineup. All we're saying is that after Washington...the Braves, Mets, and Marlins all have very questionable lineups but very good young pitching. As things stand today it's going to be a crapshoot behind the Nats.

I think Jace could really be a solid addition to our lineup this year getting on base at a good rate and adding speed to the lineup. If he can become a solid 2 hitter that would allow us to platoon CJ and Callaspo at 3B.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    When fans are feeling down they have a tendency to see all the questions on other teams as positive and all their own as negatives. The Fish have a ton of questions, and so do we. Please do not tell me they're clearly better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Work toward keeping one, preferably Justin. Show some creativity instead of making assumptions and strained claims that you have no alternative way to stay viable. Don't throw money at an aging outfielder when you plan to suck . Invest in the team. Terrible I know.
    I have said many times the preference was to extent Justin. But, you seem to making an assumption that they didn't try to keep Justin. Maybe they did and after they found out that was going no where this was the best route. I don't think the Braves plan to suck either. I think they are being smart about a rebuild and taking opportunities that present themselves to make this team ready to win a WS in 2017.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The starting pitching has a chance to be one of the best rotations in baseball. Thats a great start. Just need someone to take a step forward next year on the farm. If this philosophy have faster higher contact players works out we might have a really tough team to beat in a short series.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    The starting pitching has a chance to be one of the best rotations in baseball.

Umm, no.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Umm, no.
    Lets see who fills out the 5th spot. I still think that is going to come via a trade of Gattis.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Does it really matter what position in the division this team will finish? The Braves were pretty much the worst offense in MLB and finished below .500 last year.

They then proceeded to replace 3 of their 4 best hitters in JUp, Heyward and TLS with a guy that won't even sniff a .300 OBP in CB, a guy who might duplicate Heyward's offense but has no potential to improve in Markakis, and a warm body in Callaspo or some fringy prospect in Jace.

The rotation lost 400 very high quality innings pitched from Santana and Harang, and the hope is that Miller can rebound to pitch like Santana, and some other reclamation project can replicate Harang's results.

Take a .500 team and downgrade both the lineup AND the rotation and what do you get? A team that probably won't even win 75 games.

Make no mistake, it is going to be absolutely brutal watching the Braves next year.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (12-22-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Umm, no.
    Umm yes. We have two top of the rotation starters in Teheran and Wood who should continue to get better. Miller has all the talent in the world and is due to break out and could be a devastating top 3. We all know what kind of pitcher Minor can be when healthy. We just need a solid innings eater in the 5th spot.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    When fans are feeling down they have a tendency to see all the questions on other teams as positive and all their own as negatives. The Fish have a ton of questions, and so do we. Please do not tell me they're clearly better.
    They are clearly better, that is a fact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Does it really matter what position in the division this team will finish? The Braves were pretty much the worst offense in MLB and finished below .500 last year.

They then proceeded to replace 3 of their 4 best hitters in JUp, Heyward and TLS with a guy that won't even sniff a .300 OBP in CB, a guy who might duplicate Heyward's offense but has no potential to improve in Markakis, and a warm body in Callaspo or some fringy prospect in Jace.

The rotation lost 400 very high quality innings pitched from Santana and Harang, and the hope is that Miller can rebound to pitch like Santana, and some other reclamation project can replicate Harang's results.

Take a .500 team and downgrade both the lineup AND the rotation and what do you get? A team that probably won't even win 75 games.

Make no mistake, it is going to be absolutely brutal watching the Braves next year.
    It will be no less brutal than last years team. Last year was the first year in 10 years since I started purchasing the MLB package that I didn't watch more than 50% of Brave games. Thats all I need to know.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Umm, no.
    Julio, Wood, Minor, Miller is a solid 1-4.

If they can sign a vet to fill out the 5th or trade Gattis for that other starter, then yeah it is, might be regardless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    Umm yes. We have two top of the rotation starters in Teheran and Wood who should continue to get better. Miller has all the talent in the world and is due to break out and could be a devastating top 3. We all know what kind of pitcher Minor can be when healthy. We just need a solid innings eater in the 5th spot.
    Teheran and Wood could both potentially be top 20 pitchers. They are absolute studs.
    Natural Immunity Croc

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Always makes more sense to trade a closer at the deadline. That is what Hart is going to do.
    No such things as absolutes in baseball - just sayin'.

I certainly don't feel like I'm going out on a limb when I say that Hart doesn't get any more for him in July from Detroit or Toronto than he gets today (if he's willing to move him). I feel quite comfortable betting that if you leak that he's available now that you're going to have MORE suitors - one significant SP injury to either of those teams during the first half and they're out of it (unless one signs Scherzer and the other signs Shields of course).
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Chris Johnson has consistently been one of our best (and damn good) with RISP. Guess we should bat him #4 next year?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    It will be no less brutal than last years team. Last year was the first year in 10 years since I started purchasing the MLB package that I didn't watch more than 50% of Brave games. Thats all I need to know.
    Except last year the Braves were in contention pretty much the entire season. Next year the Braves are basically out of it on opening day. Just being realistic.

There aren't even any exciting prospects to watch debut next year, unless you call a speedy slap hitter exciting.