Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sign here if you want MikeAdams to come back.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    You are a douche bag.

I should delete your post and ask Sav to ban you for that, you piece of crap.
    He did bring up a valid point about the burger flipper/MLB GM's on this site. This place truly is crawling with a group of socially-awkward youngsters with little concept of the sport beyond what appears on Fangraphs.

Just to add, not going to be overly negative about the thread concept, but was not understanding why Mike Adams is held in such regard, other than maybe he lent a voice to the so-called sabermetricians. He used to try to counter my point about Cox's time as GM, but there were very valid points about some of the miscues. He never wanted to acknowledge those moments.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    You are a douche bag.

I should delete your post and ask Sav to ban you for that, you piece of crap.
    He did bring up a valid point about the burger flipper/MLB GM's on this site. This place truly is crawling with a group of socially-awkward youngsters with little concept of the sport beyond what appears on Fangraphs.

Just to add, not going to be overly negative about the thread concept, but was not understanding why Mike Adams is held in such regard, other than maybe he lent a voice to the so-called sabermetricians. He used to try to counter my point about Cox's time as GM, but documented points about some of the miscues (while acknowledging the right moves, as well). He never wanted to acknowledge that mistakes were made between 1985-1990.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post

Just to add, not going to be overly negative about the thread concept, but was not understanding why Mike Adams is held in such regard, other than maybe he lent a voice to the so-called sabermetricians. He used to try to counter my point about Cox's time as GM, but documented points about some of the miscues (while acknowledging the right moves, as well). He never wanted to acknowledge that mistakes were made between 1985-1990.
    He was for the most part pretty levelheaded and fair.

And he was also a key contributor in the overnight Tim Hudson thread in 2004 with the Peak-A-Boo Zoo and Hot Nudism gags.
    Forever Fredi

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts

Just to add, not going to be overly negative about the thread concept, but was not understanding why Mike Adams is held in such regard, other than maybe he lent a voice to the so-called sabermetricians. He used to try to counter my point about Cox's time as GM, but there were very valid points about some of the miscues. He never wanted to acknowledge those moments.
    Well, for some of those years the guy who ran the board was hostile and dismissive towards "the so-called sabermetricians." Mike's mod status and general respectability allowed him to discuss things even-handedly and advance conversations when other members wouldn't, or couldn't.

He had tough days like everyone else, but Mike was able to haunt these halls for years and argue about baseball without coming off like a total bellend. Obviously, not all of us can do that.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (12-23-2014), BremanFan88 (12-24-2014), jpx7 (12-23-2014)

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    My favorite poster on the old forum. He was one of the smartest and funniest posters I've seen on any of my teams message boards. He used to pretend he was Mike Adams the pitcher, lol.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    I think we could have extent him but no, we didn't even discuss it with him. Instead we're stuck with folks who actually post consistently. Those posts may only be singles and not homers like Mike hit; but, at least they are posts which extent threads. Now if we can lock up some good, talented, young posters we'll be set.
    I don't know. After this disappointing year I might have to donate some of our top posters to Scout. Then sign a veteran like Patio for 4/44 and hope he brings in great leadership.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    If I remember correctly Mike stopped posting after the infield fly game. The board was melting down and turned upside down. Mike who was also pissed had to balance moderating and allowing people to vent. People started getting banned by Patio (talking long bans here) and other people just vented faster than he could moderate and I think that was a breaking point for him.
    Forever Fredi

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugfan View Post
    He used to pretend he was Mike Adams the pitcher, lol.
    Sure ... pretend.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
    Then sign a veteran like Patio for 4/44 and hope he brings in great leadership.
    There's definitely a bulging disk involved.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    I don't know. After this disappointing year I might have to donate some of our top posters to Scout. Then sign a veteran like Patio for 4/44 and hope he brings in great leadership.

Just check his track record before you do. We at least want guys that can put the ball in play. Looking at Scout I'm just seeing swings and misses.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Biggest "plus" Mike brought to the table IMO - he was a "stathead" without beating you over the head with it. He understood that continuously rambling on about the numbers often hacked off as many people as it made happy. Many of the scrums usually come about when someone who believes you can absolutely project the future by grinding numbers on their spreadsheets aren't willing to allow that the numbers don't always tell the whole story and that there are times (gulp) when even the most advanced metrics simply wind up being wrong.

I wonder if Mike wasn't part of the reason that Trojan actually finally had to put the disclaimer that their product is only 97% effective on the box.

Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (12-23-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    If I remember correctly Mike stopped posting after the infield fly game. The board was melting down and turned upside down. Mike who was also pissed had to balance moderating and allowing people to vent. People started getting banned by Patio (talking long bans here) and other people just vented faster than he could moderate and I think that was a breaking point for him.
    Yeah, I really wanted to hear Mike's opinion on acquiring the Upton brothers, but he was gone by that point. Would really like to hear his opinion on this offseason.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-23-2014), The Chosen One (12-23-2014)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Speaking of level headed moderators from Fanhome, where the hell is Nocahoma?

I see rniki lurking around every once and a while -- I remember she used to work at Turner Field.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I found him one of the more helpful moderators.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,865 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Well, for some of those years the guy who ran the board was hostile and dismissive towards "the so-called sabermetricians." Mike's mod status and general respectability allowed him to discuss things even-handedly and advance conversations when other members wouldn't, or couldn't.

He had tough days like everyone else, but Mike was able to haunt these halls for years and argue about baseball without coming off like a total bellend. Obviously, not all of us can do that.
    My first ban was arguing that Francoeur wasn't that good. Good times.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,815 Posts
    Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal Dec23
    Have heard through source ChopCountry has reached out to MikeAdams for a return. No deal is close or certain

Jon Heyman @JonHeymanCBS Dec23
    There has been initial meetings from CC administration about talking to MikeAdams. Sources close to the Adams camp have been silent.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    He was for the most part pretty levelheaded and fair.

And he was also a key contributor in the overnight Tim Hudson thread in 2004 with the Peak-A-Boo Zoo and Hot Nudism gags.
    Would like to know more about the last part.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

Hawk (12-23-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post

It's been said by me many times that he who ran that site made entirely too much of that so-called debate (and overrated all Braves prospects, esp. if from Georgia). This ridiculous debate went so far as to creep into his book. The chapter devoted to the subject was sloppily-written, added nothing to the overall discourse and appeared to ride the coattails of the Moneyball book. It was silly and never had to be either/or to analyze the game and its players.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

Hawk (12-23-2014), jpx7 (12-23-2014), The Chosen One (12-23-2014)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Would like to know more about the last part.
    If you dont remember, the Hudson thread happened during the end of the winter meetings 2004 when we were on the verge of trading for Hudson. Bill had been reporting it and was actually kind of well liked around that time. Well Bill said his source said the deal would happen in the next 48 hours. For the next few days the Hudson thread would go over 100 pages with many outrageous posts. We were losing our minds and getting anxious. We were co commenting Fresh Prince of Bel Air episodes from Nick @ Nite at 3am. Mike would read Peak A Boo Zoo to his newborn at bedtime then said "one reading this thread and staying awake this late with a wandering mind discovers Tim Hudson is an anagram for Hot Nudism."

We were semi-plotting to bring a welcome brigade to Hartsfield tarmac for Schuerholz arriving from the Winter Meetings. Or send Bill to ask JS on the plane.
    Forever Fredi

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Hawk (12-23-2014), Knucksie (12-24-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    121 Posts

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Five For This Useful Post:

Hawk (12-23-2014), jpx7 (12-23-2014), Prikichi (12-24-2014), The Chosen One (12-23-2014), thewupk (12-23-2014)