Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Yankees Interested in Peraza

No thanks.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/0...se-peraza.html

King speculates that New York could offer a package of two prospects for Peraza, one of whom could be catcher Gary Sanchez. The Yankees seem set on John Ryan Murphy as their catcher of the future in anticipation of Brian McCann‘s eventual shift away from behind the plate, leaving Sanchez possibly expendable. Sanchez was himself a highly-ranked prospect prior to the 2014 season, which saw him post solid offensive numbers at Double-A, but his defensive prowess is a question mark and “his work ethic and maturity are concerns” according to the MLB.com scouting report.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Any time a team is coming to you in hot pursuit of a player, there's a chance that a really nice deal could be made (See Kimbrel, Craig). I have no problem moving Peraza, but it needs to be a CLEAR win for us in order to do so.

I know King is just speculating here, but Sanchez doesn't seem like a particularly good guess. I don't think the Braves need or want a RHH catcher with poor defense and a high K rate. I would trade Peraza for Severino and Judge though. Or even Judge and multiple high-ceiling players in the low minors.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I would trade Peraza for Severino and Judge though. Or even Judge and multiple high-ceiling players in the low minors.
    As would I, although I suspect the Braves would have to kick in another prospect under either of those scenarios.

Also, what about some of the Latin American talent the Yankees signed last season? Dermis/Gomez/DeLeon

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-16-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I would think if judge or no deal.
    Natural Immunity Croc

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-16-2015), UNCBlue012 (04-16-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Any time a team is coming to you in hot pursuit of a player, there's a chance that a really nice deal could be made (See Kimbrel, Craig). I have no problem moving Peraza, but it needs to be a CLEAR win for us in order to do so.

I know King is just speculating here, but Sanchez doesn't seem like a particularly good guess. I don't think the Braves need or want a RHH catcher with poor defense and a high K rate. I would trade Peraza for Severino and Judge though. Or even Judge and multiple high-ceiling players in the low minors.
    I agree. And in NY's case he would be a SS prospect I'd imagine generating a little higher cost than a 2b. If you could get Judge, I would imagine that would do it by itself. If JP plays some SS in the next few games, this thing probably has considerable legs. Rotoworld's take:

According to George A. King III of the New York Post, the Yankees have informed the Braves that they're highly interested in second base prospect Jose Peraza.

King says the Yankees' pursuit of Peraza "could be a strong sign they don’t believe Rob Refsnyder or Jose Pirela are long-term solutions at second base." Peraza, 20, batted .339/.364/.441 with 60 stolen bases in 110 games last season between High-A Lynchburg and Double-A Mississippi. He opened the 2015 campaign at Triple-A Gwinnett. Any club would want a young talent like this.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 04-16-2015 at 09:14 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    If NYY has indeed soured on Refsnyder he's welcome to come over too.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    I have not seen Aaron Judge play, but judging (see what I did there?) from his size, is he not going to be more of a DH-type?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I'm of the opinion that you always listen if a team is making an offer, but I can't imagine a package the Yankees could put together that would make me say yes.

Judge is a pretty good prospect, but in his 22-year-old season last year (I know it was his first in pro ball), he OPS's at .853 in A+. Peraza's 22-year-old season...will be next year.

It's possible Judge becomes a stud, but he's much further from a sure thing than Peraza is. I just wouldn't do the deal. The Yankees' system isn't that good, and I don't think we're sold on Peterson yet on the infield.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-16-2015), Dalyn (04-16-2015), UNCBlue012 (04-16-2015), zbhargrove (04-16-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I don't like the idea of trading Peraza, especially considering how Fredi is already acting toward Jace. Just because he was here before Hart took over doesn't mean he's terrible. I hope the organization understands that. He fits the new approach pretty damn well.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-16-2015), JohnAdcox (04-16-2015)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I'd do something built around Peraza for Judge as long as our front offices feels good about Jace at second and Rio Ruiz at third in the future. We have a lot of infield prospect talent, but the big thing we're missing in the minor leagues is impact power bats. Judge could be a RH power bat that we need, but he is a little further away than Peraza is so maybe we could get some high upside guys in the package, too. We're going to need someone, likely an outfielder, to protect Freeman and hit cleanup. Maybe Judge can be that guy?

But yeah, no interest in Gary Sanchez at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    While I think Judge and Peraza have similar value and Judge is a better fit four our go-forward needs, I would not trade Peraza for Judge straight up. We have the leverage in this conversation, so it needs to be Judge and other significant talent coming our way. Not just Judge and throw-ins.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-16-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I just don't see how, at this point, Judge is in any way comparable to Peraza. Judge may turn into a big power bat, but that remains to be seen. And while he is athletic for his size, I can't see a guy who is 6'7" 275 at 22 years old being anything more than a cumbersome OF several years down the road. It just seems like the bat will be the only thing he offers.

Peraza is a guy whose best attributes are his defense and speed...and he also hit over .330 in AA at age 20. That is a guy who is going to be a stud if he keeps hitting anywhere close to that level.

They would have to give us Judge plus several other good pieces for me to feel comfortable with that, and I'm sure they wouldn't be willing to do that.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-16-2015)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I know nothing about Judge but his size seems like he is kinda like a Mike Stanton type player

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I know nothing about Judge but his size seems like he is kinda like a Mike Stanton type player
    Judge is already a lot bigger than Stanton. He just seems like a guy who won't be able to move by the time he's in his late 20's. He's already a below-average base runner and only about average in terms of range in the outfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    I also agree trading Peraza for Judge at this point is a little short sighted and it would take more than Judge... however, is anyone else at least slightly concerned about Peraza's rough Spring and start in AAA? I'm worried about his patience a bit.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I also agree trading Peraza for Judge at this point is a little short sighted and it would take more than Judge... however, is anyone else at least slightly concerned about Peraza's rough Spring and start in AAA? I'm worried about his patience a bit.
    Not even a little at this point. It’ll really have to continue through next spring before I get all antsy-like.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-16-2015), zbhargrove (04-16-2015)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Huge guys are not usually as athletic as Stanton. That is extremely rare. Judge is even bigger. Being big is great, but being big does not make him Stanton like.
    That being said, he does sound promising, and I would be okay with him as a centerpiece of the deal.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Huge guys are not usually as athletic as Stanton. That is extremely rare. Judge is even bigger. Being big is great, but being big does not make him Stanton like.
    That being said, he does sound promising, and I would be okay with him as a centerpiece of the deal.
    Agreed. If the call starts with Judge, you listen. If it doesn’t, you pass.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    MLBTR has the Braves pooh-pooh'ing the idea of trading Peraza. Not that anything they said would mean much, either way.

Also in the "weird and probably irrelevant" category—I was looking for word on when Joanie Moncada would be landing in Greenville and found an article about his pro debut in extended ST. Per the article (link) the only non-Sox, non-media person in the stands was a Braves scout.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (04-16-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Trading a guy with a lot of talent, who offers value in several areas and fills a big need, who is almost ready...for a guy who is older yet much further away, with serious flaws? Why in the world would we make that deal?

We don't have to trade Peraza just because they're interested, so don't do it. Judge hit 18 HRs his entire college career and then hit 17 in A and A+ as a 22-year-old. He doesn't have anywhere close to the power of Stanton. He's a guy with good plate discipline and decent power who is almost certainly destined to become a slow, laboring base runner and fielder. He's best for a team with a DH option.

Honestly, there's a pretty good chance Davidson is at least as good as Judge at 23. They're similar in what they potentially offer.

Judge is a decent prospect who is probably never going to be more than a decent regular. Peraza offers great defense and great speed and the potential of a great bat (obviously without much power). No, thanks.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-16-2015), Tapate50 (04-16-2015)