Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Braves‘ offseason quietly criticized throughout the industry

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I don't suspect we'll add an impact bat via FA in 2016, but 2017 is a distinct possibility.

We need for at least one of our young players to exceed expectations offensively (Simmons, Bethancourt, Peterson, Peraza, Kubitza). I think this is a distinct possibility, though I'm not holding out much hope for Bethancourt to be that guy.

We have some trade assets that can be used to either acquire offense directly, or indirectly by acquiring pitching prospects to flip. Gattis and Minor are probably the two best trade chips currently, and we could also flip some relievers for prospects this Summer.
    I think with offense being at a 30 year low you are either going to have to develop your own or pay in free agency. Known offensive quantities that have any kind of contract length will likely be a massive overpay in terms of prospects. With the Braves trying to rebuld their farm depth I don't really see that being the route they take. So they will need some guys to pan out better than expected and hope they don't miss out in the FA market.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    It wouldn't surprise me to see the Braves make a big play for a TOR FA starter during the 2016 offseason and then, in preparation for 2017, perhaps try to acquire a couple of premium bats using some of the talent they have compiled in the minors (provided none of those shining faces have morphed into premium bats themselves). The FA markets in 2016/2017 look pretty weak from an offensive standpoint.

I do have to say, I think this team could potentially contend for a WC spot this upcoming season.
    Last edited by Hawk; 01-07-2015 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Last year is the true measure of our team. Not the previous 4.
    Huh? No. "At best," Simmons, Johnson, and Heyward improve offensively and we get a bit more lucky with RISP. The argument wasn't "most likely" it was "at BEST."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Huh? No. "At best," Simmons, Johnson, and Heyward improve offensively and we get a bit more lucky with RISP. The argument wasn't "most likely" it was "at BEST."
    Oh I agree. I was just being sarcastic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Oh I agree. I was just being sarcastic.
    Ahhh I gotcha.
    I admit I was confused because I felt you were previously on "my" side with all this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me to see the Braves make a big play for a TOR FA starter during the 2016 offseason and then, in preparation for 2017, perhaps try to acquire a couple of premium bats using some of the talent they have compiled in the minors (provided none of those shining faces have morphed into premium bats themselves). The FA markets in 2016/2017 look pretty weak from an offensive standpoint.

I do have to say, I think this team could potentially contend for a WC spot this upcoming season.
    I really don't see us going after an expensive FA SP. I think we acquired all this pitching banking that one of them will turn into a stud at a good price.
    I could be dead wrong, just a hunch.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Rotoworld says Beachy has thrown for seven teams in the last ten days and should be ready to pitch in May. My (hopefully not dumb) question is since the Braves non-tendered him, could they still re-sign him?

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MURF21 View Post
    Rotoworld says Beachy has thrown for seven teams in the last ten days and should be ready to pitch in May. My (hopefully not dumb) question is since the Braves non-tendered him, could they still re-sign him?
    Yes they can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    Yes they can.
    I'd do it. Give him the Medlen treatment.
    Ivermectin Man

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (01-07-2015), JohnAdcox (01-07-2015)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Nice article in Fangraphs (a bit dated but still relevant) that is very encouraging about Jace Peterson. I hope he gets a chance at second to see what's he got. Could make the Upton trade, and untimately this offseason, look a whole lot better.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/ident...e-weird-trick/

His career minor league numbers are very good, especially the on base percentage .287/.381/.411

Last year, mostly in AAA, his slash was even better at .307/.402/.447
    Last edited by skillet; 01-07-2015 at 01:39 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to skillet For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (01-08-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I'd do it. Give him the Medlen treatment.
    I would too because he wouldn't be a free agent after this season. So if he comes back OK he'd have value in a trade down the road if nothing else.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    Nice article in Fangraphs (a bit dated but still relevant) that is very encouraging about Jace Peterson. I hope he gets a chance at second to see what's he got. Could make the Upton trade, and untimately this offseason, look a whole lot better.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/ident...e-weird-trick/

His career minor league numbers are very good, especially the on base percentage .287/.381/.411

Last year, mostly in AAA, his slash was even better at .307/.402/.447
    It will be nice to have Pedroia v2.0 on the roster.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Last year is the true measure of our team. Not the previous 4.
    The previous 4 were vastly different than 2014"s team.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I think with offense being at a 30 year low you are either going to have to develop your own or pay in free agency. Known offensive quantities that have any kind of contract length will likely be a massive overpay in terms of prospects. With the Braves trying to rebuld their farm depth I don't really see that being the route they take. So they will need some guys to pan out better than expected and hope they don't miss out in the FA market.
    It's also a fair point to say that at some point, we could flip some of these prospects we've received for cost controlled major league talent. And considering the state of our farm before, I'd say it would have been unlikely we would have been in the position (prospect-wise) to make such moves in the near future.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    The previous 4 were vastly different than 2014"s team.

2013 was not vastly different from 2014

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    It's also a fair point to say that at some point, we could flip some of these prospects we've received for cost controlled major league talent. And considering the state of our farm before, I'd say it would have been unlikely we would have been in the position (prospect-wise) to make such moves in the near future.
    We could. But I think there is going to be a premium on cost controlled hitting at the major league level. It's going to be the rarest commodity in the league.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    2013 was not vastly different from 2014
    Minus Meds, Huddy, and Mac. That's a pretty substantial loss. That's your best pitcher, your longest tenured vet (who is also a good pitcher), and one of your top hitters.
    Last edited by Carp; 01-08-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I really don't see us going after an expensive FA SP. I think we acquired all this pitching banking that one of them will turn into a stud at a good price.
    I could be dead wrong, just a hunch.
    Exactly. John Hart failed if we have to go acquire a top of the rotation starter. We have two TOR pitchers in Teheran and Wood with Shelby Miller a possibility too. Fried will be getting closer by then with Sims, Jenkins, Banuelos all either making their debut or close to it. We'll be all in for bats at that point not pitchers.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Minus Meds, Huddy, and Mac. That's a pretty substantial loss. That's your best pitcher, your longest tenured vet (who is also a good pitcher), and one of your top hitters.
    The pitching wasn't an issue though. 3.51 starters ERA in 2013 and 3.42 starters ERA in 2014. Yes there were name losses but it had no impact on the actual performance on the field. Gattis hit just as well in 2014 that Mac did in 2013. The only issue here is that we had Gattis on the bench who was a big assest. That said the big issues between 2013 and 2014 wasn't the personel. It was the huge drop (and continued drop for some) in production of BJ, CJ, Simmons, and Uggla.