Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wren inadvertently hinting at payroll increase?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Wren inadvertently hinting at payroll increase?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/95...-pitching-help

About 3/4 of the way down in this article Wren states that adding payroll wouldn't be an issue if we added a pitcher via trade.

Pure speculation and could be way off base here but imagine the possibilities if Wren could get his hand on some extra dough. If Liberty was set in stone on a maximum payroll number I doubt Wren would publicly state this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Wren keeps talking about how money is not an issue this year. Sounds good. Let's see how it looks in the morning.

Still Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Just because payroll goes up doesn't mean we should blow it. If trading for Peavy means no McCann I'm losing it. Call the police.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to parkvadawg For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (07-29-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    McGuirk (Wren's boss) said at the start of the year payroll was 95M. We entered the season at about 89M. Wren has 5-6M to play with. And since we are talking about covering just the last two months of the season, he can on a prorated basis take on contracts whose annual value is 15-18M.

As Wren noted, the issue with getting Peavy is not money but the caliber of prospects the White Sox want. I would imagine if we are paying for all of his contract, we can probably get him without giving up one of our Top 5 guys (for me Sims, Peraza, Cabrera, Bethancourt and Graham). We'd have a good chance of getting Peavy imo if we offered Salcedo plus a good second-tier pitching prospect (Schlosser, Northcraft, Hale).
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-27-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    I thought it was a well known fact that the Braves still had some money left over from the off-season

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Wren keeps talking about how money is not an issue this year. Sounds good. Let's see how it looks in the morning.
    There have been numerous reports over the years that Liberty does not set the payroll. They do limit spending to income. Never been a report that I know of of any money winding its way to Liberty.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Wren has said this exact thing a million times. Even in the off-season, he said stuff like "Why sign a $10 million player now? We could use that $10 million for a $25 million guy at the deadline!!!" and other sophistry.

But in reality, we've been at the same payroll level forever. I'll believe in a payroll increase 3 days after I see it.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

Mrs. Meta (07-30-2013), thethe (07-29-2013), TXBravesFan (07-29-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Reports out today were that the Braves were giving up on Peavy because of money issues. This makes me think Meta is right. I thought they were supposed to be able to afford a guy like Peavy this year.
    thank you weso1!

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Or maybe it was a bluff?
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I'm sure we could afford Peavy this yr. But I'm also quite sure we don't want to pay him 14 millions next season when he'd likely be our 4th best starter at best. And there is also a decent chance his 2015 becomes a player option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I'm sure we could afford Peavy this yr. But I'm also quite sure we don't want to pay him 14 millions next season when he'd likely be our 4th best starter at best. And there is also a decent chance his 2015 becomes a player option.
    Would be the best #4 in baseball by a huge margin. We should be able to afford it next season.
    thank you weso1!

Arizona Fall Leaguer BravesBlock's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    If you could have Peavy or Lincecum which one would you want? And take out the trade requirement portion - just a simple question of who you would want on the mound during a playoff game?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Well considering Peavy has no real playoff experience... probably Lincecum.
    Forever Fredi

Called Up to the Major Leagues AUTiger7222's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Would be the best #4 in baseball by a huge margin. We should be able to afford it next season.
    Sure if you wouldn't want any chance at keeping McCann. Can't have both next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    I've always wondered if payroll increases came with conditions when it comes to Liberty Media. Like, the Braves could have more money, but then they'd have to achieve more, and that's why Wren won't take on more payroll...

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Wren has said this exact thing a million times. Even in the off-season, he said stuff like "Why sign a $10 million player now? We could use that $10 million for a $25 million guy at the deadline!!!" and other sophistry.

But in reality, we've been at the same payroll level forever. I'll believe in a payroll increase 3 days after I see it.
    Much depends on if Liberty allows any payroll savings below $95 M to roll-over to next season. If it's "use it or lose it," I could see a few moves for rentals, but if we can use the money to re-sign McCann, I think it would be wise to be judicious. Outside of perhaps one more reliable bullpen arm and a better back-up IF, I don't know what we need.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (07-30-2013), jpx7 (07-30-2013)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Much depends on if Liberty
    Good points — and almost a William Carlos Williams invocation.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    With the Scott Downs acquisition and payments to players on the DL or their replacements (its getting to be a pretty long list and we've been paying guys like DeWitt and Martinez, EOF, Venters or their replacements all year), the payroll now stands at 92-93M. So we have 2-3M left to play. If you convert this to full season salaries we can effectively take on 6-9M more of contracts.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Yeah, but here's the thing. Frank Wren is a great GM. But every time you give him a pile of money, he wastes it.

Think about it. All the creative stuff where he has to pinch pennies comes up aces, and every eight figure deal blows up.

Maybe we should set the payroll at $50m and let Frank buy us a WS at the Salvation Army.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Yeah, but here's the thing. Frank Wren is a great GM. But every time you give him a pile of money, he wastes it.

Think about it. All the creative stuff where he has to pinch pennies comes up aces, and every eight figure deal blows up.

Maybe we should set the payroll at $50m and let Frank buy us a WS at the Salvation Army.
    I think we have to accept that you are going to overpay on the free agent market or in re-signing a veteran. Most of those contracts lead to regrets. But you do it to fill the gaps where you farm system has not generated the talent you need. When Uggla was acquired we need the "big right-handed bat" and had a hole in left field. Melky Cabrera and Garret Anderson had played left the two years before Uggla arrived. We had to do something. So we traded for and signed Uggla to an extension. There was no one on the farm who we could have slotted into the lineup to give us that kind of power.

Similarly there was no plausible internal solution to play center when we signed BJ. So we overpayed a bit. I think ultimately BJ will rebound to the form he has shown in recent years. But still there always risks with these contracts. If we re-sign McCann, we'll be taking a similar risk. As good as our farm system has been, it hasn't been capable of generating players to cover all positions. So on a selective basis we have to overpay and take some risks on bigger contracts. I don't think it can be avoided. But you hope to do as well as possible with those signings.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

parkvadawg (07-30-2013)