Thread: Interesting Challenge Trade

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Interesting Challenge Trade

Since Houston's still looking to make moves and upgrade their rotation and we're now looking for a LF...

Minor ($5.1 million projected) for Fowler ($9.0 million projected) and Derek Fisher.

Sign Vogelsong/Kyle Kendrick/Kevin Correa/Chad Billingsley to take Minor's spot in the rotation this season to buy the necessary time needed to allow the current #5 candidates to remain the #5 option or pitch on a regular schedule in Gwinnett. Then offer Fowler the same deal Markakis got to extend him.

Would give us cost certainty moving forward (not to mention 4/$44 million should be a bit below market for Fowler), add another Top 15 prospect to the haul we've already gotten, and leave two 2016 rotation spots available for Foltyniewicz, Banuelos, Jenkins, and Hale to compete for. That leaves you $26-ish million per to offer Heyward/Upton/Cespedes next winter (backloaded slightly if necessary until we clear B. J.'s money or find someone desperate enough to take CJ if we'd eat a little money) - Uggla's money ($13 million), Callaspo's money ($3 million), the #4 SP money ($3 million), Russell's money ($2.425 million), and Jim Johnson's money ($1.6 million).
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-15-2015 at 09:32 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Minor needs to rebuild his value, and will be traded near the deadline to a contender in dire need of a quality 2-3 starter, and the value we get from him should be exponentially higher than what it is today.

I fully expect Fowler to be a Brave going into 2016, though. Just a hunch, I think there will be mutual interest when he hits free agency and a deal will get done, seems like a perfect fit.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    No use to trading Minor now.

Needs to rebuild his value a little bit.

I can see Fowler a Brave next winter though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    No use to trading Minor now.

Needs to rebuild his value a little bit.

I can see Fowler a Brave next winter though.
    I really like Fowlers game. Always have. He would be a good target. Is he one that would be offered arby?
    Ivermectin Man

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Probably a target. Not a big fan. Terrible defender. Has played in offensive parks, numbers probably take a hit in Atlanta.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Probably a target. Not a big fan. Terrible defender. Has played in offensive parks, numbers probably take a hit in Atlanta.
    One thing I'll say in his defense. the 2 parks he's played at in CF are arguably the 2 toughest parks to play CF at. Coors cause of the milehigh effect, and Houston cause of that cut out and massive CF. Can't be easy on the mind.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-16-2015), Heyward (01-16-2015), Tapate50 (01-16-2015), weso1 (01-16-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    There are really only 3 reasons I think it makes sense now (and therefore brought it up)...

1.) He appears to be the piece they'd prefer to move, and if someone else is going to give up something of significant value for him (Baltimore or the Cubs perhaps), they'd likely try to extend him if he's willing to talk during the season. If he were here talking about an extension, he and his agent don't get the opportunity to find out just how much below market what we're offering is. While I do think he's an (if not THE) obvious fit for us (and vice-versa) next winter, not allowing other teams to get involved in the bidding could save us $10 million over the life of his contract.

2.) Bringing the hometown boy home at least gives fans a little something to get more excited about than signing an Aoki or Rasmus as a stopgap for a year. All three players will likely get roughly the same type of money this season. Rasmus is looking for a raise over his $7 million from last year and supposedly doesn't get along with Seitzer, so even though he has the most power potential I'd just as soon pass on him. Aoki and Fowler certainly fit our patient, put the ball in play approach much better - no reason to add another "swing from your heels" guy for B. J. and Andrelton to see every day if you don't have to.

3.) The extra year of control Houston would get with Minor (not to mention his upside) should justify the argument that we have to get Fisher or Brett Phillips back to "even things out". Either of those guys instantly becomes our best OF prospect.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    The one number that wouldn't take a hit though is his OBP, which is consistently 100 points higher than his batting average. Just what we need.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    I was high on Fowler a couple years ago and I think he'd fit in incredibly well with us, especially next year!
    Peraza 2B
    Fowler LF
    Freeman 1B
    Markakis RF
    CJoh 3B
    BJ CF
    C-Beth C

Not great, but no as awful. If you can get Fowler and make another move for a big bat, it's solid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I think Minor is definitely the next big piece to go, but he needs at least the first half to build his value. If things go well for him, he'll get himself a new uniform around the deadline.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

weso1 (01-16-2015)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    It wasn't interesting. Waste of time and bandwidth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    It wasn't interesting. Waste of time and bandwidth.
    A self describing post?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TURBO For This Useful Post:

weso1 (01-16-2015)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBO View Post
    A self describing post?
    Since you've gotten on my dick a few times without provocation, why don't you enlighten the forum?