Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hector Olivera signs with the Dodgers

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    All that's correct. He's also the next hot Cuban in the pipeline. Good news is that birthdays don't seem to matter much in Latin America.
    Perhaps you are referring to Jose Fernandez who is a 2B? He's very (very) toolsy and has incredible bat to ball skills (only struck out something like 10 times one year) but his power is questionable. Still would be considered a top prospect in our system (probably in the top 3 in most systems if he were signed) since he's not entirely raw at 26. He also would not be subject to international spending limits given his age and length of service in Cuba’s Serie Nacional.

However there were reports late last year that he defected but apparently he was caught and is now being detained (and monitored 24/7 with Cuban police).

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I think that Fernandez is the next shiny bauble, if he is able to leave the island. Olivera's age and injury status (missed a whole year with what was thought to be thrombosis in his bicep) make him a little more risky/less desirable . . . which may mean we have more of a shot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    We are at such a disadvantage as we continue to ignore this market. It is like another whole draft that we are still looking for that 5th year senior from college that will sign for well below slot.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    We are at such a disadvantage as we continue to ignore this market. It is like another whole draft that we are still looking for that 5th year senior from college that will sign for well below slot.
    In a lot of ways it's better than the draft. And yeah, we can't tap it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    In a lot of ways it's better than the draft. And yeah, we can't tap it.
    We can, its just that Liberty doesn't care about the Braves at all. They are happy with the return on the investment and see no reason to change the status quo.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    We can, its just that Liberty doesn't care about the Braves at all. They are happy with the return on the investment and see no reason to change the status quo.
    Right.
    It's like in school when you ask "can I use the bathroom." and the teacher says "IDK CAN YOU?? LOL"
    Can we do it? Yeah. May we do it? Nope, says Ms. Liberty.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    That's crap, imo. They could make it fit the payroll if they really wanted too, imo. Braves obviously just don't feel like investing that much into what is essentially a prospect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    That's crap, imo. They could make it fit the payroll if they really wanted too, imo. Braves obviously just don't feel like investing that much into what is essentially a prospect.
    How much control does McGuirk/JS actually have on payroll though. They say they do but they are company men. Liberty doesn't want the fanbase to feel that they are being frugal. Again, they are getting a great return on this investment. No need for them to rock the boat when they have predictable cash flows.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    I don't think he was referring to Olivera... he will sign this year with someone and is more seasoned... the original poster said next year's Moncada (a young phenom profile). Which, IMO would be Andy Ibanez... but I haven't heard any chatter about the Braves being interested yet.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    How much control does McGuirk/JS actually have on payroll though. They say they do but they are company men. Liberty doesn't want the fanbase to feel that they are being frugal. Again, they are getting a great return on this investment. No need for them to rock the boat when they have predictable cash flows.

I'm just saying that if our payroll was reportedly going to be close to 110 and rising over the next few years, then we could get creative enough to make Moncada work with that payroll if we really wanted him.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    In a lot of ways it's better than the draft. And yeah, we haven't tapped it.
    Fixed it for ya.

They're getting there - it isn't done overnight. This was a major part of the restructuring of the front office and scouting departments. Many of the new guys that have brought in are more familiar with some of these players and people involved with them. I also get the feeling that the foreign operations are a big part of Coppy's expanded role - I'd be interested to hear from ramadon's contact if that assumption has legs.

While I'm still unwilling to count us out on Moncada, I could also see the organization spreading that kind of money out amongst several players to continue to expand our organizational depth as well as help increase our standing as a "player" for future targets - Fernandez is still around somewhere, Guillermo Heredia has been suspended but possesses significant upside, Yuliesky Gourriel profiles as a 3B, Lourdes Gourriel is younger (like Moncada) and could stay in the middle infield (he's a SS now), and Alfredo Despaigne reminds me of a young Kevin Mitchell.

The Gourriels and Despaigne have been added to the Cuban roster for the Caribbean Series next week.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I agree that that we're aiming to be more competitive on international FAs, and seem to be devoting more resources towards international scouting. I assume that the experience and relationships—combined with some looser purse-strings—that we'll build in that pursuit will make it more likely for us to be able to be in on the big international guys. That said, since Moncada has done private workouts for 5 teams, none of them located in Atlanta, I suspect we need to turn the page on him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I agree that that we're aiming to be more competitive on international FAs, and seem to be devoting more resources towards international scouting. I assume that the experience and relationships—combined with some looser purse-strings—that we'll build in that pursuit will make it more likely for us to be able to be in on the big international guys. That said, since Moncada has done private workouts for 5 teams, none of them located in Atlanta, I suspect we need to turn the page on him.
    We (chop country contributors?) or We (Atlanta Braves Johnnys?)

I suspect you mean both!
    Ivermectin Man

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Considering the presence we've had at his showcases and the number of times some of the new guys have seen him before they came on board, I'm not entirely sure a private workout is necessary. IF (and it's obviously a big IF) we're waiting in the weeds to make an offer, there's certainly no need to announce we're doing so to the big-market teams - doing so simply allows them to tack an extra $5 million or so onto their offer and makes it that much tougher. One advantage Arizona had was that those clubs didn't take their interest seriously until it was too late - the same thing happened when the White Sox landed Jose Abreu.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (01-27-2015), thethe (01-27-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    We (chop country contributors?) or We (Atlanta Braves Johnnys?)

I suspect you mean both!
    We the Braves' FO and any Chop Country denizen named John.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Considering the presence we've had at his showcases and the number of times some of the new guys have seen him before they came on board, I'm not entirely sure a private workout is necessary. IF (and it's obviously a big IF) we're waiting in the weeds to make an offer, there's certainly no need to announce we're doing so to the big-market teams - doing so simply allows them to tack an extra $5 million or so onto their offer and makes it that much tougher. One advantage Arizona had was that those clubs didn't take their interest seriously until it was too late - the same thing happened when the White Sox landed Jose Abreu.
    That is actually a very good point.

No reason to give the big guns any notice what so ever...

It would be the right move at the right move for this franchise, but I highly doubt that happens.

I felt the same about signing Matt Holliday way back when. Long shot, but its what we needed.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    It makes sense on so many levels except when you consider that the Braves are just another level of diversification in Liberty's investment portfolio.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    How about this as a wild card factor? How big a presence does Liberty Media wish to have in Cuba as it rejoins the world community? If the Braves are just an asset then use them as a crowbar to pry open an untapped media source. Of course, the Marlins would be more like a "home" team, hate runs deep in a large part of the expatrieate community. And Moancade is the first Cuban star to come over here essentially with his country's blessing.

Again, just some more out of the box thinking.
    Last edited by rico43; 01-27-2015 at 06:57 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    The problem with signing Moncada isn't necessarily the $40M bonus and the subsequent $40M penalty that will be tacked on. The main problem for a team like the Braves is when the money is due.

While the bonus can be paid out over a number of years, the entire $40M penalty is due in full sometime around 1 month after the signing period ends (I can't remember the exact date I read). It then becomes a simple cash flow problem...a mid-market team like the Braves might not even have an extra $40M in cash sitting somewhere so they can write a check that large.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    How about this as a wild card factor? How big a presence does Liberty Media wish to have in Cuba as it rejoins the world community? If the Braves are just an asset then use them as a crowbar to pry open an untapped media source. Of course, the Marlins would be more like a "home" team, hate runs deep in a large part of the expatrieate community. And Moancade is the first Cuban star to come over here essentially with his country's blessing.

Again, just some more out of them box thinking.
    This has been one of the underlying factors all along IMO. Have always wondered how many potential DirecTV subscribers there are in international markets that would buy MLB.TV packages - not just in Cuba, but in the Dominican as well.