Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Game Thread: Atari vs. Commodore Debate...

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts

One more week and a day. So ****ing close.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    A little discussion in this thread

Is the ultimate failure of the Wii U Nintendo? They made a console that would be entirely dependent on themselves and other developers embracing the console not just getting 3rd party ports and their own first party stuff. But overall their first party stuff has been pretty meh.

When I look at games Nintendo has published you see some quality games.

Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Smash, Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros U New Super Luigi U, Splatoon, Mario maker, and soon to be released Mario Tennis, Animal Crossing, and Star Fox.

Notice something missing? No new Legend of Zelda, no Metroid, and most of the best games only came out very recently. Smash, Mario Maker, and Splatoon are all under a year old. Star Fox and Animal Crossing are close to the end cycle of a console.

Nintendo has to fix 2 things IMO in their next gen console. First thing, make it a beast. Stop going for the casual gamers on the console, that market sailed they've all gone mobile. Stick to the 3DS being the casual gamer console. Come out with Tablet games and so on so forth. Make the next gen console for the hard core gamer. Fight Microsoft and Sony on their court. Last cutting edge Nintendo console was the N64. The N64 is revered by pretty much anyone my age. Even the gamecube wasn't reviled because while the console ****ed over 3rd party titles and hurt them, the console did bring an awesome controller.

Nintendo needs to focus on what works. If I'm Nintendo I come out with a that blends a traditional console with the Wii U. Come out with a beast, that can play Bluray and puts out at 4K and 3D and all that jazz. But also come out with the ability to cast certain games to a tablet to play like you do on the Wii U. It opens up opportunities for developers without handcuffing them. ANd you have to have the first party support. Cannot wait 2+ years to start having A+ titles. Need them out at launch and soon after. To me that's what's killed the XBox ONe. Microsoft took way too long to get a true premium title out of for it, Halo just came out. They banked on one EA game forget what it's called but it sucked, it sucked really hard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Nintendo Direct was today. DOn't know how I missedit, but the seeming highlights

Cloud to be a Smash Bros character

3DS has some huge news for me. Megaman Legacy which is a collection of 1-6 which are the peak of Megaman for me. ANd ofr Handheld should be great, Fire Emblem has all 3 games coming out, and the OG Pokemon games are coming out to digital download.

Star Fox has a launch date of 4/22/16

And the biggest news. Zelda isn't cancelled. Coming out some point next year (my guess is holiday) Yay Zelda!!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (11-12-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Also apparently there's gonna be a Smash dedicated Direct in December.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Mario Party and Splatoon will be $25 at Wal Mart on Black Friday... welp my wallet!
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    Mario Party and Splatoon will be $25 at Wal Mart on Black Friday... welp my wallet!
    Yay someone will have Splatoon. I may have to dust off my wii u (right now it's all about Fallout)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    A little discussion in this thread

Is the ultimate failure of the Wii U Nintendo? They made a console that would be entirely dependent on themselves and other developers embracing the console not just getting 3rd party ports and their own first party stuff. But overall their first party stuff has been pretty meh.

When I look at games Nintendo has published you see some quality games.

Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Smash, Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros U New Super Luigi U, Splatoon, Mario maker, and soon to be released Mario Tennis, Animal Crossing, and Star Fox.

Notice something missing? No new Legend of Zelda, no Metroid, and most of the best games only came out very recently. Smash, Mario Maker, and Splatoon are all under a year old. Star Fox and Animal Crossing are close to the end cycle of a console.

Nintendo has to fix 2 things IMO in their next gen console. First thing, make it a beast. Stop going for the casual gamers on the console, that market sailed they've all gone mobile. Stick to the 3DS being the casual gamer console. Come out with Tablet games and so on so forth. Make the next gen console for the hard core gamer. Fight Microsoft and Sony on their court. Last cutting edge Nintendo console was the N64. The N64 is revered by pretty much anyone my age. Even the gamecube wasn't reviled because while the console ****ed over 3rd party titles and hurt them, the console did bring an awesome controller.

Nintendo needs to focus on what works. If I'm Nintendo I come out with a that blends a traditional console with the Wii U. Come out with a beast, that can play Bluray and puts out at 4K and 3D and all that jazz. But also come out with the ability to cast certain games to a tablet to play like you do on the Wii U. It opens up opportunities for developers without handcuffing them. ANd you have to have the first party support. Cannot wait 2+ years to start having A+ titles. Need them out at launch and soon after. To me that's what's killed the XBox ONe. Microsoft took way too long to get a true premium title out of for it, Halo just came out. They banked on one EA game forget what it's called but it sucked, it sucked really hard.
    Nintendo put too many of their eggs in the casual gamer basket after the huge success early on of the Wii. They just didn't do enough for the core console gamer who plays games like Skyrim or Call of Duty. I think online gaming and the lack of an HD WII was the downfall of Nintendo from a console stand point. Most of the more serious console gamers had moved on to HD titles with online access. So unfortunately for Nintendo that only left the casual gamers. Well, they all went mobile. So they got stuck in a very niche market of either huge Nintendo fans or families that want to play games together. Most folks just could justify paying 300 bucks for a new console when they could spend nothing playing mobile games.

I also thought Nintendo land was a stupid pack in game. They also didn't release enough HD remakes. Where are the galaxy and metroid prime HD remakes?
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Let me just drop this here and walk away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    So I preordered the 3DS pokemon console. And bought the megaman legacy collection. So I am buying a brand new system to play 20+ year old games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    So with the NX launch announced later this year (probably at E3 or a Nintendo presser around that time) I want to ask mah nerds, what do you want from the NX?

For me it's a few things that will make this a buy at launch console, not a wait until it's cheap like I did with the Wii U.

1. Be the hardware leader. PS4 and XB1 have been out for over 2 years. They cannot match their specs, they have to beat them. What I mean by this is aside from having a much better GPU and CPU and more internal storage (I tihnk replicating the hybrid drive of the XB1 Elite would be ideal) than the predecessor is a must, they need to beat those consoles so they can have a bit more time on the market. Where will they do that? First off VR connectivity. Not that everyone would use it, but have the option for it. Second is 4K support. Go beyond 1080P.

2. Strong launch lineup. cannot stress this enough to be honest. Wii U's launch lineup sucked. Mario Bros U or whatver was their launch title and they didn't have much behind it. When I think of a successful NX launch I want to see a few things. First not just the upcoming Zelda game in an NX port. I'm fine with that but it needs to be worth it more content, etc. Second Metroid.It's been almost 6 years since the last Samus Title. In the era of the FPS that's unacceptable Third is a new IP. And I'd make it an adult based IP. Imagine NIntendo's take on C.O.D or Gears. Or their take on a massive world game like Fallout or Elder Scrolls. There's lots of genre's to try to bite off of and bring in new content.

3. Optional "fun" hardware - Wii came with the must use motion controller, Wii U kept that and added the tablet controller. Both are fun at times and for certain games. But for the hardcore gamer they lack a ton of long term play. What I mean by that is keep the Wii controllers as optional accessories for the NX. Have a tablet/phone app that lets you play second screen. Or a 3DS app that lets you play second screen. Keep the Amiibo support.

4. Better shop. The eshop sucks. It's slow (probably console speed issues there too) and finding things isn't super easy. Kind of simple one here. Make the shop better.

5. Stronger 3rd party support. This goes in with the first game. 3rd party IPs need to come to the NX and need to come at th esame time as PS4 and XB1. No more later ports that are inferior but use the console quirks.

I love the Wii U for what it is. I love some of the features about it. But it falls behind massively in my usage compared to my XB1 for a number of reasons. I want those reasons to be gone. I want the NX to be my main console. I want to buy games like FIFA, ES6, etc. for the NX and not even consider getting them for the XBox. That's what I want from the NX. I want an N64 not a Gamecube.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    I haven't owned a Nintendo system since the N64 because that was the last time they had the best (hardware wise) system on the market. I'm not gonna buy a whole extra console just to play Mario and Zelda. I want a console that will be THE console in my house. Otherwise, I am very unlikely to touch the NX.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    That's kind of what my concern is. I got the Wii U to do some stuff but I wish it was my main console. I don't really have any XB1 exclusives. If I could play Fallout, Fifa, etc. on NX and have a killer game to replace some missed games like Gears of War?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Gamespot did an interview with Ronda Rousey where she said she wants to play Samus Aran.

Got me thinking. Will Nintendo ever make another live action film? They've made films, Pokemon being animated. But all they had for live action was Super Mario Bros. A horrible film. But that was made over 20 years ago (almost 25 at this poitn) and we've moved so much further in terms of CGI and practical effects. I mean look no further than the work done by Andy Serkis.

Nintendo holds several IPs that could potentially be entertaining films if done right, Mario Bros, but much better IMO being Legend of Zelda and Metroid. And Star Fox would be an amazing Animated Film (live action would be wasted on a film about humanoid space animals)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Nintendo doesn't own Pokémon. Pokémon is not a Nintendo IP. Game freak just has a really good relationship with them that they haven't released Pokémon on any other consoles.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    There's also talk of a Zelda Netflix live action series.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Nintendo doesn't own Pokémon. Pokémon is not a Nintendo IP. Game freak just has a really good relationship with them that they haven't released Pokémon on any other consoles.
    Pokemon is owned by Nintendo. It's not wholly owned by Nintendo as it's made by the Pokemon Company which is a combined effort of Nintendo, Gamefreak, and Creatures. All 3 companies own the copyright. It may not be an IP in the same way as the other, but they could squash or push their weight into new ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    There's also talk of a Zelda Netflix live action series.
    Could be interesting, would I assume move Dungeon to Dungeon instead of a going after the big baddie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Could be interesting, would I assume move Dungeon to Dungeon instead of a going after the big baddie.
    It would basically be Indiana Jones meets LOTR.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    I got my 3DS today. It's awesome. Sadly I misread the compatible charger and didn't also order a charger as I thought it said DS, not DSi