Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Game Thread: Atari vs. Commodore Debate...

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    441 Posts
    Bill Gates says that 'he wouldn't stop Microsoft from selling off the Xbox' That's not a good sign.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,765 Posts
    Not necessarily.

I mean video games as a whole are become stagnant.

Call of Duty is dominating the shooter genre when it's not really that fun...

Sports games are always going to sell. There's a video game I read that has a budget of about 500 million!?! WHAT THE HELL.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    I would say that AAA video games have become stagnant. I mean it's all about sequels these days. And these new consoles are impressive in regards to power, but there's nothing really new about them. What you get in a PS4 you could already get with a decent gaming system. AAA gaming is very safe right now.

I think the next huge step in AAA gaming will come when they are able to use cloud storage to make games look incredibly nice. The first game company to successfully implement this in a cost effective way will have unbelievable success.

But there really is some good innovation in smaller independent games. We've seen a rebirth of the point and click games, which I personally love and lots of creative 2D games out there.
    thank you weso1!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (05-07-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,306 Posts
    Finshed up Child of Light. Really good game. A turn based RPG. Loved the art and music in the game. The rhyming can be a bit annoying, but overall really enjoyed it for only $15.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Bill Gates says that 'he wouldn't stop Microsoft from selling off the Xbox' That's not a good sign.
    Hardly shocking, Microsoft is in a situation where they have many pots on the stove. Windows, MS Office, Windows Mobile, Windows RT, Internet Explorer, MSN, Skype, Bing, the Surface, Servers, Cloud storage, and then the XBox to boot. Them selling off XBox gives them a potential profitability which would lead to a stock boost and be a big short term gain. The talks about this have been going on for years. Balmer was apparently a key member of keeping XBox IIRC. XBox has made money for microsoft for a long time.

If Microsoft should kill anything it's the surface and Windows RT. Let manufacturers make Win 8 tablets that are Win 8 or Win 8 based. People have not been jumping on Windows RT. With 2% of that market they're losing a miserable battle. Bing is not profitable, Surfaces are not profitable. Skype I'm 99% sure isn't profitable (though who knows) Microsoft selling off one of it's few profitable divisions would be dumb. But it would probably be better for the consumer. Imagine no more stupid live tiles, no more Bing, etc. Would be great if someone with a solid vision bought it and brought it back to the 360 glory days.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I'm on my third play though of Stick of Truth (trying to get all the friends and chinpokumon missed some of the friends last play through. and I'm still loving this game. Will probably sell it soon enough but love it for a great fun RPG. Fun being the operative word. Next up I want to do is sell my skyrim and buy the Skyrim Legendary Edition or whatever so I can unlock way more stuff

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts

Video Games

Didn't see a thread about current video games. Something about Atari and another console.

I don't play a lot. I own a PS3 that is on it's last legs. Battlefield 4 and The Show are the games I have played recently. My first year Braves franchise is nearing the trade deadline. I've had a lot of injuries so far, but am right behind the Nationals for first place. I have something like a 63-45 record right now. My lineup reflects a couple trades I made. The salaries for BJ and Uggla aren't right either. They are way under their actual deals.

Lorenzo Cain (CF)
    Jason (RF)
    Freddie (1B)
    Gattis (C)
    CJ (3B)
    Chris Heisey (LF)
    Simmons (SS)
    Uggla/Nick Franklin (2B)

Schafer, Pastor, Doumit, and someone else I am forgetting is my bench.

Traded BJ Upton and acquired Cain and Jarrod Dyson from the Royals. Added Franklin because CJ was out for two months and Pena was stinking it up. Uggla has no trade value at all and I am going to ride his deal out at least this season. Justin was dominating until he went down for the season. So I added Heisey and got rid of Laird too.

Julio is also done for the season and Harang was released. Gus Schlosser is a dominant long relief guy and has an 8-1 record with a sub 3 ERA. My bullpen hasn't changed except Venters is in it now. All current or AAA Braves in the bullpen.

Ervin, Minor, Floyd, Wood, and Erasmo Ramirez rounds out my rotation. Ramirez was in the Franklin deal with the Mariners and I don't remember who I traded away in that deal though. Medlen and Beachy are at AAA/DL for pretty much all season. They wont pitch this season and I want to try and keep it realistic too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,306 Posts
    I streamed a bit the other night MLB the Show 14 on the PS4. Loving the game. The pulse pitching has made it more fun. Makes it more of a challange having less control where the pitch goes. Still use pure analog for hitting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,306 Posts
    Microsoft has announced they are releasing a Kinectless Xbox One for $399

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBO View Post
    Microsoft has announced they are releasing a Kinectless Xbox One for $399
    Saw that, I'd consider the Kinect worth 100 bucks. I think the bigger news is no longer requiring gold for Hulu, Netflix and a few other apps. I'll probably start using it over my Roku.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Lost in the play in game in Los Angeles to the Dodgers. Kershaw was one hitting me through 5 and they were up 2-0. Then my table setters did their job. Dee Gordon hit a 2 out double and Lorenzo Cain drove him in. Freddie tied it with a double. CJ added another run scoring base hit and we are up 3-2. Brought Wood in and let him face Matt Kemp. He hit his second homer of the game. They added another run in the 8th and that was all she wrote.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,552 Posts
    Mario Kart 8, bitches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Mario Kart 8, bitches.
    I'm gonna probably get a Wii u to just play that and smash bros

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,765 Posts
    Yeah Wii U numbers are down but I imagine millions will buy it just for Smash Bros U. I'm one of them.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Yeah Wii U numbers are down but I imagine millions will buy it just for Smash Bros U. I'm one of them.
    They haven't had anything of any significance. Mario, Pikmin, remake of Wind Waker, and that's about it. No Kart, no Metroid, no new Zelda, no Smash Bros. When those come out the Wii U will move like hot cakes. Heck,on Gamestop right now the WiiU with mario kart is a top seller on Gamestop.

I'm probably over the summer gonna make up my mind on PS3 vs 360. Will give the 2 some time to see if any exclusives make up my mind. Probably will play the 2 a bit to see if I can get used to the PS4 controller, Hard to argue with the better graphics of the PS4 at a lower price, but if I can't play it what good do the graphics do me?

I'm gonna get a Wii U mainly for the nintendo exclusive games and with the hope someone will utilize the Wii U game pad to it's max. I feel like the Wiimote though it will miss the mark consistently.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,765 Posts
    PS3 vs. 360? lulz

Wii did big money because of the family fun aspect (I spent many nights playing bowling with my technologically inept parents). Wii U doesn't really have that aspect or feel to it like that, and is relying selling solely on their trademark characters.

I think they'll move a lot of units with Smash Bros, maybe not enough to overcome the huge deficit they're in right now though. Not a good time in the video game industry when Nintendo openly admits they're severely struggling, Gates open to the idea of MS selling the XB1...
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,306 Posts
    PS4 is the more powerful machine no doubt. But I still play Xbone much more. Better games, better controller, and I like the Interface better. PSN plus is nice, with the free games each month, but Xbox is finally getting free games with Gold next month. In the end, just get the console that suits you more. Get a bone and come play games with me Zeets

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,765 Posts
    Haven't had a MS console since X-Box. Didn't get 360, likely won't get 1.

PS1-PS2-PS3 no PS4 yet.

NES-SNES-N64-GC-WII-WII U when Smash U comes out.

GB-GBC-GBA-GBASP-3DS

SEGA GEN-DREAMCAST- :(

I still love my dreamcast... and world series baseball... and sonic adventure 1 and 2.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    For me I've had in order with some overlap

NES-SNES-N64-GCN-Wii for nintendo

GB-GBC-GBA-DS (never got the 3DS, want it though)

XBox and XBox 360

I'm gonna get a WIi U maybe at the end of this month too.

I'm just no sure wether to go XB1 or PS4 won't be able to afford both most likely. PS4 has the power, but I hate the playstation controller. I'm probably going XB1, but I'm wating off as long as possible. I'm hoping Microsoft announces backwards compatibility. Will make it a gimme

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I came into an amazon giftcard I'm debating how to use it. Leaning towards a videogame. I may use it towards books.

For games I'm a little uncertain. I'm thinking maybe GTA5, Fifa 14, as the 2 most likely. Any other 360 suggestions? To shoot down a few, no to Madden no to Arkham Origins (waiting til that's nearly free to get it)