Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

D-backs latest to land mega-TV dea;

(FROM MLBTR:)

D-Backs Agree To New Television Contract
    By Steve Adams [February 18, 2015 at 9:32pm CST]

The Diamondbacks and FOX Sports Arizona have agreed to a new television contract that is believed to be worth more than one billion dollars in total, reports Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic.

Arizona’s current television contract, which expires at season’s end, has an average annual vaue of about $31MM per year, Piecoro notes. He adds that the new contract is believed to at least triple that amount. It’s unclear how much the total value of the contract is, because the length of the deal isn’t currently known, but club officials have recently said they were discussing lengths in the 15- to 20-year range. Piecoro reports that there are indications that the new deal is indeed in line with those previously discussed parameters, which would suggest the total value is at least $1.4 billion.

Piecoro writes that the impact on the team’s payroll isn’t immediately known, though as he points out, the increased revenue won’t vault the D-Backs into the division-rival Dodgers’ financial stratosphere. The Dodgers’ TV deal averages out to roughly $334MM annually, according to a Forbes report from March 2014, trailing only the Yankees, whose annual revenue from the YES Network averages out to about $385MM.

Recent examples of this type of mega-contract include the Rangers, Mariners and Phillies, each of whom have AAVs in excess of $140MM, per Forbes. Piecoro notes that since the Rangers signed their 20-year, $1.7 billion deal in 2010, nearly a third of the teams in the league have inked similar contracts. Per Forbes, the previous top 10 television revenues belonged to the Yankees, Dodgers, Phillies, Rangers, Angels, Mariners, Mets, Red Sox, Giants and Padres.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Remember thattime that Time Warner just gave away our media rights? Yeah that was nice.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-19-2015), Braves1976 (02-19-2015), cajunrevenge (02-19-2015), goldfly (02-19-2015), Julio3000 (02-19-2015), Prikichi (02-19-2015), thethe (02-19-2015), UNCBlue012 (02-19-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    We have 12 years left on the deal. Sounds like the D-backs deal may have an AAV that's 5 to 10 times our current deal. Oy.

"The Braves deal, negotiated as the team was being sold by Time Warner to Liberty Media in 2007, is believed to be worth less than $20 million annually to the team. Some have said that figure is closer to $10 million annually, which would place it at the bottom of the major league scale."

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseb...ippling/nTyd4/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    We have 12 years left on the deal. Sounds like the D-backs deal may have an AAV that's 5 to 10 times our current deal. Oy.

"The Braves deal, negotiated as the team was being sold by Time Warner to Liberty Media in 2007, is believed to be worth less than $20 million annually to the team. Some have said that figure is closer to $10 million annually, which would place it at the bottom of the major league scale."

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseb...ippling/nTyd4/
    I think the good news is that this story came out before the tv deal was adjusted upward to not give the Braves such a disadvantage. Not sure what it is worth now though.
    thank you weso1!

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Are we in the worst financial position in our division? Washington obviously has more. Philadelphia has a mega-deal and will be out from under some of its more odious contracts in a few years (I also assume they're going to fire Amaro at some point). New York seems to be out from under the worst of the Madoff stuff. Even the freaking Marlins are capable of actually re-signing their star right fielder.

So...we're pretty well ****ed unless just about everything goes right and Roy Clark really is Jesus, huh?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Are we in the worst financial position in our division? Washington obviously has more. Philadelphia has a mega-deal and will be out from under some of its more odious contracts in a few years (I also assume they're going to fire Amaro at some point). New York seems to be out from under the worst of the Madoff stuff. Even the freaking Marlins are capable of actually re-signing their star right fielder.

So...we're pretty well ****ed unless just about everything goes right and Roy Clark really is Jesus, huh?

The Nats are currently in a battle with the Oreos over tv rights as well.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12...als-tv-dispute
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

Or Moses.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

thethe (02-19-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Bottom line is we cannot afford missteps along the way. Missteps just like BJ Upton.
    Ivermectin Man

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

thethe (02-19-2015)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    and Nick Markakis.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I think the good news is that this story came out before the tv deal was adjusted upward to not give the Braves such a disadvantage. Not sure what it is worth now though.
    The deal still sucks. When Warner sold the remaining 45 games from Peachtree TV to Fox the money went up just for those 45 games but the other 115we're screwed.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    and Nick Markakis.
    Premature IMO
    Ivermectin Man

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
    The deal still sucks. When Warner sold the remaining 45 games from Peachtree TV to Fox the money went up just for those 45 games but the other 115we're screwed.
    I want to know who negotiated this deal and whether or not they are still employed by the organization. Was it McGuirk?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I want to know who negotiated this deal and whether or not they are still employed by the organization. Was it McGuirk?
    Either McGuirk or JS. And the deal was way before the boom of tv deals started by the Dodgers I think it was?
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Good point. The Braves entered a new deal for 45 games w/ Fox a couple years ago. Can't find any $ details, but the terms were surely better than the previous deal for that section of games. If the Braves can increase revenues in the medium-term with the new stadium, they may be able to steadily increase the MLB payroll budget w/o impacting Liberty's profit margin.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseb...tree-tv/nWcNF/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Don't worry. Braves know exactly what happened:

“I’m not exactly sure whose final hands were on [the deal], but I’m pretty sure,” said McGuirk, who worked 35 years at TBS, rising to the rank of CEO from 1996-2001. “I think the guy is no longer with the company.... And I don’t know that it serves any purpose to put a bull’s eye on somebody.

link
    thank you weso1!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (02-19-2015), Knucksie (02-19-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

“I’m not exactly sure whose final hands were on [the deal], but I’m pretty sure,” said McGuirk, who worked 35 years at TBS, rising to the rank of CEO from 1996-2001. “I think the guy is no longer with the company.... And I don’t know that it serves any purpose to put a bull’s eye on somebody.

link
    You do know why he isn't 100% positive, right? Because it wasn't him who made the deal? Owners don't have to explain their decisions to those under them. This was a deal made by Time Warner; it didn't have any input from anybody employed by the Braves.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    This was a deal made by Time Warner; it didn't have any input from anybody employed by the Braves.
    I highly doubt that -- the commissioner's office was likely involved as well.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts

link
    Ex Braveitis is real, dog.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    It was probably Wren who negotiated the deal!
    Natural Immunity Croc

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    "And I don’t know that it serves any purpose to put a bull’s eye on somebody."

Schuerhart didn't get that memo, apparently.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (02-19-2015)