Page 30 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Training 2015

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Sure, there's the potential trade return to consider. But I'd argue that these sorts of "sign a guy for the sole purpose of dealing him to a contender at the deadline" signings fail far, far more often than they succeed. It's a low-risk move, so it's nothing to stress over, but it's rare for these sorts of guys to really play well enough to merit any sort of meaningful return.

It's conceivable that Gomes might smack around lefties for a few months and garner interest at the deadline. It's happened before. Realistically, however, it's exceptionally unlikely for a contending team to give up much of value for the short half of a corner outfield platoon, especially when the guy doesn't offer much defensively or on the bases. In the very, very best case scenario you probably get a guy who wasn't as good a prospect as Perez or Terdoslavich were in their minor league days.

Young...honestly, I don't think there's any realistic shot of converting him into something valuable. I agree he has his uses as the 24th or 25th guy on a playoff team, but those sorts are freely available talents, and most organizations have a player or two in the upper minors who can play multiple positions and run the bases. The best you can hope for in an EY trade is a PTBNL or cash considerations.
    I think that's the heart of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    563 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    MASN has done a horrible job telling us who's playing for the Braves the last couple innings.
    What do you expect? They blew the Nats the entire time. They must have shown 30 clips of them clinching the East in ATL and celebrating. One of them said Harper was primed for an MVP run. I dunno whos worse, then or FP Santangiblow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    What do you expect? They blew the Nats the entire time. They must have shown 30 clips of them clinching the East in ATL and celebrating. One of them said Harper was primed for an MVP run. I dunno whos worse, then or FP Santangiblow
    I'm just gonna go ahead and say FP, since it's hard to imagine being worse than him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    563 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I'm just gonna go ahead and say FP, since it's hard to imagine being worse than him.
    Lol he is pretty bad!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    Probably Ray Knight
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Probably Ray Knight
    Good call. He and FP are the Ruth and Gehrig of Horrible.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    they are so d--n arrogant. wish mlb didn't force me to listen to them when we match up.

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    453 Posts
    Who's worse? The Nats announcers, or the White Sox announcers?

The Nats announcers have major chips on their shoulders. Whoever their main guy is sucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    Who's worse? The Nats announcers, or the White Sox announcers?

The Nats announcers have major chips on their shoulders. Whoever their main guy is sucks.
    Nats announcers are by far, IMO.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Sure, there's the potential trade return to consider. But I'd argue that these sorts of "sign a guy for the sole purpose of dealing him to a contender at the deadline" signings fail far, far more often than they succeed. It's a low-risk move, so it's nothing to stress over, but it's rare for these sorts of guys to really play well enough to merit any sort of meaningful return.

It's conceivable that Gomes might smack around lefties for a few months and garner interest at the deadline. It's happened before. Realistically, however, it's exceptionally unlikely for a contending team to give up much of value for the short half of a corner outfield platoon, especially when the guy doesn't offer much defensively or on the bases. In the very, very best case scenario you probably get a guy who wasn't as good a prospect as Perez or Terdoslavich were in their minor league days.

Young...honestly, I don't think there's any realistic shot of converting him into something valuable. I agree he has his uses as the 24th or 25th guy on a playoff team, but those sorts are freely available talents, and most organizations have a player or two in the upper minors who can play multiple positions and run the bases. The best you can hope for in an EY trade is a PTBNL or cash considerations.
    I haven't disagreed with any of this. The point I made is that we MIGHT get a little something for one or both of them if someone has an early injury. The one thing Terdoslavich has proven is that he doesn't appear to be much of a threat off the bench and that he needs consistent ABs to provide any production. We've already committed money to Gomes, and it looks more and more like we're going to take a bath on the money promised to Callaspo unless we carry two backup IFs who can't play SS.

I like Joey as much as the next guy I guess, but he's not good enough to be a starting OF at this level. Can he hit? Sure, when he gets regular playing time. However, he can't provide power, can't steal a base, and is likely a defensive liability anywhere other than LF or 1B (where he won't get ABs).

I'm pretty sure it's fair to assume that Smith is going to be sent down no matter what - no sense in starting his clock unless you're going to make him the everyday CF and have him lead off. That leaves you Perez and Cunningham as guys capable of handling CF defensively until Melvin returns. Assuming you cut EY, you pretty much have to carry both of those guys, so you're now looking at Markakis, Perez, Cunningham, Gomes, Almonte, and potentially KJ - all of whom offer things that Terdo can't (power, positional flexibility, ability to play CF, whatever).

It becomes even more complicated if we sign Olivera - he'll be the 2B until they can unload or release Johnson, meaning you've removed another potential leadoff option when you send Peterson down, and you more or less have no choice but to keep EY and Perez.

The return I personally would be asking for in ANY Gomes/EY/Callaspo deal would be international bonus slots anyway. There's a much better chance Hart & Company could turn that into a better prospect return we'd get for any of those guys, and we really don't need any more 4th/5th OFs or utility IFs than we've already got.
    Last edited by clvclv; 03-09-2015 at 08:26 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I certainly hope dak is wrong about Thomas as I like him. And I wouldn't DFA Reyes either at this point. But I don't see him in our long-term plans so unless traded I could see him DFA'd eventually.
    It kind of feels like the Braves were sending a message to Thomas and Reyes with these early cuts. 40-man players are typically the ones you want to get a longer look at for consideration now and into the future. Instead, they are gone after 5 days of Grapefruit League play and guys like Feigl, Veal, Castro, and Ciriaco are still around to get playing time.

Now that they're written-off for the foreseeable future, I think they'd be smart to DFA both of them and try to get them through waivers in order to outright them to AAA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Just watched the first few innings of today's game. Wandy looked solid. He definitely hung a few pitches that the Nats just missed, but his command was fairly good. Its a shame there was no radar gun, but Wandy is a guy who has pitched effectively in the past with high 80s / low 90s stuff. He's got a hell of a curveball, and that type of out-pitch probably makes him a better pitcher than Stults if healthy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Just watched the first few innings of today's game. Wandy looked solid. He definitely hung a few pitches that the Nats just missed, but his command was fairly good. Its a shame there was no radar gun, but Wandy is a guy who has pitched effectively in the past with high 80s / low 90s stuff. He's got a hell of a curveball, and that type of out-pitch probably makes him a better pitcher than Stults if healthy.
    I agree, Wandy is better than Stults if healthy. Of course both could make the team depending on Minor's situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I think that if Wandy is healthy, he can get the job done. I figure it'll be he and Stults, but I think one of those spots is Wandy's to lose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I maybe just missed it or just don't remember, but what does Stults make money wise if he makes the team? I remember the details on Wandy and that Stults has opt-out date of 3 April. But I cannot recall what he'll make money wise if he makes the team.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Nats announcers are by far, IMO.
    Absolutely.

The White Sox crew, to me, let you in on their being over the top: it's all for a laugh in the end. The Nats bunch seem earnest in their snot nosed sense of entitlement.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomahawkCult For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-09-2015), JohnAdcox (03-10-2015), Julio3000 (03-10-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomahawkCult View Post
    Absolutely.

The White Sox crew, to me, let you in on their being over the top: it's all for a laugh in the end. The Nats bunch seem earnest in their snot nosed sense of entitlement.
    Yeah, this. Harrelson is like a Vegas act or an old rock band—not that great in its prime, and a little ridiculous in its dotage, but with a wink in the delivery. The Nats crew is just a giant, un-selfaware **** sandwich.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

TomahawkCult (03-09-2015)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Bob Carpenter is the main guy for the Gnats on MASN. He was pretty good years ago when he did SEC Football. But the times I've heard him do Gnats games, he's been hard to listen to.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Also, if he's on base, pitchers having to worry about him and throwing over constantly can really throw off their focus.
    I fixed that for you.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Bob Carpenter is the main guy for the Gnats on MASN. He was pretty good years ago when he did SEC Football. But the times I've heard him do Gnats games, he's been hard to listen to.
    He is beyond terrible. I get that the NATS pay the checks and that's fine that they are unabashed homers. Some would say our guys are too. But the one thing our guys won't do is belittle and put down the opponent. You should have had to listen to them when Sutton was up there for those two years. I felt sorry for him, between having to deal with Carp, plus it was obvious his heart was still in ATL.