Page 38 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Training 2015

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    If Simmons can show improvement at the plate and Bethancourt can keep up the double/gap hitter profile he's shown in the Spring... this could be a more interesting year than originally thought...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    If Simmons can show improvement at the plate and Bethancourt can keep up the double/gap hitter profile he's shown in the Spring... this could be a more interesting year than originally thought...
    Seitzer could prove to be invaluable. But, its only ST so far so lets hope it carrys on to the season.

I just couldn't understand what happened to Simmons last year. His swing looked so much better in his rookie season.
    Natural Immunity Croc

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

zbhargrove (03-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'm not sure why everyone is so high on EY Jr... looking at his stats, he hasn't really done much besides steal bases this spring... he's going to be an awful hitter. I know there hasn't been anyone better, I just have a hard time getting excited about a ~.250 singles hitter
    To be fair he is a 390 OBP so far. If he could even manage a 350 OBP then you play him every day with his speed.

But his history tells us he won't get there outside of Coors.
    Natural Immunity Croc

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

zbhargrove (03-15-2015)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I'm not sure why everyone is so high on EY Jr... looking at his stats, he hasn't really done much besides steal bases this spring... he's going to be an awful hitter
    Which is why I'm concerned, as dak said above, that Fredi's going to bat him leadoff and he's going to rock a .300 OBP.

He's been on base a lot this spring—stolen bases, scored runs. He's also made some solid defensive plays and accurate throws in center. He's showed up in the box score of pretty much every game. Since he had (IMO) the first crack at the job, and since he's a well-regarded vet, I think it was an easy slide into his being anointed the CF-designate, so to speak. Not saying I agree, of course, but that seems to be what happened.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-15-2015), zbhargrove (03-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    anyone need some March 21 tickets to the Nats game?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    It would be thrilling to have a lineup that wasn't wall-to-wall stank after the top 3-4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Simmons could reasonably improve. If Jace and Christhian can hit a little bit, we really won't be terrible with our pitching. Some guys last year just had dreadful seasons at the plate (Simmons, CJ, JUp with RISP).

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Seitzer could prove to be invaluable. But, its only ST so far so lets hope it carrys on to the season.

I just couldn't understand what happened to Simmons last year. His swing looked so much better in his rookie season.
    He is not sitting on his butt to collect a paycheck, that is why.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    I just have a hard time getting excited about a ~.250 singles hitter
    You mean the entire lineup?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (03-15-2015), Prikichi (03-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    You mean the entire lineup?
    That's not fair. I'm pretty sure there are some .260 singles hitters, too.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (03-15-2015), Hawk (03-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Have caught most of today's game on the radio today. Nice all around day from Cunningham. A couple hits, a really nice diving catch, and two rocket throws. Stults was solid, though not spectacular. A lot of baserunners but got 3 GIDP.

Braves will need to tip their hand a bit this Wednesday on the SP battle. Folty would be due to get 4 IP, Cody 4 IP, and James Russell 3 IP (if he's getting stretched out). If they do stretch Russell out, they will be positioned to trade Wandy.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I think this half-assed attempt to make Russell a swingman is doomed to failure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Have caught most of today's game on the radio today. Nice all around day from Cunningham. A couple hits, a really nice diving catch, and two rocket throws. Stults was solid, though not spectacular. A lot of baserunners but got 3 GIDP.

Braves will need to tip their hand a bit this Wednesday on the SP battle. Folty would be due to get 4 IP, Cody 4 IP, and James Russell 3 IP (if he's getting stretched out). If they do stretch Russell out, they will be positioned to trade Wandy.
    The only reason this would make any sense is if we need an extra 2 million for signing Olivera, which seems doubtful IMO. If that's not the case, then I'd echo DOB in this case against Bowman:

@DOBrienAJC · 4h 4 hours ago
    @Workthecount @FrazierBrave ... Wandy can make the team better now. #Braves do care about winning now, even if some don't want them to care

PS: If two million is an issue with Wandy then why did we spend 3 million on someone like Callaspo?
    Last edited by Braves1976; 03-15-2015 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Wandy is my favorite guy in the mix for the two rotation spots when it comes to what he could give us for a half season, but I wouldn't hesitate to trade him for a high-upside prospect or a piece that can make the team better (a better platoon partner for Gomes maybe).

If we continue down the path of stretching out 4 guys for two spots, then I think that is a tell that the Braves are at least positioning themselves for a trade opportunity. They'll surely wait to see how Minor is progressing later this month before pulling the trigger on anything.

I don't think the $ on Wandy / Stults / Russell would be the biggest driver in trading them, but it can't be ignored that it could help the Braves front-load an Olivera offer even further. The $2m or so from the reported Melvin Upton insurance policy could help too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Wandy is my favorite guy in the mix for the two rotation spots when it comes to what he could give us for a half season, but I wouldn't hesitate to trade him for a high-upside prospect or a piece that can make the team better (a better platoon partner for Gomes maybe).

If we continue down the path of stretching out 4 guys for two spots, then I think that is a tell that the Braves are at least positioning themselves for a trade opportunity. They'll surely wait to see how Minor is progressing later this month before pulling the trigger on anything.

I don't think the $ on Wandy / Stults / Russell would be the biggest driver in trading them, but it can't be ignored that it could help the Braves front-load an Olivera offer even further. The $2m or so from the reported Melvin Upton insurance policy could help too.
    I don't see Wandy or Stults bringing much if anything in a trade at this point (nor does Bowman apparently and he brought it up), Russell should bring something but maybe not much. So again the only angle that makes sense to me in such a trade is needing an extra 2 million for Olivera.

Also, I know Bowman has sources but the way this came up with Wandy it may be he's just speculating based on what he desires. He does that sometimes but other times he has actually heard something so who knows.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 03-15-2015 at 04:08 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Which is why I'm concerned, as dak said above, that Fredi's going to bat him leadoff and he's going to rock a .300 OBP.

He's been on base a lot this spring—stolen bases, scored runs. He's also made some solid defensive plays and accurate throws in center. He's showed up in the box score of pretty much every game. Since he had (IMO) the first crack at the job, and since he's a well-regarded vet, I think it was an easy slide into his being anointed the CF-designate, so to speak. Not saying I agree, of course, but that seems to be what happened.
    I think that there's a chance that the EY in CF experiment is as much a stab at making sure that Boston doesn't feel like they're in a position to demand much in return for Bradley personally. Trading for him makes entirely too much sense for us in the long run as long as we don't overpay. Yes, he's struggled mightily when he's been up with them, but there are entirely too many scouts who believe that it's just a matter of time until he takes off (he has hit at every level after all) and he's just not going to get more opportunities there moving forward since they're not willing to move Betts and they've signed Castillo.

Playing EY in CF as long as he plays passable defense and floating the rumor that Peraza's working in CF a bit at least shows them that we're in a position to let Jose learn the position this year in Gwinnett - especially if we sign Olivera to play 2B.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (03-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    That's not fair. I'm pretty sure there are some .260 singles hitters, too.
    .240 guys just grumbled a bit...
    Ivermectin Man

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (03-16-2015)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    The only reason this would make any sense is if we need an extra 2 million for signing Olivera, which seems doubtful IMO. If that's not the case, then I'd echo DOB in this case against Bowman:

@DOBrienAJC · 4h 4 hours ago
    @Workthecount @FrazierBrave ... Wandy can make the team better now. #Braves do care about winning now, even if some don't want them to care

PS: If two million is an issue with Wandy then why did we spend 3 million on someone like Callaspo?
    The Callapso deal was early, correct? We underestimated what would be available on minor league deals so we made some moves early in the offseason that we didn't need to (Wang, Veal, Callapso).

IMO this is a no brainer, sign Wandy, I can't believe there isn't 2 million in the budget somewhere.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to stpeteirish For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-16-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stpeteirish View Post
    The Callapso deal was early, correct? We underestimated what would be available on minor league deals so we made some moves early in the offseason that we didn't need to (Wang, Veal, Callapso).

IMO this is a no brainer, sign Wandy, I can't believe there isn't 2 million in the budget somewhere.
    Nope, nothing left. Gotta make do. That money is earmarked for a new Gulfstream for Lib—er, Hector Olivera.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Looks like TJ surgery for Zack Wheeler... they're having some Braves like luck recently.