Page 41 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Training 2015

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    New Bowman article on the roster competition for position players. I agree that KJ is looking like the odd man out in the IF.

The option to carry both Gosselin and Callaspo has become more attractive as Kelly Johnson has displayed a slow bat in the process of recording just two hits in the 19 at-bats he's compiled this month. Johnson had been regarded as a versatile utility player who could play across the infield and left field if necessary.
    "If you go out and say we've got open spots and you've got competition, then you've got to be able to produce a little bit," Gonzalez said. "If a guy wins a spot hitting .055 while the other guy is hitting .360, then you come out looking like a fool."

http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article...ts-with-braves
    Bowman starts that piece with "Eric Young Jr. has proved that he can play center field" and doesn't mention Eury Perez till the end as one of the last names among "primary backup outfielder's role" candidates.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    Huh. I was as big a CJ fan as they come … I liked the idea of a contact/get on base guy in the line up (and yes, I freely admit I was looking at the box score through homer-tinted glasses). But even I was mystified by that extension. I never bought the tradable contract argument. If he was worth it, why would you want to trade? If he’s not, what makes you think you’d be able to?

::sigh::

Not sure I've ever "defended" the extension, but have always admitted I at least saw some logic in it. I think everyone understood he wasn't the guy that contended for a batting title, but he had enough of a track record that it wasn't so far-fetched to believe that even though you thought he'd regress some that close to league-average production wasn't unattainable. If you were getting that from your 7-hole hitter, who cares? The bigger problem was that 2 guys you ALWAYS expected to hit higher in the order were so bad they'd have been released if they weren't owed so much money (and one eventually was). If that ultimately turns out to be what you got from him over the life of the contract, what other available free-agent 3B could you have replaced him with over the last 2 years? The Braves will quite likely exercise the buyout following 2017, meaning they will have paid him $7.833 million AAV for the three years. Prado's extension was $10 million AAV. Has he been 22% better than Johnson? (I ask seriously since I'm not the best stathead we've ever met.) Headley's deal is at least $13 million AAV if he doesn't reach any of his bonuses. Will he wind up being 40% better? Who knows? The other options that wouldn't have cost even more money would have been Mike Aviles, Gordon Beckham, Callaspo, KJ, and Mark Reynolds - pretty slim pickings IMO.

Again, I'm not trying to defend him further than to point out that the other available options that would've been substantial upgrades would've cost MUCH MORE money, and it took losing Medlen and Beachy in a 3 day span to convince Liberty to spend money on Santana last year - my guess is getting them to part with that kind of money to replace a healthy Johnson would've been like pulling teeth.

That extension perfectly points out how desperately we needed to rebuild the system - we didn't even have options in the minors that would've been able to replace Johnson of all people.
    Last edited by clvclv; 03-16-2015 at 10:42 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not sure I've ever "defended" the extension, but have always admitted I at least saw some logic in it. I think everyone understood he wasn't the guy that contended for a batting title, but he had enough of a track record that it wasn't so far-fetched to believe that even though you thought he'd regress some that close to league-average production wasn't unattainable. If you were getting that from your 7-hole hitter, who cares? The bigger problem was that 2 guys you ALWAYS expected to hit higher in the order were so bad they'd have been released if they weren't owed so much money (and one eventually was). If that ultimately turns out to be what you got from him over the life of the contract, what other available free-agent 3B could you have replaced him with over the last 2 years? The Braves will quite likely exercise the buyout following 2017, meaning they will have paid him $7.833 million AAV for the three years. Prado's extension was $10 million AAV. Has he been 22% better than Johnson? (I ask seriously since I'm not the best stathead we've ever met.) Headley's deal is at least $13 million AAV if he doesn't reach any of his bonuses. Will he wind up being 40% better? Who knows? The other options that wouldn't have cost even more money would have been Mike Aviles, Gordon Beckham, Callaspo, KJ, and Mark Reynolds - pretty slim pickings IMO.

Again, I'm not trying to defend him further than to point out that the other available options that would've been substantial upgrades would've cost MUCH MORE money, and it took losing Medlen and Beachy in a 3 day span to convince Liberty to spend money on Santana last year - my guess is getting them to part with that kind of money to replace a healthy Johnson would've been like pulling teeth.

That extension perfectly points out how desperately we needed to rebuild the system - we didn't even have options in the minors that would've been able to replace Johnson of all people.
    The extension was completely unnecessary because we had him under contractual control through arbitration no matter what. We just killed our flexability by guaranteeing him the money.

IMO, this was the most illogical of all of Wren's moves.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (03-17-2015), Braves1976 (03-17-2015), Tapate50 (03-17-2015), weso1 (03-17-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The extension was completely unnecessary because we had him under contractual control through arbitration no matter what. We just killed our flexability by guaranteeing him the money.

I only say that the reasoning behind the move was sound though - all those extensions were negotiated with the goal of gaining cost-certainty because they needed to know how much money would be available to try to retain Heyward and/or Upton since their plan was to keep the entire core together. The danger in going year-to-year with Johnson was that he put up another season or two like that one and got Prado or Headley money in arbitration and kept you from being able to keep one of the more important players.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

Without question. Even at his best, Chris Johnson is a replaceable player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Today's game starts in spectacular fashion with an EY Jr strikeout followed by a Jace ground rule 2B.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Gomes Ks, but doubles machine Christian Bethancourt plates Peterson with another 2-base hit. Simmons singles in Bet.

2-0 Braves

...and Chris Johnson strikes out swinging. Because Chris Johnson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Gomes Ks, but doubles machine Christian Bethancourt plates Peterson with another 2-base hit. Simmons singles in Bet.

2-0 Braves

...and Chris Johnson strikes out swinging. Because Chris Johnson.
    When is a thing a thing?
    Natural Immunity Croc

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (03-17-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Jace Peterson has to be the opening day second baseman...HAS TO BE!
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    CB nails Sandoval trying to steal second. Do they know that CB has a decent arm?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Had Betts at 2nd!!! Wake up Miller!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    When is a thing a thing?
    Long, LONG, after spring training

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Long, LONG, after spring training
    Agreed, but there is more reason for optimism after what we saw last year. Wouldn't you agree?
    Natural Immunity Croc

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    When is a thing a thing?
    Christian 2Bethancourt

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

thethe (03-17-2015)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    We just might come out on upper end of Heyward deal yet. Miller looks good!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Agreed, but there is more reason for optimism after what we saw last year. Wouldn't you agree?
    Not really. Spring stats are as meaningless as they come.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    We just might come out on upper end of Heyward deal yet. Miller looks good!!!
    Heyward is an awesome player as well as Upton but I really do believe the deals are going to end up being really good ones for the Braves.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    You are consistently a beaming ray of sunshine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    You are like the anti-me with the Braves now. I'm not surprised we are taking away different things from CB's performance thus far.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    You are consistently a beaming ray of sunshine.
    Do you actually put credence in spring performance?