Thread: BBA's Top 100 Prospects: Braves one and done

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

BBA's Top 100 Prospects: Braves one and done

Jose Peraza at No. 54. That's it. Where's Folty, Peterson, Rio?

No love for the Braves to be found here.

LINK

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    An accompanying article in BBA indicates "almost 100" other players were considered.

Included in this also-ran list were Albies, Folty, Hursh, Rio Ruiz, Jace Peterson and Lucas Sims,

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Hard to believe we made all those trades and didn't get a single top 100 prospect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Ultimately the verdict on this off-season's wheeling and dealing will come from the performance of the players. But for now the various prospect rankings provide the best unbiased evaluation, and BBA is probably still the best outfit when it comes to ranking prospects. Their list suggests that Hart has managed to improve our minor league depth, but he has not really picked up the kinds of prospects that significantly improve our chances for fielding a strong team in 2017 or beyond. We have given up a lot of projected wins in 2015 for very slim increases in our projected win numbers in the out years.

Of course I want to note that we have picked up some major league players this off-season (Miller and Markakis being the main ones), not just prospects. So those guys need to be factored in for any complete evaluation. But in terms of prospects, I am unimpressed by most what Hart has acquired. And the acquisitions I like (Banuelos and Suarez) came without giving up much in the way of major league ready talent.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 02-20-2015 at 12:15 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-20-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    These lists vary so much. As I said in another thread, guys rise and fall all the time. Spots 50-200 are a lot of times filled with very similar guys. New guys emerge. Lower ranked guys emerge. Some rankings have more of our guys. But all of the guys we got have clear talent. So we will see. Rankings right now don't mean much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    Hard to believe we made all those trades and didn't get a single top 100 prospect.
    That's what happens when you shoot for quantity over quality (and injured players). Hopefully some will bounce back or have an impact this year and get on the next one. 2016/17 will be the true judge of this Mukaki Rebuild.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-20-2015), Braves1976 (02-20-2015), Hawk (02-20-2015), Metaphysicist (02-21-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Disappointing, but I didn't expect it to be that much different. A little suprised that Foltyjakslinasoingoahwicz wasn't listed, but he's probably still a work in progress to some extent.

It sounds as though we have quite a few guys in the 100 to 200 strata and a jump here or there by any of them and we may have a serviceable big leaguer. We still need some high-ceiling pizzazz.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Folty probably didn't appear because of his ML stint in which he was admittedly rushed by the 'stros.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Disappointing, but I didn't expect it to be that much different. A little suprised that Foltyjakslinasoingoahwicz wasn't listed, but he's probably still a work in progress to some extent.

It sounds as though we have quite a few guys in the 100 to 200 strata and a jump here or there by any of them and we may have a serviceable big leaguer. We still need some high-ceiling pizzazz.
    We have plenty of high-ceiling guys, especially pitchers.

Baseball America is losing ground quickly; they're not very good anymore. This is more an indictment on them than it is on our prospects.

We don't have any sure-fire studs, but we now have a large group of high-ceiling guys that could eventually become quality major leaguers.

Most of our guys are good candidates to move up - Albies, Ruiz, Jenkins, Sanchez, Sims, Davidson, Mallex Smith, Dustin Peterson, etc. If we have a good year from these guys and a good draft, everyone will talk about how loaded we are this time next year.
    Last edited by smootness; 02-20-2015 at 04:58 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

bravebonebook (02-20-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    BBA is probably still the best outfit when it comes to ranking prospects.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Baseball America is losing ground quickly; they're not very good anymore. This is more an indictment on them than it is on our prospects.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    We have plenty of high-ceiling guys, especially pitchers.

We don't have any sure-fire studs, but we now have a large group of high-ceiling guys that could eventually become quality major leaguers.

Most of our guys are good candidates to move up - Albies, Ruiz, Jenkins, Sanchez, Sims, Davidson, Mallex Smith, Dustin Peterson, etc. If we have a good year from these guys and a good draft, everyone will talk about how loaded we are this time next year.
    I think we are probably saying the same thing from a different angle. It's very hard to gauge guys Low Class A and below and that's where most of our top-drawer hitters are now, especially Albies and Davidson. Both those guys could rocket up the charts in 2015. I'll admit that my expectations might be a bit too high and I should point out when I say "serviceable," I mean a capable big league starter. I probably should have used a different word.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    It was as I expected so not really disappointing, what was disappointing to me was the returns in some of our bigger trades as nsacpi pointed out (and I agree with him that we did better in our smaller deals). Also, BA's Ask BA: Who Missed The Top 100? piece states about Folty: "is he a reliever long-term?"
    Last edited by Braves1976; 02-20-2015 at 06:26 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Ultimately the verdict on this off-season's wheeling and dealing will come from the performance of the players. But for now the various prospect rankings provide the best unbiased evaluation, and BBA is probably still the best outfit when it comes to ranking prospects. Their list suggests that Hart has managed to improve our minor league depth, but he has not really picked up the kinds of prospects that significantly improve our chances for fielding a strong team in 2017 or beyond. We have given up a lot of projected wins in 2015 for very slim increases in our projected win numbers in the out years.

Of course I want to note that we have picked up some major league players this off-season (Miller and Markakis being the main ones), not just prospects. So those guys need to be factored in for any complete evaluation. But in terms of prospects, I am unimpressed by most what Hart has acquired. And the acquisitions I like (Banuelos and Suarez) came without giving up much in the way of major league ready talent.
    This is silly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    This is silly.
    Wow, now that's a good argument. But not quite as impressive as your arguments for starting Peraza's service clock from day one this year.