Thread: Dodgers Sign Brandon Beachy (sigh)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

Dodgers Sign Brandon Beachy (sigh)

The Dodgers have announced that they’ve signed righty Brandon Beachy to a one-year deal. Beachy will receive $2.75MM, and the Dodgers will get a club option for 2016 that can be worth between $3MM and $6MM depending on how much Beachy pitches in 2015. To clear space for Beachy on the 40-man roster, the Dodgers moved pitcher Chris Withrow to the 60-day DL. .

Beachy missed the entire 2014 season after having his second Tommy John surgery and will likely spend the first part of the 2015 season on the disabled list. As Rosenthal notes, though, Beachy gives the Dodgers an extra starting pitching option for 2016 after a 2015-16 offseason in which Brett Anderson and perhaps Zack Greinke (who has an opt-out) could depart via free agency. Once Beachy is healthy, he’ll join Anderson and Brandon McCarthy as newcomers to the Dodgers’ group of rotation candidates.

Should Beachy return to form, he could end up being very helpful — the 28-year-old has a career 3.23 ERA with an excellent 9.2 K/9 and 2.9 BB/9 in parts of four seasons with the Braves, giving him upside that’s rare in a pitcher signed to a one-year deal. Finding a pitcher with Beachy’s talent is especially tricky at this point in the offseason — the free agent starting pitching market is now largely bare, with Kevin Correia, Randy Wolf and Chris Young as the only significant free agents remaining. It’s not yet clear, however, how well Beachy will pitch after having surgery for the second time in three years.

Atlanta non-tendered Beachy earlier this offseason. He still only has four years and 14 days of service time, so as MLBTR’s Steve Adams noted earlier this month, he would have had two years of team control remaining regardless of the terms of his new deal. The Dodgers’ club option for 2016 means they won’t have to take him through the arbitration process for his last year before he becomes eligible for free agency.

FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal was the first to report the deal (via Twitter). CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman tweeted that Beachy would receive $2.75MM guaranteed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Brandon Beachy (elbow) has worked on altering his delivery as he makes his way back from a second Tommy John surgery.

Beachy's motion is now more of a straight line toward home plate rather than across his body, which he hopes will put less stress on his elbow. "I had Tommy John once," Beachy said. "I followed everything you’re supposed to do and it happened again. It might have been bad luck. But it didn’t make sense to me to do it all over again the same way just hoping it was bad luck." Beachy is on track to throw live batting practice in a couple weeks and begin a rehab assignment sometime in June. That puts him in line for a return around the All-Star break.

Source: Orange County Register
    Ivermectin Man

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (05-08-2015), Julio3000 (10-17-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Happy for Brandon. I think that's a fair deal for both.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-08-2015), Julio3000 (10-17-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Brandon Beachy has elected to become a free agent.
    2016 was another lost season for Beachy, who's made just two starts at the major league level since 2013 due to elbow issues. The 30-year-old right-hander will have to prove his health before another team takes a chance.

I read this today and got really sad.

He was one of the most enjoyable pitchers I've watched in a Braves uniform in a long long time with his ability to pound the zone. I really wish he had panned out for us. I can't imagine how frustrated he is. I liked his story and his stuff a lot for us. Wish he could get it back on track
    Ivermectin Man

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

BornaBrave (10-17-2016), JohnAdcox (10-17-2016), Julio3000 (10-17-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Brandon Beachy has elected to become a free agent.
    2016 was another lost season for Beachy, who's made just two starts at the major league level since 2013 due to elbow issues. The 30-year-old right-hander will have to prove his health before another team takes a chance.

I read this today and got really sad.

He was one of the most enjoyable pitchers I've watched in a Braves uniform in a long long time with his ability to pound the zone. I really wish he had panned out for us. I can't imagine how frustrated he is. I liked his story and his stuff a lot for us. Wish he could get it back on track
    his latest issue was the shoulder not elbow. I think the elbow is healed IIrc.. shoulders are a complex injury for a pitcher and take a long time to heal. I wouldn't be surprised if he is able to come back and have a small 2-3 year window of good pitching. no doubt some team will give him a spring invite on a minor league deal.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-17-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    It's insane to think about. He was so damn good while he was healthy. I was a huge fan. Him and Minor both.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I'd be cool giving him a minor league deal with spring training invite.
    Forever Fredi

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    I'm all for giving Beachy another shot on a minor league deal. He was good for us when he was healthy. I'd sign him and pray for a miraculous return to anything close to his old self.
    Last edited by FreemanFan; 10-17-2016 at 11:25 PM.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FreemanFan View Post
    I'm all for giving Beachy another shot on a minor league deal. He was good for us when he was healthy. I'd sign him and pray for a miraculous return to anything close to his old self.
    My mind was blown when I initially found out he had to have Tommy John and then to have yet ANOTHER one!! I don't claim to be a "pitch analyzer", but what blew my mind was it always seemed to me that Brandon's windup and delivery were effortless and smooth...I loved watching him pitch and thought he had wonderful mechanics...

Ok now someone can tell me how I was wrong in my analysis lol...I honestly am curious if I'm wrong

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Braves and beachy will probably never be together again. There was that messy arb deal and then the braves basically said bye. I doubt either side wants to reunite.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveAKAslick View Post
    My mind was blown when I initially found out he had to have Tommy John and then to have yet ANOTHER one!! I don't claim to be a "pitch analyzer", but what blew my mind was it always seemed to me that Brandon's windup and delivery were effortless and smooth...I loved watching him pitch and thought he had wonderful mechanics...

Ok now someone can tell me how I was wrong in my analysis lol...I honestly am curious if I'm wrong
    I'm no expert, but I remember reading things about his mechanics not being great. His delivery looked smooth, but I think it was centered on things like his arm getting out ahead of his lower body, which is a big warning sign apparently.

Again, I don't really know anything myself, but I do remember reading that and being surprised. But perhaps they were right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Our pitcher attrition during those years was atrocious. We went through a lot of arms that just didn't sustain anything.
    Ivermectin Man