Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves limited Heyward's power potential

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    An article like this proves exactly why this thing had to be tore down and rebuilt. The Braves had to be rebuilt from minors up. We wiffed on Frenchy, we wiffed on Heyward. The only place he will ever be the HOF he is supposed to be is MLB 11 The Show.
    Francoeur and Heyward didn't cause irreparable damage to the organization, and both of their situations were different. Even if they hadn't lived up to potential/billing, both had major league careers.

The hype and organizational investment in Brad Komminsk set the franchise back years.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Comparing Jeffery Franchise to Heyward is interesting
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    An article like this proves exactly why this thing had to be tore down and rebuilt. The Braves had to be rebuilt from minors up. We wiffed on Frenchy, we wiffed on Heyward. The only place he will ever be the HOF he is supposed to be is MLB 11 The Show.
    Right. They just brought back Roy Clark who was the head of scouting when both of those guys were drafted. So if he 'wiffed' on those two then are chances are bleak going forward.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-23-2015), bravesnumberone (02-23-2015), CyYoung31 (02-24-2015), Hawk (02-23-2015), Julio3000 (02-23-2015), zitothebrave (02-23-2015)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    You can make fun all you want but the Braves haven't turned out a position player that has been as advertised since McCann. Freeman is on his way and Simmons could still go either way. Thats not debatable thats fact.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    You can make fun all you want but the Braves haven't turned out a position player that has been as advertised since McCann. Freeman is on his way and Simmons could still go either way. Thats not debatable thats fact.
    Just because a player isn't as advertised doesn't mean they aren't good. And apparently only certain Braves fans and their front office are the ones who don't think Heyward is a good player.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-23-2015), CyYoung31 (02-24-2015), zitothebrave (02-23-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Heyward sure seems touchy about his ended relationship with the Braves.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Just because a player isn't as advertised doesn't mean they aren't good. And apparently only certain Braves fans and their front office are the ones who don't think Heyward is a good player.
    I'm not saying Heyward isn't good (maybe others are, but I'm not). It just seems like a chump move to blame his disappointment in his own performance on the fact he was asked to bat lead-off. As others have said, he changed his approach and it will be interesting if Fredi or anyone else flat-out asked him to do so. I doubt very much anyone did.

Francoeur is a chucklehead, but he managed to stick around a few years. Heyward is a better player and I expect he will stick around even longer because of his superior athleticism. And maybe Heyward becomes the franchise player many projected him to become. But in order to reach that level, he is going to have to do some serious thinking about his approach at the plate and like Matheny says, develop a solid approach regardless of where he is batting.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-23-2015)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    He should probably stop talking as much. He's all hurt we didn't give him a huge extension and now complaining about the Braves limiting his power. If he performed close to his talent he would have been paid. Bottom line

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emk418 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-23-2015), Runnin (02-23-2015), Tapate50 (02-23-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    He only "seems touchy" if you're touchy about ex-Braves criticizing the team. The comment should be ignored and he should not have said it.

He was put there because there was no one else to do it and it seemed to be a good fit for him. If he had been a more obvious power hitter he wouldn't have been put there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Just not classy of him to speak out like that against his former team. He needs to take some responsibility for his own performance.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

bravebonebook (02-24-2015)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Freeman is better than advertised.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

Carp (02-24-2015), Metaphysicist (02-25-2015), zedsdead (02-23-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'm not saying Heyward isn't good (maybe others are, but I'm not). It just seems like a chump move to blame his disappointment in his own performance on the fact he was asked to bat lead-off. As others have said, he changed his approach and it will be interesting if Fredi or anyone else flat-out asked him to do so. I doubt very much anyone did.

Francoeur is a chucklehead, but he managed to stick around a few years. Heyward is a better player and I expect he will stick around even longer because of his superior athleticism. And maybe Heyward becomes the franchise player many projected him to become. But in order to reach that level, he is going to have to do some serious thinking about his approach at the plate and like Matheny says, develop a solid approach regardless of where he is batting.
    This is what I think many have been trying to get across all along. I haven't heard anyone say that Heyward doesn't possess all-world potential and tools. He obviously does. The difference is that you can't hang the blame for not reaching your potential ceiling on others. You've never heard a peep from guys that struggled as badly as B. J. and Uggla about it being the coaches' or Manager's fault.

Part of his quotes can be attributed to his age - he is still young after all - but he's probably already quietly heard from Mattheny and others that the Cardinals' organization won't put up with that kind of criticism regardless of his talent. They have plenty of good prospects lined up behind him, and the ability to go get someone else for the kind of money he hopes to get if he wants to complain to the media. He's not a "hometown hero" in St. Louis. If he keeps shooting his mouth off, the only team willing to give him a mega-deal will be the Yankees - the Red Sox, Dodgers, and Cubs sure as hell don't need him, and there aren't many more teams with the kind of resources to hand those deals out.
    Last edited by clvclv; 02-23-2015 at 08:53 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Thought it rather interesting that Jim Duquette had him #2 on his 1B list ahead of several others with bigger names on his XM show the other day.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Just not classy of him to speak out like that against his former team. He needs to take some responsibility for his own performance.
    I think he got coaxed into saying that by the reporter. It makes perfect sense that batting leadoff could stifle a hitter's power a bit. The reporter led him right to it and Jason took the bait. Reporter 1, Jason 0

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Probably because he expected to play here forever, and the Braves pulled the rug out from everyone really fast and probably didn't even talk to him about it. Just a hunch on that last part.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

22. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

holden (02-24-2015)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Didn't say he wasn't. But he hasn't done it long enough yet. All I am saying is the Atlanta farm system has produced very little in the last decade, compared to the decade before.
    Last edited by VirginiaBrave; 02-23-2015 at 10:21 PM.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Probably because he expected to play here forever, and the Braves pulled the rug out from everyone really fast and probably didn't even talk to him about it. Just a hunch on that last part.
    Last time I checked Atlanta wasn't NYC. All the local boy stuff was hype. Dude's from Jersey...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    I think most hitters, no matter where they bat in the lineup, should be trying to see pitches and get into a good hitters count to where they can drive a predictable pitch. Isn't that just common sense and the philosophy for most elite hitters??? Heyward's swing hasn't been right, limiting his ability to drive the ball. It had very little to do with batting leadoff. As a matter of fact, he has speed, the ability to take a walk, has shown at one time or another the ability to slash the ball from gap to gap. I have always thought he was a leadoff hitter in a power hitters body. Maybe he just needs to change his way of thinking as to what he really is as a hitter.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Diesel For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-24-2015)

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...4288235c8.html

it sure as hell doesnt sound to me like hes touchy or having attitude issues or all of the silly things being said here.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Last time I checked Atlanta wasn't NYC. All the local boy stuff was hype. Dude's from Jersey...
    "The Heywards moved to Georgia soon after he was born"

Do you think Heyward considers himself a New Jersian?