Thread: Minors thread 7/28: Tewell Time May Be Approaching In Catching Battle

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

Minors thread 7/28: Tewell Time May Be Approaching In Catching Battle

Of all the catchers drafted by the Braves in the last two drafts, it seems we've all been waiting for one guy to make his mark. That time might have finally arrived.

His name is Tyler Tewell, and he's one of boatload of Southern Conference players drafted by the Braves this decade. He bats lefty and does not strike out a ton. At 5-11, 185, think McCann Lite.

And out of the blue, he's become a major threat at the plate.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, or his .234 average for the season. Focus on the just-completed four-game series with Asheville -- Tewell played in all four, going 7-for-16 with a pair of homers and a whopping 10 RBIs (the home was a grand slam, to be sure).

His current total of eight homers more than doubles his rookie output, and he's certainly getting the lion's share of playing time at Rome. But remember, last year Cory Brownsten was named the SAL's top defensive catcher with Rome and has virtually disappeared from the Braves' landscape. But Tewell has much more of an offensive background, hitting .357 in his one full, healthy season at ASU.

Add to that, his catching skills measure up.
    ---------------
    MONDAY'S GAMES

CLASS AAA

Gwinnett (47-63) 8, Charlotte 3

WP: Flande (6-6, CG) 9 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 5 K. (103 pitches)
    Carrithers 1-5, HR (3rd), RBI; Kazmar 2-3, 2B, 3B, R, 4 RBI; Gartrell 2-4, 2B, 2 R, RBI; Gosselin 2-5, 2B; Leonard 1-4, 2B, 2 R; Boggs 3-5, 2B, 2 R; Yepez 1-3, 2 RBI.

CLASS AA

Mississippi (18-16) 4, Montgomery 2

SP: Schlosser 4 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K. (2.35).
    WP: Moran (1-1) 4 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K. Harper (Save, 6) 1 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K.
    Bethancourt 3-4, R, RBI, 2 SB; Hefflinger 1-4, 2B, 3 RBI; Brewer 1-3, R, SB; La Stella 1-4, 3 (.331).

ADVANCED CLASS A

Lynchburg (12-21) 6, Frederick 1

WP: Ross (7-4) 7 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 2 K. Shreve 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K. (0.00).
    E. Reyes 1-4, R, 3B, 3 RBI; Kubitza 3-4, 2B, R; McGill 1-3, 2B, 2 R; Hyams 2-3, 2B, RBI.

CLASS A

Rome (16-20) 9, Augusta 6

WP: L. Sims (6-4) 5 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 4 BB, 5 K.
    Wren 2-6, 2B, R, RBI, SB (18); Peraza 1-4, 2 RBI, BB, SB (47); Carroll 1-4, R, RBI, SB; Heffley 1-2, 2B, 2 R, 2 RBI; Tewell 2-5, R.

SHORT-SEASON

Danville (19-16) 5, Bluefield 1

WP: Gil (1-1) 5 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K. Marksberry 2.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 4 K.
    Lien 1-4, 3B, RBI, 2 SB; Brown 3-4, 2 R, 2B, HR (1st), 2 RBI; Schrader 1-4, 2B, R, RBI.

Game One
    GC Tigers 1, GC Braves (12-18) 0

LP: Espinosa (2-2) 4 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 5 K.
    V. Reyes 1-2, BB (.355); Obregon 1-3. Only 2 hits.

Game Two
    GC Tigers 7, GC Braves 5 (9)

SP: Zavala 5 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 7 K.
    LP: Paulino (0-1) 2 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 11
    Sears 1-4, 3B, RBI; McKenzie 2-4, R, 3B, HR (1st) 4 RBIs; Livesay 1-4.

DSL Blue Jays 6, DSL Braves (20-26) 4

LP: Santiago (1-5) 3 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 3 HBP.
    Leiva 5 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K.
    Tejada 2-4, 2 RBI; Estevez 2-5, R, RBI; Didder 1-4, RBI; Chin 1-5, R.
    Last edited by rico43; 07-29-2013 at 11:06 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-29-2013), parkvadawg (07-29-2013), thethe (07-29-2013)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    rico, with your touting of Tewell, you have now surpassed Bill Shanks in the over homerism category by about six light years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    rico, with your touting of Tewell, you have now surpassed Bill Shanks in the over homerism category by about six light years.
    Who do you mirror with your negativity is the question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    First, you wound me by even mentioning me alongside Shanks. As for homerism, you trying writing something different about the minors every day for six months. I got no ties to Tewell; UTC is part of the SoCon, but the douches don't have baseball! Tewell had the biggest series by a Braves minor league catcher since Tyler Flowers was around; that makes him a viable guy to discuss. I've written about McGill in the last week as well. I maintain you are more selective with your reading that I am with my writing.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Wow! I thought I only hit thethe's nerve and I check again this morning and I've hit rico's as well. I get it rico. You're coming up with something every day (and it's all good) and Tewell had a great week so he's a legitimate angle for mention and perhaps discussion. I just think he's a longshot.

My overall pessimism, if one can call it that, about the Braves' system was recently borne out by Baseball America's mid-season Top 100. Wood is probably on that list if he hadn't been promoted, but anyone who thinks everything is hunky dory down on the farm--especially as it relates to offensive talent--will have to convince me of that and I'm a notoriously hard sell. I think the pitching is looking good downstairs and I think the addition of Hursh, Salazar, and Grosser in this year's draft will bolster that status. And, first and foremost, having a ton of quality minor league pitching is absolutely crucial for long term success for a team in the Braves' budget strata.

Before the recitation of names like Bethancourt, LaStella, Salcedo, etc. proceeds, let me stress that every major league franchise has fungible players in the minor leagues and I see a lot of mid-ceiling guys in our system. Those guys are valuable and no team has 8 All-Stars roaming the diamond. Hence, they are needed. The problem I see for the Braves is that the top-end guys who are on the big league team, some of whom are recent grads from our minor league system, have to be retained for the team to remain competitive because there aren't guys coming up who can reasonably replace them. Sure, when Uggla comes off the books, there will be some money to go around to perhaps tie up Freeman and Heyward, but there is no one in our minor league system anywhere near the projected ability of those two. Add Justin Upton to the discussion as well. In the absence of retaining Heyward, Freeman, and Upton, the Braves will have to compete in the free agent market and that's a losing proposition (at least in the long-term) for a team with the budget level of the Braves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I hope you know I wasn't actually irked. I know I'm over the top homeristic when it comes to prospects for the Braves.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Wow! I thought I only hit thethe's nerve and I check again this morning and I've hit rico's as well. I get it rico. You're coming up with something every day (and it's all good) and Tewell had a great week so he's a legitimate angle for mention and perhaps discussion. I just think he's a longshot.

My overall pessimism, if one can call it that, about the Braves' system was recently borne out by Baseball America's mid-season Top 100. Wood is probably on that list if he hadn't been promoted, but anyone who thinks everything is hunky dory down on the farm--especially as it relates to offensive talent--will have to convince me of that and I'm a notoriously hard sell. I think the pitching is looking good downstairs and I think the addition of Hursh, Salazar, and Grosser in this year's draft will bolster that status. And, first and foremost, having a ton of quality minor league pitching is absolutely crucial for long term success for a team in the Braves' budget strata.

Before the recitation of names like Bethancourt, LaStella, Salcedo, etc. proceeds, let me stress that every major league franchise has fungible players in the minor leagues and I see a lot of mid-ceiling guys in our system. Those guys are valuable and no team has 8 All-Stars roaming the diamond. Hence, they are needed. The problem I see for the Braves is that the top-end guys who are on the big league team, some of whom are recent grads from our minor league system, have to be retained for the team to remain competitive because there aren't guys coming up who can reasonably replace them. Sure, when Uggla comes off the books, there will be some money to go around to perhaps tie up Freeman and Heyward, but there is no one in our minor league system anywhere near the projected ability of those two. Add Justin Upton to the discussion as well. In the absence of retaining Heyward, Freeman, and Upton, the Braves will have to compete in the free agent market and that's a losing proposition (at least in the long-term) for a team with the budget level of the Braves.
    I think that is the strategy though 50 is to pay everyday players and just recycle the pitching.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    My only point in response is that if that's the case, we need to have even more pitching down below. Case in point remains the D-Rays (sorry, I still call them the D-Rays). The only problem with the Justin Upton deal is that it appears we gave away one plus arm and one fungible arm in the deal and we can't continue to do that (Let me stress continue. I make the Upton deal every time.). We absolutely have to keep guys like Lucas Sims and draft and develop more guys like him.

I don't know who is irked and who isn't around here.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-30-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    My only point in response is that if that's the case, we need to have even more pitching down below. Case in point remains the D-Rays (sorry, I still call them the D-Rays). The only problem with the Justin Upton deal is that it appears we gave away one plus arm and one fungible arm in the deal and we can't continue to do that (Let me stress continue. I make the Upton deal every time.). We absolutely have to keep guys like Lucas Sims and draft and develop more guys like him.

I don't know who is irked and who isn't around here.
    While the guys in the upper minors won't be even middle of the rotation starters we do have a collection of guys that can serve as back end guys till the arms in the lower minors are ready. Even excluding guys like Wood and Graham (hope he can come back) the Braves have Martin/Gilmartin/Schlosser/Northcraft/Hale. Now sure, these guys aren't anything to get overly excited about aside from Martin maybe but these are guys that can be cheap number five starters while the Sims/Cabreras/Hurshs of the world get some experience.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Peraza is the one position prospect who I am comfortable projecting as an above average starting position player for a contending club. He'll probably be moved to center, second or third if we hold on to Simmons. The others are bench types. If we get lucky one will blossom unexpectedly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I don't think its fair to project CB as a bench type player. I think he will be at 10 year starting catcher for somebody.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I don't think its fair to project CB as a bench type player. I think he will be at 10 year starting catcher for somebody.

I dunno. Even with his recent hot streak, he's got an OPS of .309. Maybe I was being a bit pessimistic in saying bench player for him. But I don't think he'll be an above average regular. Probably the most reasonable projection for him is to someday be a starter but be in the bottom half of starting players for his position. Peraza projects in the top half imo.

With the Braves, Bethancourt projects as a backup to Gattis or McCann if we re-sign him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    CB has late bloomer written all over him. He is still only 21 and in AA.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    While the guys in the upper minors won't be even middle of the rotation starters we do have a collection of guys that can serve as back end guys till the arms in the lower minors are ready. Even excluding guys like Wood and Graham (hope he can come back) the Braves have Martin/Gilmartin/Schlosser/Northcraft/Hale. Now sure, these guys aren't anything to get overly excited about aside from Martin maybe but these are guys that can be cheap number five starters while the Sims/Cabreras/Hurshs of the world get some experience.
    I agree. I guess the point I'm making is that the D-Rays have remained competitive (understatement) with a mix of top-end guys (both drafted and obtained through trades) and solid mid-rotation guys. I think they've become the model (much like the Braves were in the early-to-mid 1990s) for pitching development. I'm hoping Teheran takes the next step and becomes the top-of-the-rotation guy many envisioned when he was coming up and he and Minor become a stellar 1-2 and we can fill in behind them. It's certainly doable.

Bethancourt's value will likely be determined by who is surrounding him. I don't know how his bat projects. He could be similar to Simmons in that he'll probably be "average-driven" and have his hot streaks followed by "not" streaks. In the right situation--where no one depends on him for offense--he could stick around, as thethe says, for quite awhile. I could easily see him in the AL (or the NL if they adopt the DH) doing quite well.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 07-30-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    CB has late bloomer written all over him. He is still only 21 and in AA.
    He's a good prospect. But it is worth keeping in mind where he stands relative to other prospects out there. He's not on BA's Top 100 list for example. Maybe he cracks the bottom part of the next list if he continues to hit better. The low OBP is a significant negative. The power is improving but still not impressive.

There is always uncertainty about how good these young players end up being. But that should not mean we automatically assume the best (or worst for that matter) for all of them. To me Bethancourt's most realistic projection is a starter at the major league level but not in the top half at his position. That's a valuable type of prospect. Just not elite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    He's a good prospect. But it is worth keeping in mind where he stands relative to other prospects out there. He's not on BA's Top 100 list for example. Maybe he cracks the bottom part of the next list if he continues to hit better. The low OBP is a significant negative. The power is improving but still not impressive.

There is always uncertainty about how good these young players end up being. But that should not mean we automatically assume the best (or worst for that matter) for all of them. To me Bethancourt's most realistic projection is a starter at the major league level but not in the top half at his position. That's a valuable type of prospect. Just not elite.
    No, I wouldn't project CB to be elite either unless he continues to hit the rest of the season like he did in July. If you look at his season he has had one great month (July) one really good month (April) an average month (June) and a horrible month (May). He certainly could use a bit more of a walking tool but I think for a 21 year old in AA he has had a very good season. A catcher with his defensive ability does not need to hit like Mac to be in the top tier of catchers. Also, the scouting reports have always been strong about CB and the main thingt hat was always intriguing were the postiive reports from his BP. I know BP is just BP but it can give you an indication of untapped ability. He seems to be seeing the ball better now and the results have been great. While his power/OBP numbers have been low throughout his career his hit tool seems strong as he is always around 300. That power seems to be developing now. I don't think its a stretch to say that CB is now out best position prospect or at least second behind PEraza.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Our Top 4 position guys imo are Peraza, Bethancourt, Salcedo, Terdoslavich.

Peraza has a good chance of being an above average starter.

Bethancourt projects to start in the majors someday, but not in the top half of starters at his position

Salcedo projects either as a good bench player or fringe starter.

Terdoslavish also projects either as a good bench player/fringe starter.

The usual caveat applies: prospects will surprise, both to the upside and downside. But to me those are the most realistic projections for those four players.

After those four the most interesting position prospects are in rookie ball: the two Victors--Reyes and Caratini. At this point I wouldn't project them above the four I've listed, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they do in a full season league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    As I mention in today's homer piece, La Stella needs to be reckoned with very soon. I maintain he is a major league second baseman right now.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Our Top 4 position guys imo are Peraza, Bethancourt, Salcedo, Terdoslavich.

After those four the most interesting position prospects are in rookie ball: the two Victors--Reyes and Caratini. At this point I wouldn't project them above the four I've listed, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they do in a full season league.
    No LaStella? At this point, I like him better than any other the top-four you list, excepting maybe Peraza.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    No LaStella? At this point, I like him better than any other the top-four you list, excepting maybe Peraza.
    I'm not as high as La Stella as some others. I think he'll be a bench player and that's about it. Doesn't have power or speed or play a premium defensive position. Remember Jeff Treadway. Maybe he can be a Jeff Treadway. That's his upside.