Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

YOUR 1966 BRAVES: #44 HENRY AARON

#44 HANK AARON
    Outfield

What came before:
    For all of his accomplishments, it almost seemed as the city of Atlanta didn't realize what it was getting when the then-32-year-old arrived.

We'll sum it up this way: while in Milwaukee, he had two batting titles, two home run crowns, seven 100-RBI seasons (three times leading the league) and three 200-hit seasons. He'd won one MVP, one Sporting News Player of the Year and three Gold Gloves.

That 1966 season: Aaron's greatness found a new audience and the '66 season set the stage for his pursuit of Babe Ruth's record in earnest. He came to town with 398 homers, but the stadium that would eventually earn the nickname the Launching Pad was made to order for his line drives. Aaron matched his career best with 44 home runs, driving in 127 runs to lead the league in both categories. He also scored over 100 runs for the 13th straight season.

What came next: Aaron made Atlanta his oyster for the next decade, earning all-star honors every seasons. In 1971, to accommodate his legs and the team's need, he transitioned to first base for two seasons and handled it just fine. His race to Ruth was controversial in some areas, but many Braves fans were shocked to hear about the volume and tone of Aaron's hate mail as he neared 714. It was not lost on people that the two fans who joined Aaron on his record-setting jog around the bases were white.
    Brett Gaston and Cliff Courtenay were only 17 when they impulsively joined Aaron as he rounded second on the historic hit. Jumping onto the field along the first-base line, the teens caught up with a startled Aaron as he rounded second base, each giving him a quick pat before they peeled off and tried to make their getaway down the third-base line. They didn't get far -- Courtenay was caught by officers before he even got over the railing, while Gaston got about 10 rows up when he realized there was no escape. "They were at each end of the aisle, in force," Gaston recalled. "I just put my hands up and said, 'OK, let's go.'" They were bailed out of jail at about 3:30 a.m. by Gaston's father, and the charges were dropped when they appeared in court the next morning.
    They and Aaron reunited in 2010, the first he'd seen them since 1994 on the 20thh anniversary of the homer. "It's wonderful to see them," Aaron said. "I often get asked, 'Whatever happened to those two guys?' It's nice to see them once again and know they're doing fine, doing well.
    "The older you get, the more you think about it," Aaron said. "I'm just glad things worked out the way they did. It could have been a lot worse. They were having fun with it as kids. They didn't get beat up and all that. I think they spent two or three hours in jail. Other than that, it was a happy moment.”
    Aaron has worked for the Braves since his retirement, overseeing player development. He was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1982, getting 97.8 of the vote. Since 1989, he has been a senior vice president of the Braves.
    Hank Aaron owns Hank Aaron BMW in South Atlanta. Each car sold comes with an autographed baseball.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-25-2015), 57Brave (02-26-2015), AerchAngel (03-02-2015), buck75 (02-24-2015), goldfly (06-16-2015), Julio3000 (02-26-2015), The Chosen One (02-26-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    wow !!!!
    Yeah, Bonds hit HR's , yeah, Rose got hits yeah, Ichiro scored runs , yeah so and so had RBI's

Without a doubt to my mind the premier of the handful of 5 tool players from that era.
    Think about this. The mid Sixties NL for the All-Star game had a choice of Of's Aaron,Clemente, Mays,Frank Robinson, Lou Brock , Billy Williams , Willie Stargell etc etc etc
    The 66 All Star Game had for 1B converted OF's Felipe Alou and Willie McCovey
    1966 season Robinson was traded out of the league and replaced in the OF with Richie Allen- who changed positions from 3B to OF
    Looking at Aarons career is like looking at Wilt -- the number of records he collected is astounding. Just 100 runs a year from 1955-68 is breathtaking. Have to laugh because after the hic-up of 1968 he went on the next two tears and scored 100. Between 1955 and 1970 he scored under 100 runs only once !!! That number was 84 and Ivcan't remember the reason for fall off because he still played 160 games .

In thiss so- called , he walked 64 times and struck out 62.
    That was his down year. I am out of exclamation points
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...aronha01.shtml

Who didn't vote Aaron to the HOF ?
    Last edited by 57Brave; 02-26-2015 at 01:26 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (03-02-2015), buck75 (02-26-2015)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    wow !!!!
    Yeah, Bonds hit HR's , yeah, Rose got hits yeah, Ichiro scored runs , yeah so and so had RBI's

Without a doubt to my mind the premier of the handful of 5 tool players from that era.
    Think about this. The mid Sixties NL for the All-Star game had a choice of Of's Aaron,Clemente, Mays,Frank Robinson, Lou Brock , Billy Williams , Willie Stargell etc etc etc
    1966 season Robinson was traded out of the league and replaced in the OF with Richie Allen- who changed positions from 3B to OF
    Looking at Aarons career is like looking at Wilt -- the number of records he collected is astounding. Just 100 runs a year from 1955-68 is breathtaking. Have to laugh because after the hic-up of 1968 he went on the next two tears and scored 100. Between 1955 and 1970 he scored under 100 runs only once !!! That number was 84 and Ivcan't remember the reason for fall off because he still played 160 games .

This is definitely an understatement: Henry Aaron had an amazing, truly amazing baseball career.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buck75 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-28-2015), 57Brave (02-26-2015), Julio3000 (02-26-2015)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    wow !!!!

Out of respect, I will not pollute this thread with what I think and you would agree on my answer.