Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To Pimp a Butterfly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Instant classic? GTFOH

Most people that have listened to it haven't even liked it outside 2-3 songs.
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I don't know you from Adam. All I know is what I percieve and listening to you proclaim an album a classic after a few listens leads me to believe you went into listening to this album with the mindset of wanting it to be a classic. If this album was made by Joey Badass then I doubt you ever would have cared for it and that's all based off what you've said in this thread.
    Well then you're jumping to an awful lot of conclusions.
    If Joey Badass made an album like this I 100% would have listened just as much. I don't understand that point at all; I listen to everything he puts out.

I had no idea what to expect with this album. I wasn't a huge fan of "i" when it came out, and I'm still lukewarm on that song itself.

Yes, I do think Kendrick is the best out there right now. He is on a different level. Does that make me a "fanboy," or someone with an opinion? I don't know. Call it what you want. I think the album is great, and I thoroughly enjoy it. You're borderline saying I DON'T actually like it, which is really dumb.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    Instant classic? GTFOH

Most people that have listened to it haven't even liked it outside 2-3 songs.
    I think that's very common, especially for a kendrick album. Which is why I listen more than a couple times, and straight through.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Well then you're jumping to an awful lot of conclusions.
    If Joey Badass made an album like this I 100% would have listened just as much. I don't understand that point at all; I listen to everything he puts out.

I had no idea what to expect with this album. I wasn't a huge fan of "i" when it came out, and I'm still lukewarm on that song itself.

Yes, I do think Kendrick is the best out there right now. He is on a different level. Does that make me a "fanboy," or someone with an opinion? I don't know. Call it what you want. I think the album is great, and I thoroughly enjoy it. You're borderline saying I DON'T actually like it, which is really dumb.
    Joey was a simple placeholder. Insert someone else that you aren't a fanboy of.

You are entitled to your opinion and of course I'm jumping to multiple conclusions, but I don't find your opinion to be all that objective when you are calling THIS album of all albums an instant classic. This is the type of album that isn't meant to be an instant classic. It takes too long to digest to proclaim that after four days.

I know that sounds petty, but if you were to have posted this a couple weeks later I would have given you more credibility.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    BTW is there such a thing as an instant classic? Isn't the idea of a classic is something that has a profound cultural impact (which isn't often felt for quite a few years) or something that holds up years later.

For example IMO a classic album would be like Dark Side of the Moon, or if you want to come newer, Nevermind. Albums that people talk about for decades. Can you spot such an album when it comes out? Sometimes yes. I think Nevermind cemented it's place pretty quick but I dont 'think it was a classic in under a month or 2.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Joey was a simple placeholder. Insert someone else that you aren't a fanboy of.

You are entitled to your opinion and of course I'm jumping to multiple conclusions, but I don't find your opinion to be all that objective when you are calling THIS album of all albums an instant classic. This is the type of album that isn't meant to be an instant classic. It takes too long to digest to proclaim that after four days.

I know that sounds petty, but if you were to have posted this a couple weeks later I would have given you more credibility.
    But your point with JB holds no ground, because there are a number of artists that would've been given the same number of listens. If it were someone random? Sure, I probably don't persevere and listen as much. If it's someone established, especially if it's Kendrick, I have faith that the album is good, even if I don't get that the first or second time around. I think after 15+ listens, my opinion is well-grounded. I never felt as strongly about GKMC as I do about this album, though section.80 is one of my favorite albums.

If I declared every album by kendrick a classic, you'd have more of a point. As it stands, this is, so far, my favorite of his.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    BTW is there such a thing as an instant classic? Isn't the idea of a classic is something that has a profound cultural impact (which isn't often felt for quite a few years) or something that holds up years later.

For example IMO a classic album would be like Dark Side of the Moon, or if you want to come newer, Nevermind. Albums that people talk about for decades. Can you spot such an album when it comes out? Sometimes yes. I think Nevermind cemented it's place pretty quick but I dont 'think it was a classic in under a month or 2.
    That's a fair question, and is likely subjective. I believe this album is going to have strong cultural impact, and not just in music. It's a strong album in every facet, as far as I'm concerned.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts

+1

the greatest hip hop album (in my opinion) is Illmatic. The reason for that is because it doesn't have any skips. It's influenced so many artists in the years that have followed. It also transcends era. Even listening to it now it doesn't feel like it's aged all that much.

Maybe I'm being too snobby and elitist with my definition of what a classic is, but there's no way Butterfly has reached that status after four days when only 7 people have listened to it from start to finish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Maybe I'm being too snobby and elitist with my definition of what a classic is, but there's no way Butterfly has reached that status after four days when only 7 people have listened to it from start to finish.
    No, definitely.
    You're hammering on me calling it an instant classic instead of talking about the actual album. I didn't mean to upset you so much.
    Fine, you don't think it can be called a classic (yet). It's the best hip-hop album I've heard in a long time. I don't just say that for every new album.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    No, definitely.
    You're hammering on me calling it an instant classic instead of talking about the actual album. I didn't mean to upset you so much.
    Fine, you don't think it can be called a classic (yet). It's the best hip-hop album I've heard in a long time. I don't just say that for every new album.
    Give me 2-3 weeks and after I have had time to digest it then I'll give you my review.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    If it's someone established, especially if it's Kendrick, I have faith that the album is good, even if I don't get that the first or second time around.
    There's a danger to this. Every artist has only a certain amount of creativity to keep putting out fresh quality work. Let me pick on a few bands.

U2. U2 was arguably the best band of 80s. Starting out solid with Boy and October before kickign it up with War, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum. They opened up the 90s strong with Achtung Baby, then ****. Zooropa was pure **** but it was a sign of the **** to come.

Metallica. Metallica was arguably the biggest thrash band of the 80s, with still classics, Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightening, Master of Puppets, and ...and Justice for All. They opened up the 90s with their self titled album. One considered their best by many mainsteamers but was a clear directional change from the band. Then can the ****. Load, Reload, St. Anger and the very eh. Death Magnetic.

Every artist has a creative peak. Sometimes you have time swhere to pick on a band, you have several song writers adn they can extend that peak. Beatles were a great example of that. They weren't just McCartney or Lennon, or even just the 2 of them as Harrison was a frequent contributor. Pearl jam started out with most music composted by Stone Gossard. On Ten Gossard had a song writing credit on every song but Jeremy and Why Go. Ament was the next biggest composer. ANd it's not really shocking they dominated early on as they were best friends for years, and Eddie and Mike were more outsiders just getting into things. Vs. still primarily composed by Gossard, included the first Vedder songs (Rearview Mirror, Elderly Woman) and McCready gettign more involved with Gossard (Leash, Dissident, Glorified G) Vitalogy saw more Vedder. No Code more Vedder, but then things take a left turn at Yield, Yield includes songs where others wrote the lyrics. Pre-Yield all Lyrics were Vedders, then after that they changed.

Hiphop may have an advantage that bands don't have in that hteir albums are usually handled by a variety of producers who drastically effect the sound. But eventually you will run out of creative things to write about. It's bound to happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    There's a danger to this. Every artist has only a certain amount of creativity to keep putting out fresh quality work. Let me pick on a few bands.

U2. U2 was arguably the best band of 80s. Starting out solid with Boy and October before kickign it up with War, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum. They opened up the 90s strong with Achtung Baby, then ****. Zooropa was pure **** but it was a sign of the **** to come.

Metallica. Metallica was arguably the biggest thrash band of the 80s, with still classics, Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightening, Master of Puppets, and ...and Justice for All. They opened up the 90s with their self titled album. One considered their best by many mainsteamers but was a clear directional change from the band. Then can the ****. Load, Reload, St. Anger and the very eh. Death Magnetic.

Every artist has a creative peak. Sometimes you have time swhere to pick on a band, you have several song writers adn they can extend that peak. Beatles were a great example of that. They weren't just McCartney or Lennon, or even just the 2 of them as Harrison was a frequent contributor. Pearl jam started out with most music composted by Stone Gossard. On Ten Gossard had a song writing credit on every song but Jeremy and Why Go. Ament was the next biggest composer. ANd it's not really shocking they dominated early on as they were best friends for years, and Eddie and Mike were more outsiders just getting into things. Vs. still primarily composed by Gossard, included the first Vedder songs (Rearview Mirror, Elderly Woman) and McCready gettign more involved with Gossard (Leash, Dissident, Glorified G) Vitalogy saw more Vedder. No Code more Vedder, but then things take a left turn at Yield, Yield includes songs where others wrote the lyrics. Pre-Yield all Lyrics were Vedders, then after that they changed.

Hiphop may have an advantage that bands don't have in that hteir albums are usually handled by a variety of producers who drastically effect the sound. But eventually you will run out of creative things to write about. It's bound to happen.
    I'm not reading that whole wall of word vomit, and I know nothing about those bands.
    What I said was in response to something else. I didn't say every album of Kendrick's is automatically good. The point was I will listen to all of his albums thoroughly even if it isn't exactly easy at first, because I trust in where he's going with his music. That's just me. I'm not arguing about it with you.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    +1

the greatest hip hop album (in my opinion) is Illmatic. The reason for that is because it doesn't have any skips. It's influenced so many artists in the years that have followed. It also transcends era. Even listening to it now it doesn't feel like it's aged all that much.

Illmatic over Licensed to Ill?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Illmatic over Licensed to Ill?
    Yeah. I like Paul's Botique more than Licensed as well.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

zitothebrave (03-20-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Yeah. I like Paul's Botique more than Licensed as well.
    Paul's Boutique is so ****ing good.

Personally I'd think Paid in Full or Enter the Wu-Tang or the Chronic would be over illmatic, but I certainly can see the case for Illmatic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    http://genius.com/discussions/144773...mp-a-butterfly

gave it a 10/10.
    he's a pretty in-depth reviewer. he gave GKMC a 9/10.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts

dope

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    i have given it a few spins

kind of middle of the road on it thus far

favorite line is this:

Everybody want to talk about who this and who that
    Who the realest and who wack, who white or who black
    Critics want to mention that they miss when hip hop was rappin’
    Motherfu.cker if you did, then Killer Mike'd be platinum
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    i have given it a few spins

kind of middle of the road on it thus far

favorite line is this:
    love that line, too.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Speaking of killer mike

Will be at the "run the jewels" show in Athens next Saturday
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"