Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To Pimp a Butterfly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts

To Pimp a Butterfly

Any one listen to it yet?
    His two most recent albums, this one and GKMC, have taken at least a few listens for me to really start to get in to. But once you do, oh man. TPaB is a masterpiece, instant classic album. He continues to evolve his style, and he goes in so. damn. much. on this album. And the production is just awesome, so different than what anyone else is doing right now.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Imma let you finish. But Beyonce's album is better.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (03-19-2015), NinersSBChamps (03-19-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Imma let you finish. But Beyonce's album is better.
    typical.
    funny you like to talk about hip-hop but won't take the time to listen to and form and an opinion on a defining artist of the genre.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Any one listen to it yet?
    His two most recent albums, this one and GKMC, have taken at least a few listens for me to really start to get in to. But once you do, oh man. TPaB is a masterpiece, instant classic album. He continues to evolve his style, and he goes in so. damn. much. on this album. And the production is just awesome, so different than what anyone else is doing right now.
    I can't choose to believe that you have a fully formed opinion on this album yet. I bought it when it came out and I can't force myself to sit through it even once.

I certainly don't buy anybody calling it an instant classic when it's only been out 5 days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I can't choose to believe that you have a fully formed opinion on this album yet. I bought it when it came out and I can't force myself to sit through it even once.

I certainly don't buy anybody calling it an instant classic when it's only been out 5 days.
    I've listened to it at least 15 times.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    I've listened to it at least 15 times.
    I'll post my actual thoughts in a couple of weeks when I'm able to trudge through the slog of that album.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I'll post my actual thoughts in a couple of weeks when I'm able to trudge through the slog of that album.
    I just don't see it that way. You could say the same thing about GKMC. Which is also a great album.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    I just don't see it that way. You could say the same thing about GKMC. Which is also a great album.
    good kid was way different. I love that album and I was hooked on it in a couple of listens. I also have listened to my fair share of underground hip hop that is traditionally dense, but this album is a different beast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    good kid was way different. I love that album and I was hooked on it in a couple of listens. I also have listened to my fair share of underground hip hop that is traditionally dense, but this album is a different beast.
    It's certainly more dense than GKMC, and there aren't any songs to really break it up like you had with swimming pools, poetic justice, etc. But it still had its share of "slog" to "trudge" through.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    It's certainly more dense than GKMC, and there aren't any songs to really break it up like you had with swimming pools, poetic justice, etc. But it still had its share of "slog" to "trudge" through.
    Those two albums aren't even stylistically similar. Butterfly sounds like a Tribe Called Quest album on LSD whereas good kid had almost no Jazz influence in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Those two albums aren't even stylistically similar. Butterfly sounds like a Tribe Called Quest album on LSD whereas good kid had almost no Jazz influence in it.
    I wasn't comparing their styles.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Yeezus's respsonse

Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    I wasn't comparing their styles.
    No you are comparing the two for no reason at all.

I don't doubt that Butterfly could be good, but I'm thinking you really had to punish yourself to force yourself through the first couple of listens. If that album was released by someone not named Kendrick Lamar I don't think you would have had quite the same patience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Yeezus's respsonse

That's not at all what I said.
    The two albums are not even close in style. Anyone who listens to two seconds of them will realize that, hence why I never made that point.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts

I don't doubt that Butterfly could be good, but I'm thinking you really had to punish yourself to force yourself through the first couple of listens. If that album was released by someone not named Kendrick Lamar I don't think you would have had quite the same patience.
    And to be fair, the only reason I'm going to give it a few more listens is because it's Kendrick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts

No, I'm comparing the two for the amount of "extra" stuff on them that one must get through outside of strictly music. Butterfly has more; GKMC definitely has its share.

You're probably right about the bolded part, but uh, so what? Yes, I give Kendrick the benefit of the doubt because of what he's done already. Is that supposed to be a knock?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    No, I'm comparing the two for the amount of "extra" stuff on them that one must get through outside of strictly music. Butterfly has more; GKMC definitely has its share.

You're probably right about the bolded part, but uh, so what? Yes, I give Kendrick the benefit of the doubt because of what he's done already. Is that supposed to be a knock?
    It's not a knock. Although I do identify you as a fan boy because it seems you wouldn't have ever liked this album if it was made by someone else. You also seem to come across this same way with Kanye.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    It's not a knock. Although I do identify you as a fan boy because it seems you wouldn't have ever liked this album if it was made by someone else. You also seem to come across this same way with Kanye.
    Except I don't like every Kanye album. I think Yeezus is 60% garbage.
    And I think Butterfly is better than GKMC, if only because I like the production a lot more.
    So your opinion is that anyone who likes this album MUST be a kendrick fan boy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Like I said, I think Kendrick is great. He hasn't put out an album I haven't liked. I gave him the benefit of the doubt after my first 1-3 listens of this album, because it's Kendrick. The same exact thing you just said you would do. I'm a fan boy because it, though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Except I don't like every Kanye album. I think Yeezus is 60% garbage.
    And I think Butterfly is better than GKMC, if only because I like the production a lot more.
    So your opinion is that anyone who likes this album MUST be a kendrick fan boy?
    I don't know you from Adam. All I know is what I percieve and listening to you proclaim an album a classic after a few listens leads me to believe you went into listening to this album with the mindset of wanting it to be a classic. If this album was made by Joey Badass then I doubt you ever would have cared for it and that's all based off what you've said in this thread.