Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are libertarians not more pumped about Rand Paul?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts

Why are libertarians not more pumped about Rand Paul?

I guess he's not literally stating exactly the libertarian philosophy, but this is about as close as the libertarians will get to an actual chance to win an election. Look you have to think that maybe Paul is just trying to win an election and when elected he'll do the best of his ability to get some libertarian things through. I think that's an amazing risk for the libertarians to take. If you're wrong then it's just the same old same old.

I feel like this is a perfect example of the ultimate detriment to the libertarian party. They get a guy in there that best suits their interest with an actual chance to win, but in the end they aren't willing to vote for him, because he's not exactly what they want. In the end they will just stand on the side lines telling all of us why they are right and we are all wrong.
    thank you weso1!

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I guess he's not literally stating exactly the libertarian philosophy, but this is about as close as the libertarians will get to an actual chance to win an election. Look you have to think that maybe Paul is just trying to win an election and when elected he'll do the best of his ability to get some libertarian things through. I think that's an amazing risk for the libertarians to take. If you're wrong then it's just the same old same old.

I feel like this is a perfect example of the ultimate detriment to the libertarian party. They get a guy in there that best suits their interest with an actual chance to win, but in the end they aren't willing to vote for him, because he's not exactly what they want. In the end they will just stand on the side lines telling all of us why they are right and we are all wrong.
    Because he's about as much of a real Libertarian as I am for $100 Alex?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Because he's about as much of a real Libertarian as I am for $100 Alex?
    I disagree with you Hawk. And I know that's not a shock to you. I think he's a libertarian at heart, but I think he knows what it takes to get elected. I'll put it this way. This is the closest the libertarians will ever have to getting elected.
    thank you weso1!

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I disagree with you Hawk. And I know that's not a shock to you. I think he's a libertarian at heart, but I think he knows what it takes to get elected. I'll put it this way. This is the closest the libertarians will ever have to getting elected.
    He may have been a Libertarian at some point in his life, but I think that ship sailed a long time ago. I think he is a true politician, someone who tries to be whatever he needs to be depending on present company. I actually like his dad, though I don't agree with him on politics very much. I think he's a decent guy at heart.

Oh and it's OK to disagree isn't it? We don't insult each other do we? Agreeing or disagreeing is nothing to feel bad about for either of us, at least not in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    He may have been a Libertarian at some point in his life, but I think that ship sailed a long time ago. I think he is a true politician, someone who tries to be whatever he needs to be depending on present company. I actually like his dad, though I don't agree with him on politics very much. I think he's a decent guy at heart.

Oh and it's OK to disagree isn't it? We don't insult each other do we? Agreeing or disagreeing is nothing to feel bad about for either of us, at least not in my opinion.
    I think sometimes we do insult each other, and for that I apologize to my debating friends on this board. But with that in mind I always enjoy the opposing opinion. Now with that in mind I still disagree with OHawk as I actually believe that Paul is a born and bread libertarian with a mindset on what it takes to get elected. Now, will he choose libertarianism over politician? I think that's a risk libertarians should take.
    thank you weso1!

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I think sometimes we do insult each other, and for that I apologize to my debating friends on this board. But with that in mind I always enjoy the opposing opinion. Now with that in mind I still disagree with OHawk as I actually believe that Paul is a born and bread libertarian with a mindset on what it takes to get elected. Now, will he choose libertarianism over politician? I think that's a risk libertarians should take.
    Right back at you!!!

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    He is but there is a few things he needs to let go to actually have a chance and that is what going to doom him.

Of all the candidates, I would vote for him. But he has some issues that scares me.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Because he's gone very far to the neocon side - especially when it comes to foreign policy. And he frankly isn't nearly as smart on the economics side of things as his father was. He also just seems so much less principled and will go which ever the wind takes him.

If he runs, I'll be conflicted because I have a sliver of hope that he is "playing the game"... but I'd have a hard time voting for him over someone like Gary Johnson.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

zitothebrave (03-23-2015)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Because he's gone very far to the neocon side - especially when it comes to foreign policy. And he frankly isn't nearly as smart on the economics side of things as his father was. He also just seems so much less principled and will go which ever the wind takes him.

If he runs, I'll be conflicted because I have a sliver of hope that he is "playing the game"... but I'd have a hard time voting for him over someone like Gary Johnson.
    Baby steps. Break a few eggs to make a omelet.

Think about it.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    911 Posts
    I'm registered as a republican so I can vote for him in the primary. I hope he wins the nomination, then I'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Other than him, I'm not seeing much to like on the rep team.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

You shouldn't. He may be "playing the game" but I'm pretty sure he's like most politicians, in it for the money. He won't get the rep nod anyway. It will be another Romney type. It's been a Romney type for most of the R nominations. Only kind of exception to that was Dubya, but he still wasn't that far out to the right running.

Huckabee and Paul will generate interest and be in it until the end, but they won't win.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts
    Because **** the republican party. I hope they lose every election until they are non existent. They were handed a golden goose the last presidential election and they chose to run a loser with no chance to win. I dont even think they wanted to win. Theres always the hope he is just playing the game to get elected but after seeing them move heaven and earth to keep the nomination away from Ron I thinkthey would just assassinate Rand if he tried to end the insanity that is our current foreign policy.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Is Rand Paul really considered electable? That seems strange to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts
    Romney was considered "electable", so the word is really meaningless.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Because **** the republican party. I hope they lose every election until they are non existent. They were handed a golden goose the last presidential election and they chose to run a loser with no chance to win. I dont even think they wanted to win. Theres always the hope he is just playing the game to get elected but after seeing them move heaven and earth to keep the nomination away from Ron I thinkthey would just assassinate Rand if he tried to end the insanity that is our current foreign policy.
    I agree that if the Republicans had really rallied behind (Ron) Paul a few years ago he stood a decent chance of becoming a legitimate candidate. He had some powerful, revolutionary ideas.

But .... do you have any idea what Rand Paul's foreign policy actually is? He's toed the party line on virtually every major issue that has confronted the country in the past year. Iran, Syria, Russia, etc.

Unless you are one of those that are buying into the wolf in sheep's clothing thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Romney was considered "electable", so the word is really meaningless.
    He was more electable than say Rick Perry -Rick Santorum - Michelle Bachmann - Ron Paul -
    Howard Cane - Donald Trump
    See what I mean?

Not only is (R) bereft of electable candidates they are non existent with electable ideas. Sure a handfull on a baseball message board will agree with the Paul's but outside of that-- not so much. For instance, after Hurricane Sandy does any one with a working knowledge of current events think Ron Paul would have stood a chance with a platform of deal with it on your own ?

Remember in the past two election cycles (D) has outdrawn (R) for vote. Yet (R) secured the two houses of the legislature. Don't let the mirage of ReDistricting cloud your political vision.

(R) doesn't stand for anything people outside of Dumbphuckistan will vote for. Romney came as close to the mainstream and for lords sake, Jeb seems to this cycle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    He was more electable than say Rick Perry -Rick Santorum - Michelle Bachmann - Ron Paul -
    Howard Cane - Donald Trump
    See what I mean?

Not only is (R) bereft of electable candidates they are non existent with electable ideas. Sure a handfull on a baseball message board will agree with the Paul's but outside of that-- not so much. For instance, after Hurricane Sandy does any one with a working knowledge of current events think Ron Paul would have stood a chance with a platform of deal with it on your own ?

Remember in the past two election cycles (D) has outdrawn (R) for vote. Yet (R) secured the two houses of the legislature. Don't let the mirage of ReDistricting cloud your political vision.

(R) doesn't stand for anything people outside of Dumbphuckistan will vote for. Romney came as close to the mainstream and for lords sake, Jeb seems to this cycle
    57 - just curious?

Do you think that the US eventually winding down the debt is important? If yes, do you think the democrats (or republicans for that matter), are the people to do it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I don't give either any thought.

We will always have debt - levels depending on circumstances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    I don't give either any thought.

We will always have debt - levels depending on circumstances.
    So I imagine you don't think it's important at all, then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    No never said it isn't important ,

I think it very complicated and don't have the time to understand it to a degree where I feel comfortable having/discussing an opinion
    Last edited by 57Brave; 03-24-2015 at 01:16 PM.