Thread: Comic Character Thread

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts

Comic Character Thread

Not necessarily dedicated to Comic Books, but to the comics, to the shows based on them the movies based on them.

I watched the newer X-Men movies recently. And a few things stuck out to me.

First I'm really glad sentinels came into play. They're classic. Total classic. Wish there was more.

Second, I don't like the need to constantly have Magneto. I mean I get it he's important. But I wish they focused on more key X-Men, and have more villains. Mr. Sinister, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Mastermind, Arcade, and many more.

Also, no Gambit, damn.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Second topic. How can a movie trilogy seemingly start so strong but end so bad.

OK so kind of a bad example because X-Men has branched way off the trilogy part, but the first 2 X-Men movies were great to very good. The first being exceptional, the second being very good. The third though was utter dog ****.

I'll address my primary concerns with stupid stuff it did. First, Dark Phoenix. changing it from an all consuming force, to Jean's alter ego. Very weak. They could have written a whole movie with Dark Phoenix as the adversary, Instead lets take a mutant cure storyline, inject dark phoenix in it. INstead of having Jean kill herself in a brave heroic stand against the evilness of the dark phoenix, lets have Wolverine do it so he can cry some more.

Here's the thing to think about, X3 was so ****ing terrible, DoFP erased the entire storyline. That's how damned dumb it was.

Second issue, Juggernaut, transforming him from Charles's step brother who got his power from a crystal, to a mutant with no backstory. Pretty weak.

ANyway that's gonna wrap up my overall X-Men rant for a bit.

Onto Spiderman. Best thing to happen to the Spiderman movies was agreeing to partner with Marvel and re-cast spiderman. Hipster spiderman didn't fit Peter Parker at all. I think there's other means you can do to be a different Peter Parker that's not per se a nerd, but that wasn't a good one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    The next x-men movie is going to be absolutely epic. Its been long overdue to bring apocalypse into the forefront.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I agree. Apocalypse is an awesome Villain. I assume as well, Cable and Bishop will be involved as their time travelling was key to fighting Apocalypse. Also the Phoenix Force was key but I think they showed how poorly they handled that one in X3, I think they should just leave that out.