Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone visit batting cages?

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts

Anyone visit batting cages?

We have one in town, 2 bucks for 20 pitches, you dictate the speed.

Being macho and such the highest speeds are 80 which I put it at.

Since I was a switch hitter, I did ten on each side.

I actually got few solid hits left handed to the left side 7/10 (late, but at 47 years old what do you expect) right handed, I was BJ Upton, on 3 contacts and I am naturally a right handed hitter but with more power.

I might call Julio Franco and see if I can get an invite.

But man at 80, the ball gets on you really fast, I can't imagine what 100 is like.

Going to do this more in the future, cheap an fun and see if I can get better. They said they get a lot of high school and colleague players and it is booked up for hours.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (03-29-2015), NinersSBChamps (03-30-2015), UNCBlue012 (03-30-2015), weso1 (03-29-2015)

Spring Training Invitee Chipper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Where I live, we didn't play baseball growing up, it was fast pitch softball, yes, men's fast pitch. In my teens and first half of my 20's, I played on a couple teams. Never was really good, I liked to pitch, but never put the effort into it to get good enough to take starts away from better guys. Anyway, back to what I was going to say, there was a pitcher, most said he was the best in the country, who threw, at 46 feet away, 80+ mph. He actually skipped forward as he threw the pitch, making the distance from the plate at the time of release close to 40 feet. I faced him twice in a game once and I had some "really good cuts" lol. The ball was in the catcher's glove when I started my swing. I had fun though.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chipper For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (03-29-2015)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Yes, and love it! Probably why I haven't golfed since about 2000. The batting cages give me greater pleasure, and is equivalent of a full workout, if at 100 pitches. Mine is literally around the corner.

The ownership had changed hands a couple of times, and it was inactive for well over a year, until it went on auction, spring before last. So, it was great to have it back. My favorite story was from the previous ownership. This place also has a go-cart track, mini golf, games inside and hosts parties for kids during the warm months.

Anyway, this one incident took place, maybe 5-7 years ago, don't remember exactly. It was on a Friday afternoon. Had already been out a few times, so my timing was down. Something felt different this time though. Balls were whizzing by, quite a bit faster than normal. As any experienced hitters know, only whiffing gets frustrating very quickly, even if it's just fouling off. It almost felt like time to pack it in for the afternoon. Instead, I said to myself, "don't be a puss." That did it. Got my timing down, and started to connect. When the ball jumps off the sweet spot, it's as satisfying as the whiffing is frustrating.

The staff told me later that they'd been messing around with the adjustments. They'd put the radar gun on and it was set to 90! The one mechanic told me that only me and one other guy were able to make contact. Then, he told me about this one guy, who was trying to impress his gf, but ended up just swinging at air. I would have loved to have seen it! Remember, even with an aluminum bat, it's still 90 mph.

Other times, I pay attention to what kids do or other fairly seasoned hitters do and notice things. Tend not offer suggestions, and only occasionally offer tips. One time, it sort of bothered me what was happening. Probably everybody here is familiar with the overindulgent parents these days. A father had brought his son. This man stood directly behind the cage and continued coaching through the whole run of pitches. What he apparently did not understand is that it's extremely distracting, there's little time between pitches and recovery time is required after facing 20 pitches. If you want to coach your son, wait until he's resting. Felt like saying, "you get in there and try it, you fat f**k" but took the higher ground.

Yes, again, love it. Great part of summer. Still very cold here and don't expect them to open until at least late April, if not later. Much of their business improves after school kids get on summer recess.
    Last edited by Knucksie; 03-29-2015 at 06:36 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (03-29-2015), Hawk (03-29-2015), weso1 (03-29-2015)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I haven't in a year. I used to really like going. The one we went to you didn't hit right handed as it had a rep of becoming a head hunter if you hit a comebacker.

80 MPH from a machine with no indicator is really tough. If you get one you can time it's not too bad (not easy of course but it's more doable)

Where are you at Knucksie that it's still cold? I mean I'm in the shire in New Hampshire where humans aren't supposed to live. So that's my excuse.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    I go a few times in the summer.. .I generally put it on 90 - I played some college ball so can still catch up to - but not like I used to. I'm only 25, though... so I should still be able to hit better than I do

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Never really been a fan of it. I hate the predictive nature of it. Teaches you to hit that one pitch very well.

I can say that I think any decent athlete can hit a 90 mph fastball if its predictable. It just a matter of timing. I had fairly average bat speed and could hit a 90 mph fastball if it was down. I got some pretty good rips off Cuddyer. However, anytime he threw a hook I looked like Uggla when he would duck under a hanging curve down the middle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Yes, and love it! Probably why I haven't golfed since about 2000. The batting cages give me greater pleasure, and is a equivalent of a full workout, if at 100 pitches. Mine is literally around the corner.

The ownership had changed hands a couple of times, and it was inactive for well over a year, until a went on auction, spring before last. So, it was great to have it back. My favorite story was from the previous ownership. This place also has a go-cart track, mini golf, games inside and host parties for kids during the warm months.

Anyway, this one incident took place, maybe 5-7 years ago, don't remember exactly. It was on a Friday afternoon. Had already been out a few times, so my timing was down. Something felt different this time though. Balls were whizzing by, quite a bit faster than normal. As any experienced hitters know, only whiffing gets frustrating very quickly, even if it's just fouling off. It almost felt like time to pack it in for the afternoon. Instead, I said to myself, "don't be a puss." That did it. Got my timing down, and started to connect. When the ball jumps off the sweet spot, it's as satisfying as the whiffing is frustrating.

The staff told me later that they'd been messing around with the adjustments. They'd put the radar gun on and it was set to 90! The one mechanic told me that only me and one other guy were able to make contact. Then, he told me about this one guy, who was trying to impress his gf, but ended up just swining at air. I would have loved to have seen it! Remember, even with an aluminum bat, it's still 90 mph.

Other times, I pay attention to what kids do or other fairly seasoned hitters do and notice things. Tend not offer suggestions, and only occasionally offer tips. One time, it sort of bothered me what was happening. Probably everybody here is familiar with the overindulgent parents these days. A father had brought his son. This man stoood behind the cage and continued coaching through the whole run of pitches. What he apparently did not understand is that it's extremely distracting, there's little time between pitches and recovery time is required after facing 20 pitches. If you want to coach your son, wait until he's resting. Felt like saying, "you get in there and try it, you fat f**k" but took the higher ground.

Yes, again, love it. Great part of summer. Still very cold here and don't expect them to open until at least late April, if not later. Much of their business improves after school kids get on summer recess.
    Okay, this is weird, do you live in Eau Claire? Because what you describe is what we have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Never really been a fan of it. I hate the predictive nature of it. Teaches you to hit that one pitch very well.

I can say that I think any decent athlete can hit a 90 mph fastball if its predictable. It just a matter of timing. I had fairly average bat speed and could hit a 90 mph fastball if it was down. I got some pretty good rips off Cuddyer. However, anytime he threw a hook I looked like Uggla when he would duck under a hanging curve down the middle.
    That reminds me of a story my friend told me about making the jump from high school to college ball. He walked onto a good team for a try out and was rejected because he kept diving out of the box on right handed breakballs or left handed inside pitches. He was a good high school player, 2 year varsity player but not a star of the team. Could have probably played at a lower level school, but he talked about how essentially he crapped his pants on hard breaking pitches. Like Pedro Cerrano without all that power shenanigans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post

The balls do NOT fly by at the same plane. That would be too easy for me to crush. I seen stuff belt high, chest high and then on the knees.

That machine made me look like Dan Uggla without the medicine on the right side.

On the left, ha ha, at 47 years old I own that bitch going to left field with regularity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I haven't in a year. I used to really like going. The one we went to you didn't hit right handed as it had a rep of becoming a head hunter if you hit a comebacker.

80 MPH from a machine with no indicator is really tough. If you get one you can time it's not too bad (not easy of course but it's more doable)

Where are you at Knucksie that it's still cold? I mean I'm in the shire in New Hampshire where humans aren't supposed to live. So that's my excuse.
    It is still cold here in Wisconsin. We had snow a few times last week, it has melted but you just don't know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Had a friend in high school who had a batting cage in his back yard. Used to hit there all the time. Didn't have a machine, but we just threw to each other.

I don't go anymore, but if I had one in my backyard I'd do it everyday.

Hitting and pitching, at least to me, are the two funnest things to do in any sport.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    It is still cold here in Wisconsin. We had snow a few times last week, it has melted but you just don't know.
    Still have snow on the ground up here. Didn't get much snow the last time, but it's still freaking cold up here. Except maybe Friday, the 10 day looks good for Maple weather. Only Thursday/ Friday is it not supposed to get below freezing, but it shouldn't start the budding process yet. All the Maple folk up here are concerned because of how late in the season it is. They expect bears to come out of hibernation and screw up their lines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I don't understand why I can see better from the left side but I am a right handed hitter but I remember my coaches said your weak hand you have better bat control and I think they are right.

In softball I can hit homers from both sides and it is why they always walk me intentionally, it doesn't matter but baseball I NEVER hit a homer left handed, all on the right side, but my average on the left is like 100 pts higher.

Baseball is a great game, the best in coordination unlike the other sports. You have to have SOME physical tools, but brain, EYES and smarts plays a part in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Still have snow on the ground up here. Didn't get much snow the last time, but it's still freaking cold up here. Except maybe Friday, the 10 day looks good for Maple weather. Only Thursday/ Friday is it not supposed to get below freezing, but it shouldn't start the budding process yet. All the Maple folk up here are concerned because of how late in the season it is. They expect bears to come out of hibernation and screw up their lines.
    You get that normal cold, we get that bitter cold with wind.

Wind is what we hate, can't grill with wind.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Haven't been in a batting cage in 8 or 9 years, if I remember correctly I fouled off most of the pitches and made no solid contact. But this past winter, after pitching some BP to my son, I asked if he would throw me some pitches. After a dozen balls off the tee, I thought I was ready. I'm sure he was throwing less than 70 mph and I was able to make contact. He gave me some instruction and threw a little harder which I started hitting a few line drives. He told to try backside and I actually did alright, but then he threw that nasty change up that he threw in high school. I swung, the ball wasn't where it should have been and I pulled something in my back. That's probably my last attempt at batting - ever!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Have you had MAPLE before? It is a business up here and after they process it, that is some good stuff. I learned how to make pure butter pancakes and match with the syrup they make up here, my parents are like wanting it when they visit, it is that good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I don't understand why I can see better from the left side but I am a right handed hitter but I remember my coaches said your weak hand you have better bat control and I think they are right.

In softball I can hit homers from both sides and it is why they always walk me intentionally, it doesn't matter but baseball I NEVER hit a homer left handed, all on the right side, but my average on the left is like 100 pts higher.

Baseball is a great game, the best in coordination unlike the other sports. You have to have SOME physical tools, but brain, EYES and smarts plays a part in it.
    Sounds like your right eye is much more dominant than your left. For me I'm basically ambidextrous in many ways. Eyes are about equal, when I played street hockey I was a better player right handed overall. most hockey players shoot with their opposite hand because their top hand is their strong hand. I was as strong with my left hand on top as my right and much much better shooting right handed.

For those reasons I was always a super strong right handed hitter. I hit a little left handed because my dad insisted on it, but aside from having a tool for when I moved along if I couldn't hit breaking balls.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

It may have something to do with which eye is dominant.

PS--I didn't see zito's post. I agree with him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Have you had MAPLE before? It is a business up here and after they process it, that is some good stuff. I learned how to make pure butter pancakes and match with the syrup they make up here, my parents are like wanting it when they visit, it is that good.
    Have I had Maple? My girlfriend of almost 5 years's parents run a popular pancake restaurant. I get Maple Syrup whenever I need it. Place where I live above does a Maple thing every year and I've gone both years because I do find the whole Mapleing process fascinating. Wisconsin does produce more syrup than New Hampshire, but when you factor in the sizes of the states, you'd know it's a bigger deal in NH. I also live really close to the parts of Vermont that are why it's the second largest producing territory, behind the staggering production of Quebec, and ahead of Ontario.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by catcher10 View Post
    Haven't been in a batting cage in 8 or 9 years, if I remember correctly I fouled off most of the pitches and made no solid contact. But this past winter, after pitching some BP to my son, I asked if he would throw me some pitches. After a dozen balls off the tee, I thought I was ready. I'm sure he was throwing less than 70 mph and I was able to make contact. He gave me some instruction and threw a little harder which I started hitting a few line drives. He told to try backside and I actually did alright, but then he threw that nasty change up that he threw in high school. I swung, the ball wasn't where it should have been and I pulled something in my back. That's probably my last attempt at batting - ever!
    You won't get change up or curves and I would kill them but it is nice that your son give you opportunity for you to learn and you to teach.

Growing up, my dad did not make the Cubs, even Santo wanted him on the team. As a youngster he wanted me and my brother try to make us really good and noticed, we didn't, we were able to do other sports, both of us are taller than him, brother played in NCAA and went to the tourney and I played professionally in Europe, but besides that, we were good baseball players and my brother thought he was better (All State, but playing with Steve Finley and Terry Shumpter, is better I think). We had a setup in our yard that our dad would pitch to us. He threw some of the nastiest and fastest pitches you will see. We had a tin back drop used as the strike zone and basically made us look like fools until we understood. We became better hitters. I was better being a switch hitter, my brother a better pitcher, being 6'4" helps and why he was all state to the point that the college coach wanted him to pitch but basketball coach said no.

I don't know how kids are today, but setting up something like we had would make you a better baseball player.

4 by 8 plywood backdrop.
    find an old tin roof or house covering and cut it to size and nail it to the board.
    Buy a whiffle ball, tape it up with duct tape and then electrical tape.
    You will not hurt the ball but the pitcher can do some of the nastiest things you can think of when pitching and when my dad did Fern Valenzueala screw balls that break 2' feet that is saying something.
    I never struck out left handed in high school or legion ball.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

catcher10 (03-30-2015)