Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: Braves in talks with DBacks for Trevor Cahill

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stpeteirish View Post
    I'm not sure our bullpen can afford to lose Martin. Sadly, we have so little that's working I'd be afraid to change one of the few things that is.

But Cahill's replacement has to be something they're working on.
    My guess is--performance taken into account--that Wisler and Foltynewicz will probably be in the starting rotation by August.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Cahill is more or less a sunk cost. Braves will probably wind up cutting him if he doesn't improve. He is averaging just over 4 IP per start, walking more guys than striking out, giving up more liners than at any point in his career, I guess you can say it's a good thing he's not giving up homers. But how much crap can you take. He's not cutting it on so many levels. When we get guys back or start promoting from the minors he's second on the block behind Stults. Though I think we'll move Stults to the pen, that's just a guess though.
    Have to think ALL the veterans they signed or dealt for were acquired with one thing in mind - delay the NEED to force Folty and Banuelos into the rotation before they were ready (or in a perfect world into June or July) if at all possible. I'd think the same holds true for Wisler's situation as well.

Getting any return for those guys once the kids gave management no choice other than to bring them up would be a nice bonus, but it wasn't the main concern. In retrospect they could've just re-signed Harang, but they didn't see him having another season like last year (and quite frankly, no one here did either). They grabbed for bounce-back guys with upside that they might be able to get something for and it hasn't worked out so far, but I don't personally think any of them were bad signings (or a bad trade in this case).

These guys weren't brought in here to win games (as the main goal anyway), and if they can stay healthy for another month they'll have "done their job".
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Have to think ALL the veterans they signed or dealt for were acquired with one thing in mind - delay the NEED to force Folty and Banuelos into the rotation before they were ready (or in a perfect world into June or July) if at all possible. I'd think the same holds true for Wisler's situation as well.

Getting any return for those guys once the kids gave management no choice other than to bring them up would be a nice bonus, but it wasn't the main concern. In retrospect they could've just re-signed Harang, but they didn't see him having another season like last year (and quite frankly, no one here did either). They grabbed for bounce-back guys with upside that they might be able to get something for and it hasn't worked out so far, but I don't personally think any of them were bad signings (or a bad trade in this case).

These guys weren't brought in here to win games (as the main goal anyway), and if they can stay healthy for another month they'll have "done their job".
    Agree. Cahill and Stults don't want to go quietly. People tend to forget that these guys are bred on competition and they are going to do their damndest to perform. Whether or not we get return for them is immaterial. We unloaded Elander and Reyes for Cahill and a draft pick. We pay Cahill for one year and he's off the books.

I'm one of the few who would have okay with Harang coming back. Durable guy.

The thing I'm finding funny about this year is that a lot of people who complained about the idea of a rebuild are now complaining that we're losing games we shouldn't lose even though they admit we should lose.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (04-27-2015), Julio3000 (04-27-2015), NYCBrave (04-27-2015), Tapate50 (04-27-2015), UNCBlue012 (04-27-2015), yeezus (04-27-2015)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I think that Cahill and Stults's highest purpose is to eat innings. If they can reduce stress on the bullpen and run clock until bringing the young guys up is a choice rather than a necessity, they'll have done their jobs.

It's an academic point, but I didn't see any reason to believe that Harang wouldn't be effective and durable again this year, and I doubt I'm alone in that. At the time, I assume the FO simply thought that they could get a reasonable proportion of the performance for less $$$.

I'm not going to be bothered if the team gives Cahill a fairly long leash, just to see if he can bounce back. I think I've got a pretty realistic handle on what this team is, and, despite that, I've found them pretty entertaining to watch so far.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (04-27-2015), clvclv (04-27-2015), mfree80 (04-27-2015), Tapate50 (04-27-2015), thethe (04-27-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I think that Cahill and Stults's highest purpose is to eat innings. If they can reduce stress on the bullpen and run clock until bringing the young guys up is a choice rather than a necessity, they'll have done their jobs.

It's an academic point, but I didn't see any reason to believe that Harang wouldn't be effective and durable again this year, and I doubt I'm alone in that. At the time, I assume the FO simply thought that they could get a reasonable proportion of the performance for less $$$.

I'm not going to be bothered if the team gives Cahill a fairly long leash, just to see if he can bounce back. I think I've got a pretty realistic handle on what this team is, and, despite that, I've found them pretty entertaining to watch so far.
    Agreed.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Playing the Waiting Game keithlaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I think that Cahill and Stults's highest purpose is to eat innings.
    We're going to have to spoon feed them to Cahill.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keithlaw For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-27-2015), Garmel (04-27-2015), Julio3000 (04-27-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keithlaw View Post
    We're going to have to spoon feed them to Cahill.
    Nice.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    From what I've seen with Cahill, he looks good when his arm slot is at 3/4 and his velocity is in the low 90s. He seems to drop his arm angle a little lower (maybe to try for more movement?) when he gets tired, or in trouble, or when his good sinker gets hit a little bit. Then he loses command, loses 2-3 MPH, gives up walks, and gets shelled.

If anyone can fix him, Roger can.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post

The thing I'm finding funny about this year is that a lot of people who complained about the idea of a rebuild are now complaining that we're losing games we shouldn't lose even though they admit we should lose.
    Some people here just like to complain. Just like in real life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    My guess is--performance taken into account--that Wisler and Foltynewicz will probably be in the starting rotation by August.
    They might be ready by then, but I would not use up any of their service time in a year we are not competing.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

thethe (04-27-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    They might be ready by then, but I would not use up any of their service time in a year we are not competing.
    I hope that the front office shares this viewpoint.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    That's one school of thought.

Another is that if you think the team will be ready to compete next year, you give Wisler and or the F word a few starts this year to kind of get used to pitching in the big leagues. Let them get over the potential shell shock of throwing to big league hitters in real games when the result truly doesn't matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I hope that the front office shares this viewpoint.
    Well, they gave up Kimbrel and Gattis for them, so they sure as hell better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Doesn't work out of the pen either.....

When's the DFA coming?
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post

When's the DFA coming?
    We still really don't know what he's got. I say give him the Mulholland treatment through September, assure us top pick, then call up the youngsters.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts

When's the DFA coming?
    Give Roger time to turn him into an all-star

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Need to check him for undiagnosed concussion and oculomotor dysfunction before thinking about DFA.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Carp (04-30-2015), Dalyn (05-16-2015), JohnAdcox (04-30-2015), jpx7 (05-15-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts

When's the DFA coming?
    How come you aren't bumping the AJ and Markakis threads?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Stults giving us a strong 5 innings each start, really eating those innings up!!!
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Stults giving us a strong 5 innings each start, really eating those innings up!!!
    It's a throwaway year, who cares?

And everyone knows he sucks.

Secondly, you have a Cardinals avi as your pic and you are a "Braves fan"

Third, why not bump the other threads too, while your at it.