Thread: Ervin Santana suspended 80 games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,744 Posts

Ervin Santana suspended 80 games

"Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    We should trade them Wandy! Oh, wait...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    "Santana is slated to earn $13.5MM this season, so the Twins will recover approximately half of that sum while he is on the restricted list without pay."

That needs to stop. The team should still have to pay, and the player should have to forfeit that pay as a fine. Maybe then the teams will start giving a ****.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (04-03-2015), Metaphysicist (04-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,744 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    "Santana is slated to earn $13.5MM this season, so the Twins will recover approximately half of that sum while he is on the restricted list without pay."

That needs to stop. The team should still have to pay, and the player should have to forfeit that pay as a fine. Maybe then the teams will start giving a ****.
    I think teams should have the option to void a players contract if they test positive for PED's. The team should still pay some kind of penalty like say 1 year of that players salary donated to charity and counted as part of their payroll. Especially in a case where a player just signed. Santana might be suspended 80 games but he still got a big contract off performance that was likely aided by taking PED's. Some cases might be obvious but I dont see how the Twins could have known Santana was cheating.

It’s over."

Arizona Fall Leaguer braves31win's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Okay who is the dealer in the Braves clubhouse? I am going with Kimbrel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,744 Posts
    It was Uggla. Watch him get suspended for PED's but only lose his salary from the Nats because we already cut him.

It’s over."

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by braves31win View Post
    Okay who is the dealer in the Braves clubhouse? I am going with Kimbrel
    That guy who changed his name to avoid suspicion.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Have no official statistics, but would love to see the names, since the "new rules" were put in place. Sure seems that MLB seems to suspend an overwhelming majority of Latino players. Vizcaino gets 80 games. Josh Hamilton doesn't even get a slap on the wrist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Have no official statistics, but would love to see the names, since the "new rules" were put in place. Sure seems that MLB seems to suspend an overwhelming majority of Latino players. Vizcaino gets 80 games. Josh Hamilton doesn't even get a slap on the wrist.
    HUGE difference between your two examples.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    That guy who changed his name to avoid suspicion.
    Well, I'll give him points for self-discipline. He's certainly not dipping into his own stash.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (04-03-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Well, I'll give him points for self-discipline. He's certainly not dipping into his own stash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    HUGE difference between your two examples.

Not suprisingly, you post without anything putting any thought and effort. Hard as it is for some of you to believe, important statistics are being compiled in places besides Fangraphs.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/fines-suspensions/

Now, whether or not Latinos are suspended at a higher rate than their relative representation in baseball is moot, a greater proportion of them appear to receive the lengthier suspensions (50 or more games). For anybody who cares, this list does include a number of familiar names, including current and former Braves.

Last edited by Knucksie; 04-03-2015 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Not suprisingly, you post without anything putting any thought and effort. Hard as it is for some of you to believe, important statistics are being compiled in places besides Fangraphs.

Now, whether or not Latinos are suspended at a higher rate than their relative representation in baseball is moot, a greater proportion of them appear to receive the lengthier suspensions (50 or more games). For anybody who cares, this list does include a number of familiar names, including current and former Braves.

I simply addressed you using Vizcaino and Hamilton as examples. I didn't say **** about your overall conclusion. If you're going to insult me regarding thought and effort, at least utilize those while reading what I actually said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    I simply addressed you using Vizcaino and Hamilton as examples. I didn't say **** about your overall conclusion. If you're going to insult me regarding thought and effort, at least utilize those while reading what I actually said.
    No need to go to the trouble of insults. You have almost 9,000 posts. It clearly shows that you do more typing than reflecting. Meantime, click the link. You might actually learn something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    No need to go to the trouble of insults. You have almost 9,000 posts. It clearly shows that you do more typing than reflecting. Meantime, click the link. You might actually learn something.
    "Have no official statistics, but would love to see the names, since the "new rules" were put in place. Sure seems that MLB seems to suspend an overwhelming majority of Latino players. Vizcaino gets 80 games. Josh Hamilton doesn't even get a slap on the wrist."

If you have links, try providing them in the original post next time. While I've read the ones you eventually posted (and speaking of thought and effort), saying you "have no official statistics" sure doesn't sound like you had the links at the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    You have almost 9,000 posts. It clearly shows that you do more typing than reflecting. Meantime, click the link.
    Some of us are capable of doing both at the same time! Imagine that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,302 Posts
    An independent arbitrator ruled MLB couldn't suspend Hamilton. So I'm not sure what point you are making, but that particular example is a rather poor one.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (04-04-2015), Metaphysicist (04-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    If you have links, try providing them in the original post next time. While I've read the ones you eventually posted (and speaking of thought and effort), saying you "have no official statistics" sure doesn't sound like you had the links at the time.
    Did this become a site rule? Nobody can surmise/speculate without first conducting a Google search and posting a link. (As evidenced by post counts, you can see I don't spend nearly as much time on the forum as you do.) Turns out there was something to the assumption. Surprised that there was such a site, tracking suspensions, so at least the exercize was worthwhile.

Now you can return to bitching about Hart & Schuerholz....
    Last edited by Knucksie; 04-04-2015 at 08:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    An independent arbitrator ruled MLB couldn't suspend Hamilton. So I'm not sure what point you are making, but that particular example is a rather poor one.
    It's still part of the substance abuse policy, no matter how it's administered. Review the list and see how many superstars have received extended suspensions. The only really big names are

A-Rod, whom MLB and obviously the Yankees would have loved if he'd just retired.
    Ryan Braun. Former NL MVP, member of Bud's former team (didn't he beat the rap previously? not going to bother conducting a Google search to verify, with all apologies to Dahlin')...so, they'd prefer that fans just forget
    Way down toward the bottom is Manny. You can bet that they grew tired of his antics and felt that they needed to make an example after instituting the revamped substance abuse policy.

By now, everybody realizes that the league, teams and the player's union turned a blind eye after end of the last strike. Major PR issue anytime a big name, big contract player in a leading market, no matter what the cause. (To be fair, the NFL has much worse problems with its players!)

Point was that the DO throw the book Latino players at a staggering high proportion. Vizcaino or Ervin Santana probably used stuff that was less potent than what some of the muscleheads, in the free weight area at my gym, use. Independent arbitrator or not, Hamilton deserved some form of punishment for being a repeat offender. That's the binding decision, so no skin off my behind.

Let me share a personal account, not baseball-related, about the current system of justice. In NYS, revenues from traffic violations go back to the municipalities instead of Albany. They reduce the violation, depending on severity (speeding, stop sign, traffic light, etc.) down to parking ticket...but with a $150 fine. The municipalities even budget for it now. This means that the cops' jobs are to write as many as possible. Probably the same in all 50 states.

About 3 years ago, got stopped for a marginal stop sign incident. Somebody was driving straight through from my right side at 4-way, when I started to turn right after he crossed the intersection. This deputy was a real prick ("where you going?!" this on a public road, around the corner from home) probably just out of military then the academy. Sees everybody as a potential criminal.

So, the court date comes up. As expected, it's reduced to a parking violation with $150 fine. Meanwhile, during the proceedings, a juvenile deliquent with a prior record, had been arrested for possession of heroine got probation. Now you could say that the it's different but is it really? The system's corrupted, and to maybe a large extent baseball's is too.
    Last edited by Knucksie; 04-04-2015 at 09:06 AM.