Thread: Fandom Geography

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts

Fandom Geography

Interesting article from The Atlantic.

"Most interesting, though, is how post-season success expands a team’s fanbase. As Facebook’s sports-data team notes in the two charts below, the reach of both the San Francisco Giants and the Kansas City Royals expanded this year, eating into Rockies, Twins, or Mariners territory."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Hawk (04-04-2015)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Haha, it looks like the Myrtle Beach/North Myrtle Beach area is basically the only Yankee area in an otherwise pretty solid South. North Carolina is just ****ed up.

No comment there, except for: GO HOME YA DAMN YANKS.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-04-2015), Garmel (04-04-2015)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Poor Mets
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    I find it funny that as good as the Nats have been, they can't even break that far into Virginia. Yankees is just background noise, so its presence means no majority cares about any team there.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    As Facebook’s sports-data team notes in the two charts below, the reach of both the San Francisco Giants and the Kansas City Royals expanded this year, eating into Rockies, Twins, or Mariners territory."
    Everybody loves a winner.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Virginia is Braves country at least among native Virginians. Stands to reason though. Most of my life there were two minor league affiliates in the Commonwealth. The Yankee love in Northern Va comes from gov't job transplants and the baby boomers who had those Yankee teams of the 50's to root for. Southwestern Va is solidly Braves country which the map shows and is very true. Go to town and you see more Braves caps than anything else. People still will say they miss the Braves on TBS.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Virginia is Braves country at least among native Virginians. Stands to reason though. Most of my life there were two minor league affiliates in the Commonwealth. The Yankee love in Northern Va comes from gov't job transplants and the baby boomers who had those Yankee teams of the 50's to root for. Southwestern Va is solidly Braves country which the map shows and is very true. Go to town and you see more Braves caps than anything else. People still will say they miss the Braves on TBS.
    That's a good point. My dad was a native N Carolinian but was a Yankee fan from the Mantle Era until the 70s because they were always shown on the Game of the Week and so heavily covered in the sports media of the day.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (04-04-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Haha, it looks like the Myrtle Beach/North Myrtle Beach area is basically the only Yankee area in an otherwise pretty solid South. North Carolina is just ****ed up.

No comment there, except for: GO HOME YA DAMN YANKS.

When I moved to NC I was surprised by how large of a NYY fan base there was. A lot of the old timers were/are Yankee fans and that dates back to the radio days when that's who they could follow.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Hawk (04-04-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    A few things that stand out to me. No Mets territory lol, but not surprising. Living here in NYC, it's Yankees dominated. Poor Padres and Angels, and also Marlins and Rays. Surprised to see Orioles and Nats so small but they don't have much to expand into. Size of the territory isn't equal to number of fans there. Also, poor Astros. How the heck is Louisianna Yankee fans and not Braves or one of the Texas teams???

Oh, and no A's representation lol