Thread: Around Baseball 2015 Edition

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Jesus Tim.

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/ti...913/+bubbaprog

That's a tough night right there.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 05-15-2015 at 07:54 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

thethe (05-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I'd accept that train of logic if Bonds was a pariah on the level of Alex Rodriguez or Ryan Braun; loathed by fans AND clearly on the decline/injury prone. But the collusive aspect to all of this still lingers when you consider the fact that Bonds was one of the premiere offensive forces in the league and coming off a year of elite production that should have commanded a multi-year deal. And to not even get a minor league offer?

There are plenty of examples of teams turning the cheek on clubhouse cancers because of their talent. Elijah Dukes beat his wife, Milton Bradley was insane, Manny Ramirez kept cheating. That didn't stop clubs from throwing them rope.

It just seems Bonds was made an example out of, which might be fair in the realm of unwritten rules but it's not legally kosher.
    Accept it or not, he was tainted goods back then before that term was hip. The circus that followed Barry was unheard of in his day. I remember him possibly being a fit with the Braves and FO respectfully squashed those rumors because of that reason. I believe the roids rumors and him possibly not being able to play made any signing risky did it not?

You may not want to believe it, but it happened. The baggage was overwhelming at the time.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 05-15-2015 at 07:58 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Accept it or not, he was tainted goods back then before that term was hip. The circus that followed Barry was unheard of in his day. I remember him possibly being a fit with the Braves and FO respectfully squashed those rumors because of that reason. I believe the roids rumors and him possibly not being able to play made any signing risky did it not?

You may not want to believe it, but it happened. The baggage was overwhelming at the time.
    Bonds was clearly made an example of. Steroids had just blown up in the public eye and Bonds was the best of the bunch so he had a bullseye on him. MLB and ownership were trying to distance themselves at the tiem claiming ignorance and innocense when everyone with half a brain knew they were in on it the whole time too.

If Bonds wasn't the best and most well known when they whole steroid thing blew up then he would of had a job somewhere. MLB has proven over and over again that they don't care about cheating and only care about performance. That's why numerous cheaters get numerous chances to come back. But Bonds was the scapegoat to all the steroids hysteria mainly due to the homerun record. Which is sad when you think about it. If he wasn't breaking Aaron's record nobody would have cared as much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I think its a case of hindsight being 20\20. At the time, he was radioactive. Now a lot of that media criticism and hoopla have faded and he seems like it wasn't that bad.

I don't think the owners would have gotten together and colluded not to make their teams better if he provided as much on the field as he did off it. Someone would go rogue like Jeff Loria and sign him just to dig at other folks not willing to take a shot on a guy and winning.

Seems like a conspiracy theory to me.
    Ivermectin Man

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Like you said there are those owners like Jeff Loria who just don't care. Which is why it's odd that no team even offered him a league minimum deal like every other player gets. It was a blackeye on baseball and MLB wanted him out of the league.

Now I doubt anything will ever be proven but I've always thought there was a concentrated effort to get him out of the league as quick as possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Yikes. Hate to this this happen to a guy about to cash in on free agency, but if it had to happen, I'm glad it happened to the Nationals.

@JonHeymanCBS
    doug fister placed on the d.l. with right forearm tightness, nats announce. aj cole up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    I think with Bonds it was a case of no one was going to offer him a league minimum deal because he wouldnt take it. Why even waste your time with it.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Jason is being semi-platooned in St. Louis now with Randal Grichuk.
    and we got Shelby Miller for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Jason is being semi-platooned in St. Louis now with Randal Grichuk.
    and we got Shelby Miller for him.

The wierd thing about that is that he has done well against lefties this year. His homer last night helped those numbers a bunch but thats not a good move for the Cardinals. Heyward is going to perform over the course of the season. He just won't reach that peak we all thought he would get to.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The wierd thing about that is that he has done well against lefties this year. His homer last night helped those numbers a bunch but thats not a good move for the Cardinals. Heyward is going to perform over the course of the season. He just won't reach that peak we all thought he would get to.
    Grichuk just got off the disabled list and he's a player they've always liked. I don't think this is a platoon situation at all unless yeezus has read something I haven't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Grichuk just got off the disabled list and he's a player they've always liked. I don't think this is a platoon situation at all unless yeezus has read something I haven't.
    This is all I read:
    Heyward is out of the lineup for Saturday's game against the Tigers.
    Spin: The writing on the wall has been worrying for Heyward's owners since he was dropped to eighth in the Cardinals' lineup. Now, Randal Grichuk is batting leadoff while taking over right field for Heyward. The two are likely in a platoon situation for the time being given that they are facing the left-handed David Price. This is a major hit to Heyward's value for the rest of the season.

Probably not 100% accurate or worthwhile but you know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Theres a lot of speculation Tulo could be traded this year with the Rockies tanking yet again. How can anyone trade good prospects and be on the hook for atleast 5 years 100 million for someone that might be a Coors Field mirage. Some thought Justin Upton was a product of his home field and he has proven that wrong. If Tulo could do it playing home games anywhere but Coors I think the Braves should be all over this. Freeman/Tulo in the middle of the batting order for the next 6 years. Wisler, Sims, Jenkins, take all 3.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Not a chance I'm trading all those guys for Tulo when we have no clue how he will hit out of coors and if he will be healthy.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Not a chance I'm trading all those guys for Tulo when we have no clue how he will hit out of coors and if he will be healthy.
    I think he will hit outside of coors. He's a 817 OPS guy on the road and while Coors does boost numbers he's still a very good hitter. The big issue with Tulo is health though. He's already 30 and has played a ton of SS. These are the type of guys you don't want to go after. If the Braves were in position to contend right now and needed 1 more bat and he had 1 or 2 years left I'd say go for it. But none of those apply here.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-17-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I wouldnt be against trading for a bat, but Tulo has questions.

Age, ability to hit from coors, main problem imo is his health, he always is hurt.

Braun would be a little more intriguing if Mil wanted to trade him if they would eat some of the deal.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I read somewhere earlier a bit of speculation that suggested the Red Sox were willing to trade Xander Bogaerts in a package for Tulo. That price makes me uncomfortable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I wouldnt be against trading for a bat, but Tulo has questions.

Age, ability to hit from coors, main problem imo is his health, he always is hurt.

Braun would be a little more intriguing if Mil wanted to trade him if they would eat some of the deal.
    I just threw up a little bit. Braun can go fly a kite.
    Ivermectin Man

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-17-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Harper is in some zone right now.

Just hit another homer to LF in Petco.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Wash would be a big player for Tulo but Im not sure it would be smart for any team to trade for him.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Harper is in some zone right now.

Just hit another homer to LF in Petco.
    Him and rickie fowler are overated.