Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    In 2013 he got hurt in mid May, at which time he was already starting to cool down. He had exactly 4 total hits in the month of May prior to his injury.

Try again.
    Actually, if we want to post facts, he got injured April 29th running into the wall and jacking up his hip and bruised ribs. He didn't learn and injured his knee running into the wall on May 13th. It wasn't till May 25th when sliding into 2nd and hobbling around (on the 26th) that they decided that they've run their injured phenom into the ground enough to shut him down.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Actually, if we want to post facts, he got injured April 29th running into the wall and jacking up his hip and bruised ribs. He didn't learn and injured his knee running into the wall on May 13th. It wasn't till May 25th when sliding into 2nd and hobbling around (on the 26th) that they decided that they've run their injured phenom into the ground enough to shut him down.
    Rizzo is one of the best GM's in baseball, but they have really had their fair share of bozo managers that have tried their damnedest to mess that situation up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Thank you for the clarification.

I think its clear that when Harper is healthy he is dominant. As long as he is healthy I believe he will be the best hitter in baseball and so far he is showing that and its not particularly close.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Rizzo is one of the best GM's in baseball, but they have really had their fair share of bozo managers that have tried their damnedest to mess that situation up.
    Yeah, Rizzo is excellent scout/talent guy. Its odd they treated Stras with gloves and yet Harper play demolition derby with his body.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Heyward benched again today vs a lefty (Also happens to be Niese, the one who smashed his face). Wonder if this platoon thing is real.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    7 games...thats a huge sample.

Come on now. He had a dominant April that year and had a bad 7 games then got hurt.

Forgive me if I don't think you proved me wrong here.
    9 games actually and about 33 PA's. Which accounted for about 1/4 of all the PA's he had up to that point in the season.

Of course it's SSS. Just like his April was a SSS. 100 at bats isn't enough of a sample to judge anything, other than someone is playing very well.
    Last edited by Carp; 05-19-2015 at 03:59 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    The knee injury which kept him out most of the season happened on May 13.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Oh yeah, he was 20 years old that year as well. I can't believe he slumped!
    His age is irrelevant. You were the one calling him the best hitter in baseball when he was 20 years old. And you were wrong.
    Last edited by Carp; 05-19-2015 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    His age is irrelevant. You were the one calling him the best hitter in baseball when he was 20 years old. And you were wrong.
    Injuries will sap even the best players. The facts are the facts. When Harper is healthy he performs like the best hitter in baseball.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Injuries will sap even the best players. The facts are the facts. When Harper is healthy he performs like the best hitter in baseball.
    Projections are not facts. If you aren't projecting then what you are saying is categorically false because the last month is the only time in his whole career has ever performed as the best hitter in baseball.

If you weren't so obtuse about this you might actually get some traction, but speaking in absolutes has, once again, put you in a corner where the only way out is to make even more outrageous claims.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Projections are not facts. If you aren't projecting then what you are saying is categorically false because the last month is the only time in his whole career has ever performed as the best hitter in baseball.

If you weren't so obtuse about this you might actually get some traction, but speaking in absolutes has, once again, put you in a corner where the only way out is to make even more outrageous claims.
    Only sith deal in absolutes

thethe must be a sith

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (05-19-2015)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    When besides this year has he performed like the best hitter in baseball?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    The knee injury which kept him out most of the season happened on May 13.

Now, with less than a month left in the regular season, we learn Harper supposedly has had hip pain since crashing into the outfield wall on April 29th. He stayed in the lineup in spite of hurting his ribcage that day and then played on after another date with the wall on May 13th when he hurt his left knee. As any headstrong athlete might – but especially one who is a stubborn twenty year old – Harper continued to take the field, aggressively, though less productively, until aggravating the knee with a headfirst slide on May 25th. The diagnosis was bursitis and was secondary to the trauma from contact. Harper ultimately voiced his regrets for playing hurt – doing so likely compounded his recovery time.

Well, it seems Harper was giving lip service to having learned that lesson. Only after reportedly limping around the field and base paths these last few days did he admit his sore left hip was getting in the way. Evidently the player has been receiving treatment on the hip from the training staff for an undisclosed period of time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Heyward benched again today vs a lefty (Also happens to be Niese, the one who smashed his face). Wonder if this platoon thing is real.
    Heyward has a 968 OPS and a 368 avg vs LHP this year....so if they are platooning him, that's pretty dumb.
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

I'm not a stand on the fence kind of guy. Makes me look bad a lot but I have my moments as well. Harper will end up being one of my good moments.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    When besides this year has he performed like the best hitter in baseball?
    He was pretty special in April of 2013 until he got hurt.

Last year was a down year early on and this year he is clearly been the best hitter in baseball almost two months into the season.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    I'm not a stand on the fence kind of guy. Makes me look bad a lot but I have my moments as well. Harper will end up being one of my good moments.
    This isn't a matter of "let's see if you are right...". Right now you are wrong by saying he's the best hitter in baseball. Could he become the best? Yes. Absolutely. No sane person should deny that. But you are categorically false by saying he has been the best hitter in baseball when healthy. He could hit 2000 homeruns in his career and you would still be wrong.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts

Last year was a down year early on and this year he is clearly been the best hitter in baseball almost two months into the season.
    He was special in April of 2013 but he wasn't the best hitter in baseball during that month. But what you are pretty much saying is that Harper has only been healthy for 7 weeks in his MLB career, right?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts

He wasn't the best hitter the first half of this season. His stats are reflection of him hitting .600 the last 2 weeks.

Overall he's been the best, but all that anyone is saying that being the best hitter in baseball requires more than a solid 2 week insane hot streak.