Page 52 of 156 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 3110

Thread: Around Baseball 2015 Edition

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    I could go several different ways with this, but I will just focus on the "as soon as a moment presents itself" part. By the end of 2011, Wren had already chased off Clark and many others and pushed Cox into retiring. Much of the damage we keep hearing about was already done and apparently everyone hated him. But he survived the biggest collapse in Atlanta Braves history.
    Maybe JS didn't have the ultimate approval from his superiors to fire Wren at that point. JS deserves blame here for sure though.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Maybe JS didn't have the ultimate approval from his superiors to fire Wren at that point. JS deserves blame here for sure though.

I find that incredibly unlikely. Why is so hard for you to admit that JS and co. have plenty they need to be criticized for? Even the best GMs, coaches, etc have their fair share of failures and bone head moves.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-22-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    If th eBraves don't take their BJ/Kimbrel money and Sign Jason/Justin we're ****ed.

If our outfield in 2017 is Maybin, Mallex, Markakis, we're ****ed.

And I wouldn't bet on a .360-.370 OBP from Markakis. 4 years before this year he was at .351/.363/.329/.342
    I wouldnt mind Justin but doubt they get him given he trains in Arizona.

Jason, yes and no, just depends what he wants. His offensive flaws are becoming obvious league-wide, still a good player but not near as good as some on this board make it seem.

They arent going into 2017 with Maybin, Markakis and Smith as the outfield.

They'll use some of the pitching depth to trade for one, sign an outfielder this winter.

And figure something out with 3B.

2B should be a little better with the progression of Pederson.

Pitching should also be better given we wont be having turds like Cahill and Stults in the rotation next year.

Said it before, i think they make a move for some outfielder, with Wood and some others in the deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I find that incredibly unlikely. Why is so hard for you to admit that JS and co. have plenty they need to be criticized for? Even the best GMs, coaches, etc have their fair share of failures and bone head moves.
    Who do you think is at the top of the hierarchy for the Braves?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Ryu out for the year, wonder if LA trades for someone.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    It sounds as though Wren was a total pr*ck, but I can't believe Schuerholz couldn't discern that in all the years that Wren was his underling. I don't give Wren much sympathy, but it had to be difficult to be the GM with Schuerholz likely looking over Wren's shoulder. I just think the franchise's decision-making become forced and erratic beginning with the last few years of the Schuerholz regime and that continued with Wren. The budget situation contributed to that and Wren's free agent choices and the contracts he doled out exacerbated that problem, but Schuerholz' effectiveness--as is the case with most GMs--diminished as the size of the wallet he was sitting on became thinner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    It sounds as though Wren was a total pr*ck, but I can't believe Schuerholz couldn't discern that in all the years that Wren was his underling. I don't give Wren much sympathy, but it had to be difficult to be the GM with Schuerholz likely looking over Wren's shoulder. I just think the franchise's decision-making become forced and erratic beginning with the last few years of the Schuerholz regime and that continued with Wren. The budget situation contributed to that and Wren's free agent choices and the contracts he doled out exacerbated that problem, but Schuerholz' effectiveness--as is the case with most GMs--diminished as the size of the wallet he was sitting on became thinner.

Well for the most part under Wren, the Braves were winning. You don't often see a GM fired after a string of successful seasons. Seems like the first chance the Braves got, after the horrible performance last year, they got rid of him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/bryce...-bryce-harper/

Nice little fangraphs article on Trout vs. Harper which basically echo most of the thoughts that have been expressed on this board.
    Natural Immunity Croc

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-22-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Interesting nuggets from Jon Heyman about the Braves today:

Braves have inquired about Jonathan Lucroy and are considering becoming deadline buyers this year. The Brewers insist Lucroy isn't available.

Secondly, multiple teams have sniffed around Shelby Miller. Would be very interesting if the Braves would consider moving Shelby in a blockbuster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/bryce...-bryce-harper/

Nice little fangraphs article on Trout vs. Harper which basically echo most of the thoughts that have been expressed on this board.
    He could stand up to Trout or be better, I don't think that is disputed. He has the talent. But, he's also injury prone and sucks ass when he's hurt and rarely plays through it. Give me Trout 10 times out of 10.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-22-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post

Braves have inquired about Jonathan Lucroy and are considering becoming deadline buyers this year. The Brewers insist Lucroy isn't available.

Secondly, multiple teams have sniffed around Shelby Miller. Would be very interesting if the Braves would consider moving Shelby in a blockbuster.
    Wow. PLEASE do not move Miller unless it's something extraordinary. We need pitching. lol and I would LOVE Lucroy. What a move that would be. If we can hover around .500 or so by the deadline, he'd be the type of guy that can get us to the promised land.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Shelby for Lucroy isn't an insane idea. If you believe pitch framing metrics at all then Lucroy was worth 8 WAR last season and he's cost controlled through 2017 at 4 million per year.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Lucroy hasnt hit well at all this year.

But i would consider trading for him, not sure i'd give up Miller for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts

Braves have inquired about Jonathan Lucroy and are considering becoming deadline buyers this year.
    Oh, that's awesome. I mentioned earlier itt that Lucroy would be a perfect option for us. I mean just absolutely exactly what we need.
    Last edited by weso1; 05-22-2015 at 11:14 AM.
    thank you weso1!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Lucroy hasnt hit well at all this year.

But i would consider trading for him, not sure i'd give up Miller for him.
    It's just 50 at bats this year. He has been an excellent hitter the past 3 years. Throw in the fact that he would be the best caddy on earth to all of the young pitchers on the Braves staff and it makes a lot of sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    It's just 50 at bats this year. He has been an excellent hitter the past 3 years. Throw in the fact that he would be the best caddy on earth to all of the young pitchers on the Braves staff and it makes a lot of sense.
    But then we lose our best pitcher. And we need pitching. I really doubt we trade Miller.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

Heyward (05-22-2015), JohnAdcox (05-22-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    But then we lose our best pitcher. And we need pitching. I really doubt we trade Miller.
    I doubt the Braves trade Miller but he didn't report that Miller would be the asking price. There wasn't any asking price on Lucroy as the Braves were reportedly told he's not available. Here's what Heyman wrote: "Atlanta inquired about the Brewers' Jonathan Lucroy but were told he is unavailable ... Perhaps no player has raised his stock more than Shelby Miller (5-1, 1.33), who's already spun a two-hitter and a three-hitter in his short stay in Atlanta. Other teams are known to be eyeing him for potential trade but it's hard to see the Braves giving him up, what with two more years before free agency."

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-22-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Miller is almost an untouchable for me. I would have to wait to see how some of the other young arms develop before moving him.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I doubt the Braves trade Miller but he didn't report that Miller would be the asking price. There wasn't any asking price on Lucroy as the Braves were reportedly told he's not available. Here's what Heyman wrote: "Atlanta inquired about the Brewers' Jonathan Lucroy but were told he is unavailable ... Perhaps no player has raised his stock more than Shelby Miller (5-1, 1.33), who's already spun a two-hitter and a three-hitter in his short stay in Atlanta. Other teams are known to be eyeing him for potential trade but it's hard to see the Braves giving him up, what with two more years before free agency."
    I didn't mean to insinuate Shelby for Lucroy is what was being discussed. That was just an idea I threw out myself.

It is interesting that Shelby has gone from being a somewhat disappointing return for 1 year of Heyward to being off the table entirely. Speaks volumes to the changes he's made as a pitcher.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    If we were to trade a pitcher, i'd try to do a package around Alex.

Not exactly sure what it would take to get him.