Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grade the front office this offseason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts

Grade the front office this offseason.

I assume that this thread has already been made, but the deal before opening day was such a big deal that I think this topic deserves revisiting. I personally would give Hart and company an "A". Before the Kimbrel trade I probably would have given them a "B". Here are my comments on the major trades Hart made this offseason plus a little blurb on the minor moves.

Heyward trade - B- I know many rank this trade as the worst, but I actually thought this was a good trade. I think the two main pieces in this trade were good buy low prospects/players. I was very impressed with Miller this spring and impressed with the tape I saw on Jenkins. With that in mind that's a solid return for Heyward, but Walden was a pretty significant throw in. I don't think we needed to throw him in for what we got back.

Upton trade - A I think a lot of folks were unhappy with this trade, but I think the emergence of Jace Peterson as a potential above average 2b has made this a really good trade. Jace was arguably considered the worst prospect in this trade yet he's starting at 2nd and looks like he could wind up being a nice little player for us. We also got a legit potential CF and leadoff guy, a potential power hitting 3b and oh yeah, there's that one guy who happens to be the centerpiece of the deal. Now he almost seems like a throw in.

Gattis trade - C Many folks see this trade as the best of the three major deals pre spring training. I personally think this was the worst deal. I like Foltyney****z and think he has a chance as a starter, but I just don't like the idea of him being the center piece of a major traded due to his very high walk rate. Some project him as a late inning reliever. I just don't think your headline dude in a trade should be a reliever. Ruiz is a very interesting prospect and could be our future 3b. But there's a better chance he's going to not work out.

Markakis signing - B I actually liked this move. This made the next 2 seasons a little more bearable for me. I paid close attention really to only three players on offense on opening day, because I was genuinely excited to see them bat and/or play defense... Peterson, Markakis and Freeman. I just enjoy watching Markakis play baseball. And that's not a knock on Heyward. I really enjoyed watching Heyward play baseball as well. While Markakis clearly isn't as talented, he does take the game seriously just as Heyward did. I think some of the Braves fans who loved Heyward because of the way he played the game (this included me) should give the same amount of respect to Markakis for the way he plays the game. Both players are just fun to watch, because they are professionals. Although it's a joke on this board, both players actually really do love playing the game. It helps that Markakis actually isn't a bad player.

Other moves - Obviously some nice moves with Banuelos etc. Those moves are all A's as far as I'm concerned. No risk potential high reward, but in the end they are minor moves, so I won't comment much on them.

So now we got to the Kimbrel trade:

Kimbrel trade - A++++ Best move of the offseason by any team. The one move Hart had to make this offseason that seemed impossible, was getting rid of Upton Jr's contract for 2017. He did it. Yes, he had to package a great closer. But we got a damn good pitching prospect back along with a couple of other nice pieces. So it's not like it was just a case of take Upton's contract away from us and we'll give you this great piece. I mean I would argue that Kimbrel for the group of prospects/draft pick we got back was good enough for Kimbrel alone. I really like the starting pitcher we got back in this deal. Consider also that we got back the money that Kimbrel would have earned as well and it just adds an extra couple of pluses to this deal. Oh and with Maybin. We actually had a need for him as well. A back up CF/starting CF. Folks are just writing him off, but he was a piece we actually needed this year and next to at least make this team a bit more fun to watch from a competitive stand point.
    thank you weso1!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (04-07-2015), jgriff3029 (04-06-2015), Julio3000 (04-06-2015)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Overall I give them an A.

Dumped a metric **** ton of bad salary
    Began rebuilding our terrible farm system
    Freed up the cash to be buyers in time for the big move to Cobb county.

Those that don't see that just want to bitch for the sake of bitching.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Heyward trade - B-
    Upton trade - A
    Gattis trade - A
    Kimbrel trade - A+
    Markakis signing - D

LaStella trade - C
    Man Ban trade - B+
    Wren trade - F-
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I give them an A because I think they've been successful at doing what they decided needed to be done. The real report card on John Hart will come in a couple more years.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

weso1 (04-06-2015)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    B.

Brought up by the Kimbrel trade.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to holden For This Useful Post:

Hawk (04-07-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    I give them an A because I think they've been successful at doing what they decided needed to be done. The real report card on John Hart will come in a couple more years.
    2017 is the year for Hart. Anything less than a playoff appearance will be a let down. I think we're set up well for that, but it remains to be seen.
    thank you weso1!

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Loved everything they did outside of the Markakis signing. Didn't mind bringing him in, just not liking the years. There was no reason to do that if you were going to go as far with this rebuild as they did. Maybe they didn't know this was going to be a full rebuild though (which would be a mistake on their part). In the end they get an A because they accomplished their goals. They get draft picks, payroll flexibility, and improve the minor league system. They also still have moveable parts they may be able to trade at the deadline so they may not be done yet.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

weso1 (04-06-2015)

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Hard to give a definitive grade not knowing what will happen over the next two years or so, but this latest trade really went a long way toward improving my positive feelings for Hart.

Heyward and Upton trades - Didn't agree with, but at least one of them probably needed to be dealt. If Shelby Miller pitches to his capability, and Jace develops into a really good player, the trades look better. If we convert some of the money we have on hand to re-signing Justin or Jason in the offseason, then they look really good.

Gattis trade - Would rather have gotten more, but he belongs in the AL.

Markakis signing - Fairly solid player; I just question if the money was worth it. If he helps some of our talented young guys mature, fine. If he has a strong first half and we suck, I hope we dangle him to contenders looking for an OF bat.

Kimbrel trade - The best one for the simple fact we shed Melvin's cancerous contract and apparently pulled a couple good prospects out of it. However, I'm worried we'll come to regret getting rid of Kimbrel.

As mentioned above, I'd give the front office a passing grade in context of what it wanted to accomplish.

But none of this will be worth it if we don't begin making the right moves in the offseason to bring some major talent in here.

We traded away four of our five or six most marketable players this offseason and are going to be entering a new stadium in hopes of driving up attendance. Past the first couple months, people won't come for a ****ty team. There better be a good freaking plan to replace these guys before the park opens. And sooner rather than later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    Loved everything they did outside of the Markakis signing. Didn't mind bringing him in, just not liking the years. There was no reason to do that if you were going to go as far with this rebuild as they did. Maybe they didn't know this was going to be a full rebuild though (which would be a mistake on their part). In the end they get an A because they accomplished their goals. They get draft picks, payroll flexibility, and improve the minor league system. They also still have moveable parts they may be able to trade at the deadline so they may not be done yet.
    I get that view point on the Markakis signing. I will enjoy watching him play these next couple of years and I understand that we wouldn't have had him without a 4 year deal. With that in mind I understand that his contract could be an albatross in 2017 and beyoned. With that in mind, it's much easier to take that knowing the Melvin Upton Jr's contract is off the books.
    thank you weso1!

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    D.

Rebuild was done a year too late.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Solid B+ with a chance to become an A. Loved what Hart said today about that the Kimbrel trade gave the flexibility to maybe accelerate the process.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to VirginiaBrave For This Useful Post:

Chico (04-07-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    It would so so so awesome if Heyward Kenny Loton-ed the Cards and signed back with us this coming off-season.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    A++ love the entire offseason including the Markakis signing.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay212033 For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (04-07-2015), thethe (04-07-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    A++ love the entire offseason including the Markakis signing.
    +1

You need to field a team and when the kids come up they have to be able to look at someone and know how to play the game the right way.
    Natural Immunity Croc

21. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Jay212033 (04-07-2015)

Playing the Waiting Game keithlaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    I'd give them an A. They'd have gotten an A+ if they could have dumped CJ's contract too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I just odn't get how we can complain about the returns for Heyward/J-Upt. If the argument is that you didn't feel the need to tradeone of them then thats fine but I thought the return for one year players was really good.
    Natural Immunity Croc

24. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Jay212033 (04-07-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    D.

I see you are in mid-season form already. Hard for Hart to rebuild with Wren at the helm.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

ChapelHillMatt (04-07-2015), Hudson2 (04-07-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I'd also like to give John Schuerholz an A for convincing Hart to take over when he really didn't want to at first. This was too big a rebuild to put on the shoulders of first time GM.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

ChapelHillMatt (04-07-2015), Hudson2 (04-07-2015), Tapate50 (04-07-2015), thethe (04-07-2015)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    I'd also like to give John Schuerholz an A for convincing Hart to take over when he really didn't want to at first. This was too big a rebuild to put on the shoulders of first time GM.
    Sure, if you believe that story. It sounded a tad too much like the accounts of Caesar refusing the crown.

I think the small moves were pretty much all A's. None of the big trades was worse than a B-. The Kimbrel/Upton move looks like an A+. I'm not sure that I have full confidence in this crew, but that trade certainly caused an uptick.

The La Stella deal, neither big nor small, was a C. I'm not that big a believer in Arodys, and I think that bullpen arms have been easier for this team to conjure up than position talent.

Final grades won't be available for a couple of years, I suppose.

I forgot a couple of things. Markakis deal is a C-. I can't grade it on what intangibles we might assume that the front office is thinking we may get.

The FO really turned me off early on. I thought that the public statements were sanctimonious, hypocritical, and disingenuous. The trajectory is generally positive, though.
    Last edited by Julio3000; 04-07-2015 at 07:48 AM.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (04-07-2015), Hawk (04-07-2015)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    D.

And the fans are responding really well to losing popular players who led us to 79 victories a year ago. Not only was the "re-make" necessary, but all played well except perhaps the Upton deal. I'll give Hart & Co., an "A-."