Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is AJ Peirzynski a bad person?

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts

Why is AJ Peirzynski a bad person?

I know he can be a hot head on the field, he's been in quite a few brawls but can anyone cite specific examples why he's bad to have on a team? Do his teammates really hate him? If so, why? What does he do that is so bad. Does he kill puppies and refuse to walk little old ladies across the street? What's his story?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    I know he can be a hot head on the field, he's been in quite a few brawls but can anyone cite specific examples why he's bad to have on a team? Do his teammates really hate him? If so, why? What does he do that is so bad. Does he kill puppies and refuse to walk little old ladies across the street? What's his story?
    I'll let someone else dig up the stories, but I know he keeps getting voted as one of the most hated (by players).

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    What does he do that is so bad. [...] What's his story?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    I'll let someone else dig up the stories, but I know he keeps getting voted as one of the most hated (by players).
    He takes "piss and vinegar" very literally.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-08-2015), Dalyn (04-08-2015), Julio3000 (04-08-2015)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    He takes "piss and vinegar" very literally.
    Very nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    I think it was Ozzie Guillen, when asked about AJ, said something to the effect of, "When he's on the other team you hate him. When he's on your team, you hate him a little less."

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (04-09-2015), Braves1976 (04-08-2015), Julio3000 (04-09-2015)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Favorite moment of Pierzdouchebag's career

Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Again, this is from watching him during his time here in Minnesota, but he just doesn't have a whole lot of nice things to say about anybody. Real chip on his shoulder and doesn't try to hide it. Chirps a lot when he's catching to get on the opposing hitters' nerves. Problem is, he's one of those guys who gets to be such a distraction when he's needling the other team that it throws his own guys off their game.

He is a pr*ck, but he's one of those guys who is at least honest about the fact he is a pr*ck. What you see is what you get. It'll probably be a sparsely attended funeral when he goes.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-08-2015), Prikichi (04-09-2015)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    He is a pr*ck, but he's one of those guys who is at least honest about the fact he is a pr*ck. What you see is what you get. It'll probably be a sparsely attended funeral when he goes.
    But a hell of an interesting obituary.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (04-09-2015), Braves1976 (04-09-2015), jpx7 (04-09-2015), Prikichi (04-09-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    "Jake Peavy, whose now famous duck boat purchase was inspired by Jonny Gomes, told the Boston Herald shortly after the Red Sox’ World Series celebration that he didn’t always view the outfielder in a positive light. In fact, he hated the guy. “He was literally the first person I saw when I walked into the clubhouse,” Peavy reportedly said of his first day in Boston. “And I have to say I didn’t have the fondest of thoughts in my head about Jonny Gomes. Just playing against him, I thought he was a lot of show. “I wasn’t crazy about him at all. But I soon found out he has this talent for bringing out the best in a team. When you don’t play with guys, you don’t get to know them.” Peavy got to know Gomes. Peavy’s teammates got to know Gomes. And Boston sure as hell got to know Gomes, whose passion and grit made him a fan favorite despite any preconceived notions. “I told them Jonny Gomes might be my favorite player in the big leagues,” Peavy said on Aug. 3 after an all-out effort from his once-hated teammate."

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/12/a-j-pierzyns...ten-overblown/

"Now, that catcher is gone, off to the Rangers. As Danks admitted, he will miss A.J. Pierzynski and his headstrong ways.

“You’re not out there alone when A.J. is behind the plate,” said Danks, the Rangers’ first-round draft choice in 2003. “He’s out there with you every step of the way. It’s real easy to trust A.J. because of his track record.

“You can say what you want about A.J. Sure, he has a reputation. But when it comes down to game time, he’s the guy you want out there with you. The Rangers got a winner in A.J.”

The “A.J. is a winner” line came up in every conversation with White Sox players and pitching coach Don Cooper on Wednesday. Pierzynski will do whatever he can to win, they said. He will take out a fielder with a hard slide, throw up a brick wall at the plate and harangue nonstop."

“The biggest thing I admire about A.J is that nobody wants to win worse than A.J.,” Peavy said. “He’s not real fond of the opposition, and I dig that. A.J. has that passion and desire to win. You can see that fire burning in him.

“People say he’s this and that; he gets voted most hated. But you want him on your team, because he is a winner. He’s going to be missed here, and he’s going to bring a lot to that Rangers team with his desire to win. He’ll give that team an edge.”

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/tex...-mates-say.ece

I loved the interview with Jenn after the game last night - thought he was hilarious. Really looked like he and Freddie were having a great time together when A. J. staved off the hug after he hit the bomb too. Most of the stuff people have mentioned came strictly from the end of his time in Boston, not exactly a place known for having a clubhouse full of "great guys" to begin with. I've read tons of things over the years where teammates have said (paraphrasing) "you REALLY hate him when he's in the other dugout, but you love having him in yours". FWIW, most of the stories I've read about bad clubhouse chemistry in Boston usually come from guys that are still there taking shots at guys who aren't and can't defend themselves so they don't appear to be at fault in any way.
    Last edited by clvclv; 04-09-2015 at 10:20 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

yeezus (04-09-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    "Jake Peavy, whose now famous duck boat purchase was inspired by Jonny Gomes, told the Boston Herald shortly after the Red Sox’ World Series celebration that he didn’t always view the outfielder in a positive light. In fact, he hated the guy. “He was literally the first person I saw when I walked into the clubhouse,” Peavy reportedly said of his first day in Boston. “And I have to say I didn’t have the fondest of thoughts in my head about Jonny Gomes. Just playing against him, I thought he was a lot of show. “I wasn’t crazy about him at all. But I soon found out he has this talent for bringing out the best in a team. When you don’t play with guys, you don’t get to know them.” Peavy got to know Gomes. Peavy’s teammates got to know Gomes. And Boston sure as hell got to know Gomes, whose passion and grit made him a fan favorite despite any preconceived notions. “I told them Jonny Gomes might be my favorite player in the big leagues,” Peavy said on Aug. 3 after an all-out effort from his once-hated teammate."

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/12/a-j-pierzyns...ten-overblown/

"Now, that catcher is gone, off to the Rangers. As Danks admitted, he will miss A.J. Pierzynski and his headstrong ways.

“You’re not out there alone when A.J. is behind the plate,” said Danks, the Rangers’ first-round draft choice in 2003. “He’s out there with you every step of the way. It’s real easy to trust A.J. because of his track record.

“You can say what you want about A.J. Sure, he has a reputation. But when it comes down to game time, he’s the guy you want out there with you. The Rangers got a winner in A.J.”

The “A.J. is a winner” line came up in every conversation with White Sox players and pitching coach Don Cooper on Wednesday. Pierzynski will do whatever he can to win, they said. He will take out a fielder with a hard slide, throw up a brick wall at the plate and harangue nonstop."

“The biggest thing I admire about A.J is that nobody wants to win worse than A.J.,” Peavy said. “He’s not real fond of the opposition, and I dig that. A.J. has that passion and desire to win. You can see that fire burning in him.

“People say he’s this and that; he gets voted most hated. But you want him on your team, because he is a winner. He’s going to be missed here, and he’s going to bring a lot to that Rangers team with his desire to win. He’ll give that team an edge.”

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/tex...-mates-say.ece

I loved the interview with Jenn after the game last night - thought he was hilarious. Really looked like he and Freddie were having a great time together when A. J. staved off the hug after he hit the bomb too. Most of the stuff people have mentioned came strictly from the end of his time in Boston, not exactly a place known for having a clubhouse full of "great guys" to begin with. I've read tons of things over the years where teammates have said (paraphrasing) "you REALLY hate him when he's in the other dugout, but you love having him in yours".
    People like to poke fun at the "grit" and "winner" crap, and I get it. But, it does matter - at least a little bit. Certainly doesn't hurt.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    To answer the question, I'm guessing he wasn't raised right.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    People like to poke fun at the "grit" and "winner" crap, and I get it. But, it does matter - at least a little bit. Certainly doesn't hurt.
    A. J. and Gomes are just two more of those guys that give you that "edge" - I personally loved both signings. I said several times that I'd love to see Varitek and Sheffield given jobs by the organization - they're cut out of the same mold - really don't give a *hit what the other team thinks of them because that's who they're trying to beat. Winning is what's important to them.

It's always struck me a little funny that people often say they loved guys like Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz for their "bulldog mentality" but hate guys like Gomes and A. J. for the same reason.
    Last edited by clvclv; 04-09-2015 at 10:30 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

57Brave (04-09-2015), ChapelHillMatt (04-09-2015)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    A. J. and Gomes are just two more of those guys that give you that "edge" - I personally loved both signings. I said several times that I'd love to see Varitek and Sheffield given jobs by the organization - they're cut out of the same mold - really don't give a *hit what the other team thinks of them because that's who they're trying to beat. Winning is what's important to them.

It's always struck me a little funny that people often say they loved guys like Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz for their "bulldog mentality" but hate guys like Gomes and A. J. for the same reason.
    Well, I think maybe some people appreciated those guys because they were vicious competitors, but had way more low-key on field personas. The more demonstrative you are on the field, the more opposing fans are probably going to dislike you.

I already hate Pierzynski less. But I'll turn the question around on you—why are those guys so awesome, and Chris Johnson is just a red-ass jerkoff?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Well, I think maybe some people appreciated those guys because they were vicious competitors, but had way more low-key on field personas. The more demonstrative you are on the field, the more opposing fans are probably going to dislike you.

I already hate Pierzynski less. But I'll turn the question around on you—why are those guys so awesome, and Chris Johnson is just a red-ass jerkoff?
    Johnson's antics never seem to be about "winning" as opposed to his personal disgust. Slamming helmets, beating up bat racks, throwing helmets in the direction of teammates. I don't personally hate Johnson either, I just wish his fire was more directed at helping the team get good results and less about himself. Every team needs some guys that play with passion, and do so openly. That's part of what I felt like we hadn't seen around here for several years - a little too much of the Fredi "we'll get 'em next time" mantra. The Manager is supposed to be like that in most cases - you can't get too down after every loss - but you don't need to appear to be OK with it, especially when you're a player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    All that matters is he is a definite upgrade over Gerald Laird.

Knowing it is only 2 games but for some reason, Bethancourt looks more fluid behind the plate and my opinion was last year he took pitches off.

My understanding the AJ signing was in part to mentor CB. A real good start IMHO is -- Play every pitch

23. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (04-09-2015)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Johnson's antics never seem to be about "winning" as opposed to his personal disgust. Slamming helmets, beating up bat racks, throwing helmets in the direction of teammates. I don't personally hate Johnson either, I just wish his fire was more directed at helping the team get good results and less about himself. Every team needs some guys that play with passion, and do so openly. That's part of what I felt like we hadn't seen around here for several years - a little too much of the Fredi "we'll get 'em next time" mantra. The Manager is supposed to be like that in most cases - you can't get too down after every loss - but you don't need to appear to be OK with it, especially when you're a player.

What you are describing about CJ is AJ to a T.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    In your opinion - certainly not the feeling I've ever had about watching him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Do players have similar things to say about CJ that they do AJ?
    I know you don't answer questions because you can't, but I'm curious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Does anyone else remember the game last season where Tehran was visably upset with Gattis' pitch calling. Tehran fell apart that night and Gattis started getting hurt and quit hitting and Fredi apologized for EG.

Catching in 2014 was horrific. Gattis - Laird and CB.

The Giants were none too sad to see AJ move on. He had a pretty good season for them too