Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: GDT: 4/12/15 BREAK OUT THE BROOMS (again!)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Clearly Martin is a superior pitcher to Jaime. It was top of the 6th with 2 outs and a runner on first base. Would you rather have Martin for 1 batter and then Jaime to get thru an entire inning or Jaime for one batter and Martin to get through an entire inning? I would go superior pitcher for 3 outs instead of 1.

Or, you could always double switch and bring someone in for Jace or Markakis; preferably Gosselin for Jace and have Martin get 4 batters out.

Fredi essentially just cries about the hand that is dealt to him (no Johnson or Avilan) instead of intelligently figuring out a way to manage the bullpen using the best arms that he has at his disposal. It's like he's incapable of thinking more than a batter ahead or thinking outside of the box.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-13-2015), Dalyn (04-13-2015), JohnAdcox (04-13-2015), Tapate50 (04-13-2015), UNCBlue012 (04-13-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    yep -- those were all possibilities.
    or even better he would have pulled Wood earlier -- or maybe started Pascual Perez -- sheeesh
    Jamie will be sent down or released which is what I think Bowman's point.

There were option issues that forced their hand on Jamie coming out of Spring Training.
    And it didnt work

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

TomahawkCult (04-14-2015)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    yep -- those were all possibilities.
    or even better he would have pulled Wood earlier -- or maybe started Pascual Perez -- sheeesh
    Jamie will be sent down or released which is what I think Bowman's point.

There were option issues that forced their hand on Jamie coming out of Spring Training.
    And it didnt work
    Jaime being on the team doesn't mean you need to use him in high leverage situations. There are plenty of low leverage situations to find him innings and save other guys.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Fredi always just follows the formula. That's why having bad pitchers/players on the roster is so dangerous with him - he will put them in high-leverage situations because that's just "what you do." Probably cost us a playoff series a couple years ago.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to holden For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-13-2015)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Jaime had an OK outing the 12-2 win in Miami: he walked Prado on 4 pitches, then settled down to pitch out the 9th. Fredi was probably hoping for the same, but it didn't pan out. Lesson learned, if one goes by Fredi's quote.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I don't see any "lesson learned" in his quote. I see "golly, gee, we just didn't have our good arms to use"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (04-13-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    I don't see any "lesson learned" in his quote. I see "golly, gee, we just didn't have our good arms to use"
    A common excuse from him since he took over. Nothing new.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Roger obviously thinks Jaime has a special arm and is trying to make a major league pitcher out of him. To do that you have to let a guy fail sometimes, even when you know he's going to for a while.

What's more predictable than the way Fredi/Roger handle pitchers, is the way some posters have to blame every loss on Fredi. Even though John Hart has supposedly ruined out chance of winning for years, each loss will still somehow be Fredi's fault.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

57Brave (04-13-2015), TomahawkCult (04-13-2015)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Markakis was brought in to provide a positive, stable, no-nonsense veteran presence to a young team. His stats and the length of contract are unimportant. He'll be traded away if/when his services are no longer needed.
    And to trade him away we'll have to give up a quality player or prospect to do so.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Roger obviously thinks Jaime has a special arm and is trying to make a major league pitcher out of him. To do that you have to let a guy fail sometimes, even when you know he's going to for a while.

What's more predictable than the way Fredi/Roger handle pitchers, is the way some posters have to blame every loss on Fredi. Even though John Hart has supposedly ruined out chance of winning for years, each loss will still somehow be Fredi's fault.

Well, he's only lost 1 game so far so I'm sure there will be some losses that won't be bc of bad decisions.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Fredi is a bad manager no matter how you spin it. Now, there are a lot of average to bad MLB decesion makers sitting in a managerial role, but Fredi is close to the absolutely most clueless I have ever seen as far as bullpen management and in game decesions that I have ever seen.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-13-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Except now he's gone, so...

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Unless offseason rules changes instituted the double substitution rule as in Slow Pitch softball - Martin was ineligible to reenter because he was pinch hit for by Kelly Johnson.

Guessing here had Martin hit for himself late in a tie game - well, you fill in the blank.
    Fredi bashing fr the sake of Fredi bashing is adorable
    I defend Fredi more than most but we had alot of guys on the bench we can double-switch.

With the exception of Freeman, Simmons, and i guess Markakis, he can pretty much double-switch alot late in games, but nope......

There was no reason to pitch Jaime there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Jaime is an MLB pitcher they thought might help. Fredi tried him in a leverage situation and it didnt work. In Miami he used him and it worked ---
    Apparently, McDowell,Tosca and Gonzalez saw reason and without the benefit of hindsight
    McDowell I think I read likes Jaime more so that the other two ---
    162 game season. Some things will work and others won't

Jaime DFA'd like Bowman said.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Whose closer in waiting now?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    For an extremely thin bullpen, you guys have found a magical way to assume there is actually correct way to circumnavigate the inevitable **** storms that are undoubtedly going to come.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Jaime being on the team doesn't mean you need to use him in high leverage situations. There are plenty of low leverage situations to find him innings and save other guys.
    He was used in a "low leverage" situation: Tuesday in Miami. Jaime walked one but got out of the inning unscathed. Game 6 of 162, especially having won the previous 5, is low leverage enough IMO to see what the back end of the bullpen can do when needed. Jaime didn't do the job Sunday and was DFAd (lesson learned). McKirahan came in and did quite well; maybe we'll get to see more of him soon to see what he can do.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomahawkCult View Post
    He was used in a "low leverage" situation: Tuesday in Miami. Jaime walked one but got out of the inning unscathed. Game 6 of 162, especially having won the previous 5, is low leverage enough IMO to see what the back end of the bullpen can do when needed. Jaime didn't do the job Sunday and was DFAd (lesson learned). McKirahan came in and did quite well; maybe we'll get to see more of him soon to see what he can do.
    This logic baffles me. So, he's thought of as a fringe guy; maybe you keep, maybe you cut. (which is obvious bc of 1 bad outing and he was cut). So, why does it make sense to go from high leverage use to DFA?

If this was a "test," they gave him a game sample test to see if he could handle the back end?

There are going to be situations over the course of the year that every reliever will be in a high leverage situation; you don't have to force the issue. My complain is Fredi could have easily used better relievers in that situation; yet the excuses he uses seem to imply he has not choice.