Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Jace hit?

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts

Will Jace hit?

So we've had a terrific start with some timely hitting, but I can't help but notice a number of key guys really aren't hitting much at all. This is not a big surprise. EY wasn't going to hit. As so many predicted, Markakis looks like a Judy hitter, though we probably ought to see more before declaring him a permanent bum.

Jace, after seeing him a few times this spring, I thought would hit. Sure, he had the brief unsuccessful cup of coffee in SD at the end of last year, but I watch Jace at the plate and everything looks solid, and he hit over .300 at every level coming up, he's just hitting .118. Compounding that, the Callaspo/Johnson platoon at third is working nicely, Gosselin only has one hit himself (of course, it won a game), and Peterson is playing fantastic defense at second, your metrics and my eyes agree....

So is this just an adjustment period? Will he figure it out? Or will his bat force him to utility status?

Playing the Waiting Game Krovahn's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Well, it has been five games. I also don't expect Evan Gattis to hit .000, or Adrian Gonzalez to hit .609 the rest of the year either. I say wait a few weeks and ask again if the answer isn't obvious at that point.

As far as our other options currently on the club it is Peterson, Callaspo, Gosselin, or KJ. Even if Jace can only manage to bat at BJ Upton levels he will/should still have a starting job on this team based on his defense alone; because, those other three are inferior players.

Edit: Anything is possible with Fredi making the lineups, though. This post is more based on logic.
    Last edited by Krovahn; 04-13-2015 at 09:11 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krovahn For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-13-2015), Hudson2 (04-13-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I think Jace will figure it out enough to warrant keeping him for his defense. I'm more worried about Freeman. 8 strikeouts, 0 walks. That's not a good sign.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

57Brave (04-13-2015), Braves1976 (04-13-2015), UNCBlue012 (04-13-2015)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Jace is a good utility option. So I would just let him grow and get as many at bats as possible this year. I don't think he will will be a terrible hitter, just a decent average, solid on base skills, no power guy.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (04-13-2015), 57Brave (04-13-2015), JohnAdcox (04-13-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krovahn View Post
    Well, it has been five games. I also don't expect Evan Gattis to hit .000, or Adrian Gonzalez to hit .609 the rest of the year either. I say wait a few weeks and ask again if the answer isn't obvious at that point.

As far as our other options currently on the club it is Peterson, Callaspo, Gosselin, or KJ. Even if Jace can only manage to bat at BJ Upton levels he will/should still have a starting job on this team based on his defense alone; because, those other three are inferior players.

Edit: Anything is possible with Fredi making the lineups, though. This post is more based on logic.
    Pre game radio show Fredi talked about he'd made up his mind to drop Peterson but was talked put of it by Tosca and Seitzer

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-13-2015), Hawk (04-13-2015), JohnAdcox (04-13-2015), Krovahn (04-13-2015), UNCBlue012 (04-13-2015), weso1 (04-13-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Pre game radio show Fredi talked about he'd made up his mind to drop Peterson but was talked put of it by Tosca and Seitzer

So that explains him just dropping him for a couple games while he decides. What a buffoon. It wouldn't be so bad if it meant everyone would just move up, but he would replace him with Simmons.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Garmel (04-13-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I already hold those two to a much higher regard than FG, just from that sentence.
    Ivermectin Man

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (04-13-2015), Braves1976 (04-13-2015), Dalyn (04-13-2015), JohnAdcox (04-13-2015)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    This year is about nothing if not figuring out what we're holding.

I think he's going to do ok, and I'd be content to keep running him out there unless he shows otherwise. So far, though, he hasn't looked like he's hitting into bad luck, just struggling a bit against regular season competition. Either way, he's only 6 games in.

Freddie's lack of walks is strange, considering that we're all forecasting a career high for him in that department. Nobody except Callaspo and Simmons are really stinging the ball right now.

This offense hasn't really been tested by top-flight starters yet. Still, it's hard to know much of anything after 20-30 ABs.

Playing the Waiting Game Krovahn's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    ... and that is going to make for a long year... because Fredi would prefer to play the lesser player, as always. :(

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Krovahn For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-13-2015)

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    I assume that means dropped lower in the order?

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Sampling issues are all around in the early parts of the season.

In short Peterson won't be this bad, but he won't be very good either.

Maybe as he gets settled he walks a bit more and Ks a bit less but I don't think that will change too much. That being said, no way his BABIP stays this low, no way does his power stay at 0.

I think with Peterson we're gonna see a lesser Tommy LaStella. Can't quite hit as well, but fields better.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Jace has looked really bad against LHed pitching the few ABs I have seen him have against them. He will likely have to be platooned more strictly with Goss. So far I think Fredi has done a decent (not good) job of balancing the platoon situations all over the field while not letting anyone sit so long they get rusty.

We all knew this offense was going to be bad, so despite the 5-1 record I don't think anybody should be surprised by all the poor hitting performances up and down the lineup. This offense is very bad, and the only way they will win is to have outstanding pitching and a few timely hits. That is exactly what has happened the first week of the season.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (04-13-2015)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Jace has looked really bad against LHed pitching the few ABs I have seen him have against them. He will likely have to be platooned more strictly with Goss. So far I think Fredi has done a decent (not good) job of balancing the platoon situations all over the field while not letting anyone sit so long they get rusty.

We all knew this offense was going to be bad, so despite the 5-1 record I don't think anybody should be surprised by all the poor hitting performances up and down the lineup. This offense is very bad, and the only way they will win is to have outstanding pitching and a few timely hits. That is exactly what has happened the first week of the season.
    Sampling issues of course, the thing I'm concerned about is Freddie not taking a walk and striking out once evert 3 trips to the plate. He's swinging at more pitches than he ever did over a full season and missing a lot more. WHich is a sign that he's pressing because of pressure. Hopefully he levels out.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post

I think he's going to do ok, and I'd be content to keep running him out there unless he shows otherwise. So far, though, he hasn't looked like he's hitting into bad luck, just struggling a bit against regular season competition. Either way, he's only 6 games in.

Freddie's lack of walks is strange, considering that we're all forecasting a career high for him in that department. Nobody except Callaspo and Simmons are really stinging the ball right now.

This offense hasn't really been tested by top-flight starters yet. Still, it's hard to know much of anything after 20-30 ABs.
    Freddie is crushing the ball. He's 4th in the majors in hard hit contact rate per Mark Simon.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Freddie is crushing the ball. He's 4th in the majors in hard hit contact rate per Mark Simon.
    I have no concerns about Freddie. I didn't include him with Callaspo and Simmons because of the 8 Ks in 25 ABs. He has tended to hit the ball hard when he has connected, though.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    But, the future of baseball is not striking out. And he's striking out.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (04-13-2015), zitothebrave (04-13-2015)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Sometimes you don't walk because you get great pitches to hit. Not concerned about Freeman. The offense in general has been great so far - putting the ball in play, taking advantage of bad defense, and good baserunning.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post

I can't even remember facing one top flight pitcher in general... We've avoided just about everyone so far

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Bartolo Colon -- not a sexy name but I'd consider a top flight pitcher

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Bartolo Colon -- not a sexy name but I'd consider a top flight pitcher