Thread: CBB Thread

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Great college PGs or pro PGs?
    I guess I am mixing them up a bit with that list.

I guess my point is that there haven't been that many elite PGs produced from college in the past few years. When there is one, he usually ends up with Cal. I think we were all spoiled a bit by getting John Wall in year one, fresh off Derek Rose and Tyreke Evans (doesn't belong with the other two, but he was regarded as an elite talent at the time) at Memphis. Wall and Rose were transcendent, once-in-a-generation type talents; they just happened to come two years apart. Brandon Knight was a worthy successor, but there really wasn't an elite PG the next year. I think Teague was the #1 PG in his class, and he certainly wasn't as good as the ones that came before. Harrow was regarded as better than anyone in the 2013 class (turned out to be not true, but he was a head case and ended up doing very well at Georgia State). And Andrew was the #1 PG last year.

Mudiay I guess was the top-ranked PG last year.. but he chose to go a different direction and the jury is still out on him. He wouldn't have come to UK had he known the twins were coming back anyway.

Briscoe and Newman seem to be the most highly regarded guards next year. I don't know them as well, but it seems like Briscoe is considered more of a PG type. He might be awesome, but I don't think he's in the Wall/Rose category.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Something giles and I will agree on: John Wall was unreal.

I've probably watched this video 500 times. I watched it so much in the summer of 2009 that I had it memorized. No other mixtape will ever compare.

If there is a high school mixtape hall of fame, this is a first-ballot, along with Lebron's and Kobe's.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Yes. When people reference high school mix tapes, this one always gets brought up.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    lol at talking about high school mix tapes.

Please keep the laughs coming.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    “If a bunch of them get drafted in the first round, maybe early second, that’s okay. We’re going to be ecstatic. We’re going to build a team that’s going to come back and I’d told Tyler, ‘let’s do the same thing.’ Why not? ‘Well, you can’t because you lost’–what?

This is Kentucky. We do whatever we want.

We may go out and have to sign a couple of more people. There are kids in the wings that we’re still involved with. They’re waiting to see how many of these kids leave. I gave them..There’s an idea, it’s gonna be a lot. And I’m happy about that. I’m happy.”

lol. I know people won't like it, but I love Coach Cal.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Guarantee Cal forces his kids out of the way. He honestly doesn't care what happens to his former players. As long as he has room to bring on more recruits is all that matters.

And Kentucky fans love him? Such a great message and he's an awesome mentor too.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holden View Post
    “If a bunch of them get drafted in the first round, maybe early second, that’s okay. We’re going to be ecstatic. We’re going to build a team that’s going to come back and I’d told Tyler, ‘let’s do the same thing.’ Why not? ‘Well, you can’t because you lost’–what?

This is Kentucky. We do whatever we want.

We may go out and have to sign a couple of more people. There are kids in the wings that we’re still involved with. They’re waiting to see how many of these kids leave. I gave them..There’s an idea, it’s gonna be a lot. And I’m happy about that. I’m happy.”

lol. I know people won't like it, but I love Coach Cal.
    Can you translate?

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    He's a nut, basically. He's saying that even though we're losing 7 people to the draft, we'll still be good next year because we can just reload. He's saying he's going to build a team around Ulis.

I just love the bravado of saying "This is Kentucky. We do whatever we want."

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    26 UK players to the draft in the past 5 years.

That's insane.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    It is nuts.

I do wonder how he would do if he mixed in a few 3-4 year players in the mix. Obviously, he's going to get the best recruits and part of the reason why is they know they will play from day 1. And it's hard to argue with the results........but, what if he used 1-2 schollys on 3 star guys that may stay the full 4 years? Now, I'm sure that takes a heckuva coaching effort to get junior and seniors to defer to 5 star freshman.....

This upcoming year might be pretty tough on him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Mark Cuban is spot on. College basketball is awful.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    It is nuts.

I do wonder how he would do if he mixed in a few 3-4 year players in the mix. Obviously, he's going to get the best recruits and part of the reason why is they know they will play from day 1. And it's hard to argue with the results........but, what if he used 1-2 schollys on 3 star guys that may stay the full 4 years? Now, I'm sure that takes a heckuva coaching effort to get junior and seniors to defer to 5 star freshman.....

This upcoming year might be pretty tough on him.
    I think he has started doing that a little more actually, after the debacle in 2013. Ulis fits that mold. Marcus Lee as well. Also have Derek Willis, Dominique Hawkins (who are actually quite good but weren't going to play for 2015 Kentucky).

I agree that it's a good practice, and Cal I think is starting to do it more. But to be fair, no one expected Devin Booker to become a lottery pick either.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I actually pretty much agree entirely with what he said, especially the first paragraph. The NCAA needs to change some things, particularly in how the game is officiated.

“If they want to keep kids in school and keep them from being pro players, they’re doing it the exact right way by having the 35-second shot clock and having the game look and officiated the way it is,” Cuban said Wednesday night. “Just because kids don’t know how to play a full game of basketball.

“You’ve got three kids passing on the perimeter. With 10 seconds on the shot clock, they try to make something happen and two other kids stand around. They don’t look for anything and then run back on defense, so there’s no transition game because two out of five or three out of five or in some cases four out of five kids aren’t involved in the play.

“It’s uglier than ugly, and it’s evidenced by the scoring going down. When the NBA went through that, we changed things.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Its spot on. I LOVE LOVE LOVE basketball but I just can't stand to watch the college game.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    You heard Dan Patrick today too?

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    College basketball is about camaraderie and teams. Cal and others are ruining the sport. As a college coach you are supposed to be a mentor and coach to the kids on your team. Cal belongs in the NBA.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    College basketball is beautiful, but I do agree that I'd like to see some changes; mainly the shot clock go down to 30 seconds and less timeouts (won't happen). The emotion in college basketball between fans and players (fellow students and graduates) isn't matched in professional basketball. And almost anyone that has gone to college at a basketball program would rather watch/support the college game. The attendance is outstanding.

His garbage about 3 kids passing around the perimeter is dumb. While college teams hold the ball, it's more due to too much control by coaches and wanting good shots. That criticism is akin to non-NBA fans saying NBA players play no defense and it's only a 1v1 game . Or back in the day when it was only an Iso game. Part of the reason for the slow play is also inferior teams have to do it to have a chance...which happens to make it fun that a small school in the Midwest can take on UCLA.

IMO, the college game will always be better, but I would like to see minor tweaks. (lower shot clock, less charges, expanding the lane, less grabbing)

Also, Geno is a moron. The womens game had a team favored by 30 points in the final four. Why doesn't he worry about his own game? I tried watching womens basketball and couldn't stand it.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Okafor and Winslow going pro, not a huge surprise, hopefully Tyus joins.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Caleb Swanigan commits to MSU!

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Caleb Swanigan commits to MSU!
    Big pickup for yall, hope get Jaylen or Ingram but the NCAA wants to **** us over so probably not.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (04-10-2015)