Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DOTW 7/31/13: DH in the NL?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts

DOTW 7/31/13: DH in the NL?

I think we may have already had this debate a while ago on the other new board, but now that we have more people over here I figured maybe we could talk about it again.

So, should the NL adopt the DH or not? Gattis would be one hell of a DH for us.
    thank you weso1!

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I hope they announce it soon like the next couple years.

Having Mac and Gattis in the lineup most of the time would be pretty awesome.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory BlackwaterPark's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    I am 50/50. Part of me loves seeing it when they have big hits and HRs. Part of me likes an easier out. But I really hate seeing pitchers hurt and careers ended due to to it like Wang for the most part had his ended.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Given the amount of extra hitters we have, and that we can't bunt, and that we're managed like an AL team anyway, I'd say it'd be good for us.

I don't have a strong opinion one way or another. I say I'd prefer the pitcher hit. But either way, I think it needs to be uniform across MLB.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I was dead set against it for a long time, but I am coming around.

It is so prevalent at every level that it has really become part of the game. The kids grow up with it in Youth Leagues and High School and College. Most minor leagues use it as well. The NL is kind of like the final holdout. For most of these leagues it is a way to get one more kid into the lineup, but everyone is so attuned to it that is has become part of the game.

I am to the point where I would not object to it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

tululush (08-02-2013)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I think it's bound to happen. I still like the idea of "home team option" across all of baseball.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Either it will be in both or it will be dropped by the AL. After Selig goes out and subsequent CBAs it will be a negotiating point for the MLBPA and a counter point for MLB which will be looking for a salary cap. IMO. The TV money is just getting too big and corporate owners will be driving hard for the cap.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Nope. Don't need it, don't want it. There used to be a charm about the game of baseball that has completely erroded over the last 30 yrs or so. PEDs leading to false records are a big part of that, but another has been baseball's unecessary need to modernize itself. Interleague play, the All-Star game fiasco but this is one thing that doesn't need to change. I have no interest in watching 4+ hour ballgames every night. I think its great when you see a pitcher get a big hit to win the game it's just a lot more fun. There are enough traditionalists left that I think there is chance it won't happen. It almost happened in the early '80s and failed all because Phillies ownership was fishing and couldn't be reached. I would be interested to know if we had a board poll how the vote would break down and how it would break down by age. I would venture a guess that the majority of the yes votes would come from folks too young to remember baseball before interleague.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Agree with the above somewhat, but I think the trend is toward it being in both leagues rather than out of it altogether.

Also, I vote interleague be the next topic of conversation because I definitely have issues with that.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Nope. Don't need it, don't want it. There used to be a charm about the game of baseball that has completely erroded over the last 30 yrs or so. PEDs leading to false records are a big part of that, but another has been baseball's unecessary need to modernize itself. Interleague play, the All-Star game fiasco but this is one thing that doesn't need to change. I have no interest in watching 4+ hour ballgames every night. I think its great when you see a pitcher get a big hit to win the game it's just a lot more fun. There are enough traditionalists left that I think there is chance it won't happen. It almost happened in the early '80s and failed all because Phillies ownership was fishing and couldn't be reached. I would be interested to know if we had a board poll how the vote would break down and how it would break down by age. I would venture a guess that the majority of the yes votes would come from folks too young to remember baseball before interleague.
    In principle I agree. You want more offense in baseball? Make tin-gloved hogs like David Ortiz play in the field.

I just think the die is cast.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (07-31-2013), CyYoung31 (07-31-2013), JohnAdcox (07-31-2013)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    My answer to that would be, We've done it this way for 40 yrs. Why all of sudden does this have to change? The competitive imbalance myth? The NL has won what, five WS titles since 2006? I just don't see the answer to the why question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    I would imagine there'd be more competitive imbalance from a free agency and trade market standpoint than a playoff standpoint.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Like others, I have always been against it. However, now I am for it. I have never understood why there was one in the American league and not the National.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    One thing that might get me to stop watching baseball is if they institute the DH in the NL. I like all forms of baseball, but the game is at its best in the National League. I feel that some of the people that find baseball boring do so because they're subject to too many 4+ hour Yankees and Red Sox affairs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I was 100% against it until Gattis came along. Now I'm 100% for it.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I don't care one way or the other. I just want it to be consistent. Prefer the NL style of play.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    The Braves won't have need for the DH next year anyway. Mac will be somewhere else.

Scripps National Spelling Bee Finalist elmonthc's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Saw the little piece espn did on it. Braves were one of the teams that voted yes all those years ago. I dont want the dh in the nl.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    I don't want the DH either. I hate it. I hate the very idea of it. It's almost the very antithesis of baseball; it removes the strategic element from the thinking man's game. That said, it think it's inevitable. In fact, I think it's going to happen soon. See, MLB is going to want to institute stricter drug testing and much harsher penalties. There will be tremendous pressure on the players' union to accept it. They will feel that they need to get something in return to save face. This could very well be the bargaining chip.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    I don't like the DH either, but I would like the NL to go to it. Every little bit to keep pitchers from getting hurt helps in my eyes. Plus there would have been a chance Chipper would have hung around a little longer if the NL had the DH.