Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DOTW 7/31/13: DH in the NL?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Don't think the Braves will ever learn how to play small ball again, so I am for it.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elmonthc View Post
    Saw the little piece espn did on it. Braves were one of the teams that voted yes all those years ago. I dont want the dh in the nl.
    Iam assuming Turner was the owner when the DH came to a vote. I can see Ted wanting it as a means to generate more income. Especially since he need the money to finish buying Nebraska and Argentina.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    If they bring it to the NL, id like to see a rule where no player can have more than 200 ab's a yr as a DH. The DH should be used for giving a guy a day off in the field but having his bat in the lineup...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chopdrew For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-31-2013)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopdrew View Post
    If they bring it to the NL, id like to see a rule where no player can have more than 200 ab's a yr as a DH. The DH should be used for giving a guy a day off in the field but having his bat in the lineup...
    I prefer a home-team option, but I could go along with something like this as well.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    The real PawPaw Maxwell told me (and others) something when I was 16 years old. "Enjoy the game, enjoy life".

Baseball with the DH is not "the game" IMO and therefore not as enjoyable. Purely for entertainment, and enjoyable as such but it is not part of the game I grew up with.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    I don't like the DH either, but I would like the NL to go to it. Every little bit to keep pitchers from getting hurt helps in my eyes. Plus there would have been a chance Chipper would have hung around a little longer if the NL had the DH.
    Chipper is gone...time to move on. Pitchers already get treated with kid gloves. Love the name on the front of the jersey not the back...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VirginiaBrave For This Useful Post:

PawPawMaxwell (07-31-2013)

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    I'm tired of watching pitchers bat. The sport needs to evolve and let pitchers be just what they are.

It's one sport, there should be 1 set of rules.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Baseball is the only professional sport in the world where it has two different rules for its 2 divisions! Really?! Tell me MLB isn't screwed up. Does the NBA allow the 3 point shot in the Western division but not the Eastern? Does the NFL allow 2 point conversions in the AFC but not the NFC? MLB has to have one rule for both.

Now, I prefer no DH due to the strategy and 'old school' tradition of it. If a player plays baseball, he should throw/pitch, field AND hit, not be allowed to skip 1 or 2 parts of it because he's good at just 1 part of it.

On the other hand, it's gonna sukk if the DH is put in now after Chipper has retired and BMac probably gone. And if the Player's Union frets, I say, instead of putting in the DH, just expand MLB rosters by 1 or 2 players so teams can still employ these 'all hit/ no glove' guys that seem to end up as a professional DH.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I'm for it. There is no way the AL ever gets rid of it (the MLBPA would never allow it) and I think that gives them a major advantage in signing players like BMac. they can keep him healthy longer by moving him to DH. It also allows a player to extend their career. MLB definitely needs just one set of rules and the only way of doing that is to adopt the DH (I personally would love to see it happen this year so we can keep gattis and mccann).
    I wouldn't be against a rule limiting DHs to a certain number of AB/games per year. This would keep a little of the players need to both hit and field. But I don't like to watch pitchers hit either. Why should we have an automatic (or close to it) out in the NL just for the sake of letting the pitcher hit.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ant0288 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (08-02-2013)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ant0288 View Post
    I'm for it. There is no way the AL ever gets rid of it (the MLBPA would never allow it) and I think that gives them a major advantage in signing players like BMac. they can keep him healthy longer by moving him to DH. It also allows a player to extend their career. MLB definitely needs just one set of rules and the only way of doing that is to adopt the DH (I personally would love to see it happen this year so we can keep gattis and mccann).
    I wouldn't be against a rule limiting DHs to a certain number of AB/games per year. This would keep a little of the players need to both hit and field. But I don't like to watch pitchers hit either. Why should we have an automatic (or close to it) out in the NL just for the sake of letting the pitcher hit.

Great first post and welcome to the board.
    Forever Fredi

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    New modified DH for both leagues. 300 PA max at DH.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    I would support it if the discussion was last year and we could get Chipper to play 2-3 more years. That guy could hit in a wheelchair!

Seriously, I'm a younger guy (I'm 32) but I am a purist. Leave the DH out of the NL, and while you're at it, stop this stupid home field advantage thing for the ASG. It is ridiculous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    I'm 52 years old and have watched alot of baseball over the years. I still like the "old school" way of doing things, but things change. In my mind, once we went to an interleague series being played every night somewhere, this becomes a bigger point. I wouldn't actively advocate adding the DH, but if they were to add it, I would not be as upset as I would have been a couple of years ago.

But MLB and the union need to decide on one and make it apply for both leagues.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    By the way, our DH's have RBI's the last couple games. Conclusive proof the DH has no place in the NL...