Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: GDT 4/23 1:30pm

Playing the Waiting Game Krovahn's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    It's a good rule, though I don't always like the way it's currently called.

You can't block any other base without having the ball, so I've always felt it was dumb that at the plate suddenly a catcher can just lay down in front. What I don't like is when a catcher is technically in front of the plate but still gets the ball well before the runner is there and they call it anyway. It should only come into play when the catcher is there before the ball as the runner is making a slide or attempt at the plate.

This one was a little borderline because he was standing slightly in from of the plate but there was still room to slide under him. Still ok with it, though. Again, you can't do that at any other base.

If you want to go back to being able to block but also being able to truck the catcher, fine. But they're never again going to allow that, so you have to have this rule. Otherwise you have a situation where catchers can block and the runner has to try to simply go around. If AJ can't run over him, then he can't be there.
    I know where it is coming for and why it is there; I just don't agree that it should be there. It was fine for 100+ years and players, especially catchers knew what they were signing up for. There is danger in the play; but IMO it is one of the most exciting plays in baseball.

It is what it is, though.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Fredi on Tehran: "He just looks a little lost out there, someone said his knee hurt, I didn't see it, so it shook him a little, lost his confidence. That's good. You don't know how a player will handle adversity until he has to deal with it, this is his first little hiccup up here and he's not getting it done. He needs to get tougher, stronger, better and work through it instead of fighting it. We'll run him out there in 5 days and see what he's got."

Fredi on Gomes vs righties: "We don't know what we got until it is proven what he is capable of. Up until this point, we didn't know, and we still don't know, so we'll throw him out there on occasion and see what happens. You never know."
    I mean this should be all that needs to be said for those that don't think Fredi is clueless. The fact is that we do know what Gomes can do against righties and that's not much. As far as JT goes. Just wow. Good job calling him out in public when he has a bum knee and says he needs to get tougher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I mean this should be all that needs to be said for those that don't think Fredi is clueless. The fact is that we do know what Gomes can do against righties and that's not much. As far as JT goes. Just wow. Good job calling him out in public when he has a bum knee and says he needs to get tougher.
    Fredi didn't actually say those things. Millwood just likes to make up quotes.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Fredi didn't actually say those things. Millwood just likes to make up quotes.
    How do we know this?

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I would like to know what he said if he was asked about JT's knee, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I would like to know what he said if he was asked about JT's knee, though.

PS: Fredi wouldn't say that but he sure has the "no mercy" part down regardless.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (04-23-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    BTW, Juan Jaime is still around as it comes as no surprise that he cleared waivers and sent outright to Gwinnett Braves.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    BTW, Juan Jaime is still around as it comes as no surprise that he cleared waivers and sent outright to Gwinnett Braves.
    Sweet, guess he's still our future closer.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-24-2015)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I bit once on Millwood's bogus quotes. Never again.