Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Deadline Day

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    The Phils aren't that far off from being a great team and Utley is a cornerstone. It would be like the Braves trading Chipper. I would have certainly traded Young if he would accept, but he really limited them.
    How are the Phillies close to being a great team? I'm curious what you see in them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    How are the Phillies close to being a great team? I'm curious what you see in them.
    Phillies are done. The Braves biggest threat in the next few years will be the Nats (because of their money) and the Mets (because of their pitching).
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Phillies are done. The Braves biggest threat in the next few years will be the Nats (because of their money) and the Mets (because of their pitching).
    And their money. Once they get a young core built up, they're going to start buying superstars in free agency to fill the rest of the holes, as they should. Let's just hope they are still as bad with their FA signings as they have been in the past.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    And their money. Once they get a young core built up, they're going to start buying superstars in free agency to fill the rest of the holes, as they should. Let's just hope they are still as bad with their FA signings as they have been in the past.
    I think there front office is much smarter. Omar was great from the scouting side but as a top guy he was not good to say the least.

The Mets are going to be scary though. While not as good as Harvey (not a diss), Wheeler is a damn good pitcher. His fastball is legit. Syndegard is a top 5 pitching prospect in all of baseball and is still a baby. Then they have a bunch of other candidates to fill out the rest of the rotation. I think they will win 85 games next year. There aren't many solid FA's and they need offense. The good thing is that Wright will decline hopefully in the next 2-3 years so they won't have all this pitching in top form with him in his prime.

Either way, the Braves are loaded as well. Should be a lot of fun.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Can someone explain to me why every team in the league wouldn't make that trade for Kennedy? How does that improve Arizona?
    Grit.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frek21 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-01-2013)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,011 Posts
    Phils are hardly done. They still have money to spend and you can bet they will spend it. Brown is their new Howard. He's going to be a thorn in our side for awhile. They're a borderline .500 team this yr with Halladay out and Hamels having an off yr. They're going to stick around awhile.

I'm with those that say the Nats are/were overrated. Offense aside from Harper and Desmond isn't all that terrific. Zimmerman isn't the offense stud they thought he was. They missed their opportunity last yr when they sat Strasburg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Phils are hardly done. They still have money to spend and you can bet they will spend it. Brown is their new Howard. He's going to be a thorn in our side for awhile. They're a borderline .500 team this yr with Halladay out and Hamels having an off yr. They're going to stick around awhile.

I'm with those that say the Nats are/were overrated. Offense aside from Harper and Desmond isn't all that terrific. Zimmerman isn't the offense stud they thought he was. They missed their opportunity last yr when they sat Strasburg
    Cliff Lee is not going to get better. If anything he is going to get wrose. Is Halladay ever going to be a factor again? The guy is not young. The Phillies were great in the late 2000's because of Utley/Howard/Rollins in their prime and getting super lucky with Werth. They don't have it anymore and will need to tear it down and rebuild. They have money but that doesn't assure you anything.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    I agree that the Phillies are done. If they make the right moves, sure, they could be very good again but thats the case for a lot of teams. I dont see Phillies competiting again until the blow up that roster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts
    Yeah. Phillies are done. Howard, Ruiz, Utley and Rollins are all gone or in their declining years. They don't have much of a farm system. And they have one of the dumber GMs.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

thethe (08-01-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Yeah. Phillies are done. Howard, Ruiz, Utley and Rollins are all gone or in their declining years. They don't have much of a farm system. And they have one of the dumber GMs.
    I don't even see how its debatable.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    I think there front office is much smarter. Omar was great from the scouting side but as a top guy he was not good to say the least.

The Mets are going to be scary though. While not as good as Harvey (not a diss), Wheeler is a damn good pitcher. His fastball is legit. Syndegard is a top 5 pitching prospect in all of baseball and is still a baby. Then they have a bunch of other candidates to fill out the rest of the rotation. I think they will win 85 games next year. There aren't many solid FA's and they need offense. The good thing is that Wright will decline hopefully in the next 2-3 years so they won't have all this pitching in top form with him in his prime.

Either way, the Braves are loaded as well. Should be a lot of fun.
    I still don't agree with you on the Mets. The odds that all of these guys pan out and become aces is slim. I wouldn't be surprised if Harvey eventually regressed either. What he's doing right now is historical, and his minor league track record just doesn't back it up (ceiling was supposed to be of a 2). They don't have the pieces in their minors on the hitting side either, and a lot of holes to fill in that lineup. Ike Davis not panning out is a big blow to them, and Wright is hitting 30 now. Plus, their decisions in throwing money at top free agent hitters usually do not turn out well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tlroom112 View Post
    I still don't agree with you on the Mets. The odds that all of these guys pan out and become aces is slim. I wouldn't be surprised if Harvey eventually regressed either. What he's doing right now is historical, and his minor league track record just doesn't back it up (ceiling was supposed to be of a 2). They don't have the pieces in their minors on the hitting side either, and a lot of holes to fill in that lineup. Ike Davis not panning out is a big blow to them, and Wright is hitting 30 now. Plus, their decisions in throwing money at top free agent hitters usually do not turn out well.
    Their decisions int he past have nothign to do with current front office. They have a bunch of smart guys over there and they haven't shown any track record with the Mets to go on.

I hope you don't find this offensive but have you seen Harvey pitch? I don't care what his minor league projections were...that guy has arguably the best stuff in baseball. He is a legit ace and will be that way for the next 10 years if healthy. He holds his velocity into the 7th & 8th innings. If you haven't seen him pitch then I suggest you do because its a beautiful thing.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Hamels is 29 and is clearly an Ace.

Not sure what Halladay has left, he's clearly a question mark. Lee is cruising along at age 34....funny people weren't saying Hudson was done at 34 or 35 or 36 (except me and maybe 1-2 others)

Petibone appears to be a guy that will be in the majors for a long time. They also have a couple good arms in Biddle and Morgan that are close.

A lot of their prospects are major league ready or close. They do not have as many holes as people make it out to seem. They have guys like Ruif (38 hrs last year) and Asche that seem ready to be everyday contributors. Dom Brown finally realized his potential. They have money to spend. They are probably looking for 2 pieces this offseason, C and LF/RF. (Ruif playing OF is possible). What if they sign Brian McCann?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Their decisions int he past have nothign to do with current front office. They have a bunch of smart guys over there and they haven't shown any track record with the Mets to go on.

I hope you don't find this offensive but have you seen Harvey pitch? I don't care what his minor league projections were...that guy has arguably the best stuff in baseball. He is a legit ace and will be that way for the next 10 years if healthy. He holds his velocity into the 7th & 8th innings. If you haven't seen him pitch then I suggest you do because its a beautiful thing.
    I live in NYC, of course I've seen him pitch. I know the stuff is amazing. I'm still just baffled that he got this good, doesn't make sense to me because I follow prospecting very closely and you don't usually see people flat out going way above their expected ceiling. I mean "ceiling" absolute best case scenario was a number 2 starter.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    thethe is even a Mets homer!

They have Harvey...and two guys that have a chance to be pretty good (wheeler is more of a 2/3 starter; Syndergaard is still a ways off)

And Wright with a chance of D'Arnaud being good.

What else?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,543 Posts

They have Harvey...and two guys that have a chance to be pretty good (wheeler is more of a 2/3 starter; Syndergaard is still a ways off)

What else?
    With the Mets, I think a lot turns on finances. How they use the money freed up by the Bay and Santana contracts. The extent to which Wilpon has been damaged by the Madoff saga.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

Not sure what Halladay has left, he's clearly a question mark. Lee is cruising along at age 34....funny people weren't saying Hudson was done at 34 or 35 or 36 (except me and maybe 1-2 others)

Petibone appears to be a guy that will be in the majors for a long time. They also have a couple good arms in Biddle and Morgan that are close.

A lot of their prospects are major league ready or close. They do not have as many holes as people make it out to seem. They have guys like Ruif (38 hrs last year) and Asche that seem ready to be everyday contributors. Dom Brown finally realized his potential. They have money to spend. They are probably looking for 2 pieces this offseason, C and LF/RF. (Ruif playing OF is possible). What if they sign Brian McCann?
    They need more than just McCann.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,906 Posts

What else?
    How far off is Syndegard really? He is doing very well at AA. He could be in the bigs by June next year. Niese is a solid middle to back end of the rotation starter. Dillon Gee is a good #5. They have Montero/Mejia and some other lesser known arms that are doing well.

I have recognized that their offense is tough right now but when you have the top end arms like they have you are going to be good. Thats why the Braves are good. They have two near aces (Minor/Tehearn) and a host of other 2/3 type pitchers with a guy like Alex Wood who could be slightly better.

Harvey is one of the top 3 pitchers in baseball. Wheeler is aboslutely legit. At worst I see him being a very good #3 but will probably be a borderline ace. I don't know how good Syndergard is but the reports are glowing and the results are even better. The mets are flowing with arms and that is what made the Braves so good the last few years.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    With the Mets, I think a lot turns on finances. How they use the money freed up by the Bay and Santana contracts. The extent to which Wilpon has been damaged by the Madoff saga.
    The Madoff stuff is supposedly behind them. The Mets have the potential to be extremely profitable. The fanbase is re-energized becuase of Harvey/Wheeler. They will start to spend money when the players out there are worth it.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,906 Posts

Yes, Hamels is an ace and Lee will still be good but he won't be the Lee of 2 years ago. Petibone is a back of the rotation type guy. Its funny that Ruf is good but Gattis was a nobody coming into this year.

phillies are done.
    Natural Immunity Croc