Thread: 4/26/15 MINORS FINAL: Grim news from Rome

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Sigh
    thethe said it, I didn't (nor did I intend to make any point outside of Jenkins). My point is that they Braves are seemingly being pretty aggressive with Jenkins and that surprises me a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    We are fooling ourselves if we don't think that Jenkins is going to be under the microscope more than a regular prospect by some fans around here. Its just hte way it is.

We are all still mad Heyward was traded.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    In an ideal world, I would want this:
    Folty - SP in Atlanta
    Wisler - SP in Atlanta
    Banuelos - SP depth
    Hursh - bullpen in Atlanta

That way, we would have Jenkins, Sims, and anyone else as potential trade pieces. Of course, inevitably there will be an injury or someone not panning out.

But you also have Fried, who could bump somebody like Wisler into a trade piece if he comes back and progresses.

A 2017 rotation of Teheran, Wood, Folty, Miller, and Wisler, with Banuelos as depth and Fried as a potential late-season addition would be amazing.
    Last edited by smootness; 04-27-2015 at 01:36 PM.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    We are fooling ourselves if we don't think that Jenkins is going to be under the microscope more than a regular prospect by some fans around here. Its just hte way it is.

We are all still mad Heyward was traded.
    I want more than anyone for Jenkins to be a stud, then I can swallow the Heyward trade much easier.

But he just doesn't seem to have the dominant stuff to be that stud.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    In an ideal world, I would want this:
    Folty - SP in Atlanta
    Wisler - SP in Atlanta
    Banuelos - SP depth
    Hursh - bullpen in Atlanta

That way, we would have Jenkins, Sims, and anyone else as potential trade pieces. Of course, inevitably there will be an injury or someone not panning out.

But you also have Fried, who could bump somebody like Wisler into a trade piece if he comes back and progresses.

A 2017 rotation of Teheran, Wood, Folty, Miller, and Wisler, with Banuelos as depth and Fried as a potential late-season addition would be amazing.
    We need to remember what it cost to get Justin Upton. If we want a hitter of that caliber on a team friendly contract, the deal would have to include a solid major leaguer player (such as Prado) and a Top 50 prospect (such as Delgado). So who is going to be the "spare" pitching prospect who would be the equivalent of a Delgado after the 2016 season?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-27-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I want more than anyone for Jenkins to be a stud, then I can swallow the Heyward trade much easier.

But he just doesn't seem to have the dominant stuff to be that stud.
    He wouldn't be the first "stud" that didn't strike people out in the minors.

By all accounts he does have excellent stuff, but it hasn't translated to strike outs yet (although it has translated to effectiveness). I think the jury is still out on Jenkins.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (04-27-2015), thethe (04-27-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We need to remember what it cost to get Justin Upton. If we want a hitter of that caliber on a team friendly contract, the deal would have to include a solid major leaguer player (such as Prado) and a Top 50 prospect (such as Delgado). So who is going to be the "spare" pitching prospect who would be the equivalent of a Delgado after the 2016 season?
    Alex Wood I think is going to be a guy who is traded for an impact bat.

Then you could still have Teheran/Miller/Folty/Wisler/Fried/Banuelos/Sims/Perez/etc plus a veteran in there to fill out the rotation.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Oh yeah, and you know the Braves are going to draft a bunch of pitching in this years draft and 1-2 will be a legit starting pitching prospect (anywhere from a 2-5).
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    He wouldn't be the first "stud" that didn't strike people out in the minors.

By all accounts he does have excellent stuff, but it hasn't translated to strike outs yet (although it has translated to effectiveness). I think the jury is still out on Jenkins.
    Plus the kid is still really learning his craft. He doesn't have the amount of innings a typical AA pitcher would have at this point. The fact that he is getting guys out is certainly encouraging.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    We have a few guys who could be in or near that top 50 range, Jenkins being one. Also Sanchez, Fried, Sims.

But count me completely out on trading Wood. I think he has the most potential of anybody on the team or in the system, so that would be a massive no in my eyes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    We have a few guys who could be in or near that top 50 range, Jenkins being one. Also Sanchez, Fried, Sims.
    Maybe, but right now Wisler and Foltynewicz are the only ones in the Top 100 or even close to it. A lot of things would have to break our way (including the absence of injuries) for us to have the kind of extra pitcher that could net us a top hitter.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-27-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Maybe, but right now Wisler and Foltynewicz are the only ones in the Top 100 or even close to it. A lot of things would have to break our way (including the absence of injuries) for us to have the kind of extra pitcher that could net us a top hitter.
    If you would stop jinxing them into TJ surgery on the MILB box scores then the skys the limit!

I am kidding of course.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    No, Fried is close, just needs to prove he's back next year after his recovery.

Jenkins is also highly thought-of, especially after what he did in the AFL. The Ks may keep him from that level as a prospect, but if he improves that K rate, he could fly up prospect boards.

And Sanchez was already the Angels' #1 or 2 guy. At 18, he could certainly get to that level. Sims can get there but may be the least likely at this point.

The Braves have done a good job of adding guys who are on the verge of seeing their stock soar. The odds that 1 or 2 get there are actually pretty high.

And I'm not saying we'll be able to add a big-time hitter. The DBacks were stupid in that trade. But we should be able to flip some pitching for a couple of decent bats if we want, at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Alex Wood I think is going to be a guy who is traded for an impact bat.

Then you could still have Teheran/Miller/Folty/Wisler/Fried/Banuelos/Sims/Perez/etc plus a veteran in there to fill out the rotation.
    If the goal is to win by 2017, then you build around Wood, Teheran and Miller and trade one of the top prospect pitchers.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (04-27-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts

But count me completely out on trading Wood. I think he has the most potential of anybody on the team or in the system, so that would be a massive no in my eyes.
    Yep, I actually wrote that it was a stupid idea at first but edited my post not wanting to come off as picking a fight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    If the goal is to win by 2017, then you build around Wood, Teheran and Miller and trade one of the top prospect pitchers.
    Or with Miller developing into a top of the rotation arm you complete the lineup by getting that impact bat we sorely need to protect Freddie.

Lots of ways to go about this. If these pitching prospects develop (specifically Folty) then you can afford to deal from our strength.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I'm not as high on Wood as others, but he's here and ready. If 2017 is the goal, you really can't move him.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-27-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I'd try to trade one of them in such a trade for an impact bat.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Or with Miller developing into a top of the rotation arm you complete the lineup by getting that impact bat we sorely need to protect Freddie.

Lots of ways to go about this. If these pitching prospects develop (specifically Folty) then you can afford to deal from our strength.
    Miller won't be a TOR guy. Or at least he has far less chance of becoming that than Wood.

Wood, Teheran, and Miller is a great start to a rotation. If Folty comes along, that is a potentially great 1-4. But I would consider Miller the 4.

If you take Wood out, then Teheran and Miller is much less formidable as the known quantities. You would have to have Folty, Wisler, and somebody else all hit or else now you have only a good rotation instead of a great one.

I mean, adding Banuelos, Sims, or Perez suddenly gives you that guy plus Miller and Wisler as guys that are really 3s or lower and only Teheran and Folty (and only if he realizes all his potential) as top 2 guys.

Give me a 1, two 2s and two 3s (or at least three 2s and three 3s) over two 2s, two 3s, and a 4 or 5 all day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I've always been of the belief that you spend big money on hitting and continually develop pitching. By the time 2017 is coming Alex Wood will start to get expensive and if you could get an impact bat with cheaper cost controlled arms behind then thats the way to go. Nothing worse than having a 10+ million dollar investment being on the shelf for 18 months.
    Natural Immunity Croc