Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 4/26/15 MINORS FINAL: Grim news from Rome

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Locking up Wood is scary. His motion is a red flag. He's had one TJ already...so if he goes that route he's a two timer TJ.

I'd trade Wood in a heart beat if I got a similar position player (non 1B or SS).
    That is the same argument that made him fall in the draft, I am glad it didn't make us pass on him then and I wouldn't trade him now because of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    That is the same argument that made him fall in the draft, I am glad it didn't make us pass on him then and I wouldn't trade him now because of it.
    Every arm is a ticking time-bomb. Its all about when its going to explode. I'd rather trade him 1, 2, even 3 years before the surgery and get amazing value for him than 1 year too late and get nothing for him.

I remember everyone laughing at Carp (myself included) when the rumored trade of Beachy for Lorenzo Cain. How would Cain look in CF right now for us? If they pull the trigger on that deal than BJ is never here and Heyward is still in RF and hte Braves are competing for a world series title.
    Natural Immunity Croc

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Plus the kid is still really learning his craft. He doesn't have the amount of innings a typical AA pitcher would have at this point. The fact that he is getting guys out is certainly encouraging.
    Exactly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Every arm is a ticking time-bomb. Its all about when its going to explode. I'd rather trade him 1, 2, even 3 years before the surgery and get amazing value for him than 1 year too late and get nothing for him.

I remember everyone laughing at Carp (myself included) when the rumored trade of Beachy for Lorenzo Cain. How would Cain look in CF right now for us? If they pull the trigger on that deal than BJ is never here and Heyward is still in RF and hte Braves are competing for a world series title.
    I wanted Cain as much as anyone and folks were telling me he's trash and making other childish comments. I am not surprised one bit how good he's turned out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I wanted Cain as much as anyone and folks were telling me he's trash and making other childish comments. I am not surprised one bit how good he's turned out.
    But that is what I'm getting at. In my opinion you are much better off at developing lots of pitching and trading/signing/extending hitting. You definitely want an anchor and I believe that will be Teheran but you are risking way too much by spending more than 30% of your team budget on pitching.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    And people also would have said you were crazy if you advocated trading 20-year-old Jason Heyward for some young pitcher named Chris Sale. You can always use examples either way.

The bottom line is, you won't ever sustain success if you're always looking to trade your best arms 2-3 years before they potentially get hurt, especially if they're still cheap for a while.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Grant McAuley
    @grantmcauley
    Through four starts this season, @GwinnettBraves RHP Mike Foltynewicz has turned in a 2.08 ERA in 21.2 IP, with 30K and a 1.25 WHIP. #Braves

---

Mmmhmm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    And people also would have said you were crazy if you advocated trading 20-year-old Jason Heyward for some young pitcher named Chris Sale. You can always use examples either way.

The bottom line is, you won't ever sustain success if you're always looking to trade your best arms 2-3 years before they potentially get hurt, especially if they're still cheap for a while.
    Its just like Poker though. You may have a bad beat but you still play the odds.

The odds tell me to allocation the majority of your budget on hitting and sell your pitching before it gets expensive. To me thats the smart play.
    Last edited by thethe; 04-27-2015 at 04:26 PM.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Grant McAuley
    @grantmcauley
    Through four starts this season, @GwinnettBraves RHP Mike Foltynewicz has turned in a 2.08 ERA in 21.2 IP, with 30K and a 1.25 WHIP. #Braves

---

Mmmhmm.
    Could be a potential #1 TOR pitcher. One of the few guys you can actually say that about in all of the minor leagues. Overwhelming odds is he won't be one but at least its a chance.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

Yea, plus the bottom line is this is a disagreement over Alex Wood. However, I basically agree with nsacpi for the most part.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    A big part of this whole makeover to get back to the "Braves Way" was to put us back in the position of having a couple of inexpensive arms ready to step into the rotation at almost any time. Assuming they don't extend Miller and/or Wood, you have to figure that we're close to the point that we've rebuilt that type of depth. Much like Medlen, Beachy, and Minor before them, you ride them out until they begin to get expensive and then hope to trade them for more pieces BEFORE they get hurt (but not "early" because the sky will fall if they do).

This is part of the reason I can at least imagine Hart & Company kicking the tires on one of the legitimate "Aces" this winter - you lock up at least the top two slots for the foreseeable future with Price/Teheran, then let the merry-go-round begin to circle. See where Miller is and what you can get for him following this season if Folty sticks as a starter because you'll have him and Wisler as the "next guys up". Same with Wood following 2016 - you could have Banuelos breathing down everyone's necks. Come the end of 2017 you hopefully have Jenkins and Sims ready and Fried getting close. And on and on.

No one expects ALL those guys to reach their projected ceilings (or even necessarily work out at all), but if half of them at least come close the organization SHOULDN'T need to spend significant money adding SPs before 2020 if they added an "Ace".
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?