Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

If this doesn't bother you

I don't know what will

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Stand up against this ****. Let Washington know we're not criminals who need to be surveilled. Vote out your congressman/woman.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Honestly, I think this is more of the type of stuff we should be doing as opposed to invading other countries. Knoweldge is power and I still fail to see what implication this has on 99.999% of Americans. We can argue slippery slope on any damn issue thats out there. Could this lead to something greater? Probably. But I do not think the intentions here is to see what Zito is doing in his Moms basement.
    Natural Immunity Croc

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Honestly, I think this is more of the type of stuff we should be doing as opposed to invading other countries. Knoweldge is power and I still fail to see what implication this has on 99.999% of Americans. We can argue slippery slope on any damn issue thats out there. Could this lead to something greater? Probably. But I do not think the intentions here is to see what Zito is doing in his Moms basement.
    why wouldn't it be used to see what zito is doing where ever if "knowledge is power..." etc?

if our theory of rights and "freedom" can be dismantled so easy by some crazy religious people, i would say we never really believed the words to start with then
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    But just to be safe - we should probably get cameras in everyone's house and install curfews.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    But just to be safe - we should probably get cameras in everyone's house and install curfews.
    So what is your plan to keep the country safe then Sturg?

You want no military intervention and you don't want to allow the government to figure out who is plotting against us via the internet and standard communications. How exactly are you keepingthe American people safe?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    why wouldn't it be used to see what zito is doing where ever if "knowledge is power..." etc?

if our theory of rights and "freedom" can be dismantled so easy by some crazy religious people, i would say we never really believed the words to start with then
    Its a shame that it has come to this but there is a real threat out their to the free world and the way they operate requires that we implement more advanced techniques to stop them. To not acknowledge this truth is the equivalent of putting your head in the sand.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    So what is your plan to keep the country safe then Sturg?

You want no military intervention and you don't want to allow the government to figure out who is plotting against us via the internet and standard communications. How exactly are you keepingthe American people safe?
    We managed to stay safe for many many many many many many years without these tactics.

You'll never convince me that our rights should be given away so carelessly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    We managed to stay safe for many many many many many many years without these tactics.

You'll never convince me that our rights should be given away so carelessly.
    Come on Sturg. To liken this to the situation even 20 years ago is just silly. We are living in a different time now. If we do not adapt as quickly as our enemies then we are going to have problems. And no, the USA is not going to be invaded by an army. That is not what these people do. But, I do not want to live in a country where at any time there could be someone looking to blow themselves up on the train I'm taking to work...or worse.

Moreso, you haven't laid our your plan to keep the American people safe. I think you are a bright guy so I'm all ears.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Come on Sturg. To liken this to the situation even 20 years ago is just silly. We are living in a different time now. If we do not adapt as quickly as our enemies then we are going to have problems. And no, the USA is not going to be invaded by an army. That is not what these people do. But, I do not want to live in a country where at any time there could be someone looking to blow themselves up on the train I'm taking to work...or worse.

Moreso, you haven't laid our your plan to keep the American people safe. I think you are a bright guy so I'm all ears.
    I don't believe - or maybe more accurately - I'm not as scared as the "threat" you are so concerned about. I'm much more concerned about a tyrannical government monitoring every move I make.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts

is there any proof this has kept the American people safe? I <3 buzz words and appeals to emotion, but has it actually worked or done anything?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    is there any proof this has kept the American people safe? I <3 buzz words and appeals to emotion, but has it actually worked or done anything?
    No... pretty much every study run on every illegal program we've been doing has shown no effectiveness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    No, but I wouldn't think that anything that did happen or didn't happen as a result of these programs would be brought to the forefront.

That doesn't make us safer or less safe releasing that information. There is absolutely nothing to gain from telling the people how we are catching terrorists.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I don't believe - or maybe more accurately - I'm not as scared as the "threat" you are so concerned about. I'm much more concerned about a tyrannical government monitoring every move I make.
    Great, IS, Muslim Brotherhood, al-Qaeda, etc... want you to think the same exact thing.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Its a shame that it has come to this but there is a real threat out their to the free world and the way they operate requires that we implement more advanced techniques to stop them. To not acknowledge this truth is the equivalent of putting your head in the sand.
    the only people that can "destroy the free world" is the "free world"

if you think those threats than could blow something up/ destroy our way of life with some terror threats, then obviously we aren't really sold on the idea of "free world" then imo
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    it it like torturing people though

it works in the movies

so, it must work

facts be damned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    the only people that can "destroy the free world" is the "free world"

if you think those threats than could blow something up/ destroy our way of life with some terror threats, then obviously we aren't really sold on the idea of "free world" then imo
    Global warming wasn't an issue 100 years ago and it certainly wouldn't have spurred on climate change if it was addressed a long time ago when it should have.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Great, IS, Muslim Brotherhood, al-Qaeda, etc... want you to think the same exact thing.
    Ooooo I can play this game.

Great - the government wants you to think you're close to being blown up at any given minute. That way you will voluntarily surrender your rights rather than them needing to just take them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    No, but I wouldn't think that anything that did happen or didn't happen as a result of these programs would be brought to the forefront.

That doesn't make us safer or less safe releasing that information. There is absolutely nothing to gain from telling the people how we are catching terrorists.
    Weren't we all supposed to die after Snowden spilled the beans on the NSA?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Weren't we all supposed to die after Snowden spilled the beans on the NSA?
    Did someone say that?
    Natural Immunity Croc