Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: 4/27/15 MLB GAME THREAD Braves/Nats: Markakis still at the top - Peterson batting 7th

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Just enjoy this year's team because it's only going to get better moving forward. There is about to be waves of young talent ready to play at the major league level.
    It's difficult to have any reasonable discussion with you if you auto-dismiss any alternative to what the Braves did. "In the real world, Justin would have been super mad and would have left! So you would have screwed us for years to come"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    It's difficult to have any reasonable discussion with you if you auto-dismiss any alternative to what the Braves did. "In the real world, Justin would have been super mad and would have left! So you would have screwed us for years to come"
    I'm sorry if thats the way I feel. I'm sure Justin would have been thrilled that the Braves dumped BJ to the point where he would have taken slightly less than market value (Lets face it, thats what hte Braves have to do) to stay here. Its just not realistic to me.

In my opinion this rebuild was 100% needed and we aren't going to miss the guys that left one bit in a year from now. This year will be rough because they are going to lose more than they win.
    Natural Immunity Croc

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-28-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Is someone saying Justin wouldn't have taken market value? Why would he take less...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Anyone want to do a GDT record count like we had last year?
    That's what I was thinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I'm sorry if thats the way I feel. I'm sure Justin would have been thrilled that the Braves dumped BJ to the point where he would have taken slightly less than market value (Lets face it, thats what hte Braves have to do) to stay here. Its just not realistic to me.

In my opinion this rebuild was 100% needed and we aren't going to miss the guys that left one bit in a year from now. This year will be rough because they are going to lose more than they win.
    The rebuild could have still been done while still investing in Upton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I agree with that but would Upton have stayed here is the question and most importantly would he have been willing to take less than market value?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I agree with that but would Upton have stayed here is the question and most importantly would he have been willing to take less than market value?
    We're going to have to get over this "less than market value" sentiment. If we want to sign premium players, we have to pay them market value - period.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

chopdrew (04-28-2015), JohnAdcox (04-28-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    We're going to have to get over this "less than market value" sentiment. If we want to sign premium players, we have to pay them market value - period.
    The method is going to be to get someone who is under contract for a few years and extending them or developing them ourselves.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I completely disagree with the thought that JUp wouldn't have wanted to stay if we shipped BJ off. I don't think it would be a huge deal to him at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I completely disagree with the thought that JUp wouldn't have wanted to stay if we shipped BJ off. I don't think it would be a huge deal to him at all.
    He was the guy I wanted to keep. I hope its still possible to sign him.
    Natural Immunity Croc

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-28-2015)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    This is the first game I could watch since week 1. Stults looked good last night but he walks a tightrope out there - if he gets too much of the plate he's going to get crushed. He did a good job at getting the Nats to swing at balls on the corners or just off the plate. The offense also looked good, despite Washington giving us some runs. I really like the aggressiveness on the basepaths, even if it runs into a few outs here or there. I get the sense the team is really trying to squeeze out every last run, not just waiting for something to happen.

I was also irked by the comment by ESPN right after the game - "No need to discuss this game, it was just a bad game." Bad for the Nats maybe, but not for the Braves. In a ESPN perfect world every team from DC to Boston would finish with 100 wins.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    You are making a great grand assumption that we were going to be the top bidder for Justin Upton. Even if we would have been the top bidder there's also the assumption that it would have been for a price that made sense.

Like the prospect package or not, that's an entirely different subject. But there's a very valid argument that trading a year of JUp for value is worth more than paying his market rate or getting nothing in return at all.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    The goal isn't to sign guys at market value. The goal is to use our resources in an efficient manner. The more players we can obtain that are below market value then the better off we will be.

We can probably afford another one... Maybe two Freddie Freeman size contracts. The rest of our team has to be constructed with a few arbitration players and mostly pre-arb guys.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-28-2015), thethe (04-28-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Same here. He's probably more happy that way. BJ probably agrees...

Excuse me. Melvin Upton Jr.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    the Uptons seemed pretty invested in being on the same team. I do not think JUp would stay. I'm sure they checked in on his re-signing like they did Heyward. But if you're 1 year from FA, why would you sign? You'll always get more with multiple bidders. Signing a team friendly extension is b/c you are spreading out your risk, that doesn't work when you're 1 year away.

I don't think JUp will come back to us after the way things went with his brother. HOPE I'm wrong. We'll see.

I think it's very reasonable that he'll get out of SD. That ballpark, if the team doesn't succeed, taxes in CA, etc could all put him on the move. Would he consider ATL...hope so.