Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: GDT 5/1/15 Braves vs Reds

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    so far this season I think the Braves would have been better but that's just because the new additions have been the huge positives. I was for the rebuild because I didn't think we were good enough to win a Title and didn't believe that either Heyward or Upton would be here long term. It was a no brained for me.

Fort he first month of the season how can you make a case the Braves would have been better?

I'm pretty certain I just explained why I think looking at a 20 game sample is silly. But I've seen Markakis' lack of range almost certainly cost us dearly in multiple games. Upton has been great. Having Kimbrel / Walden / Carpentar / Shreve / Hale / Varvaro / Graham may have saved us a game or two directly - and then who knows how much in the longer term of saving the bullpen so much needed innings

But I again reiterate that I don't believe you can translate Evan Gattis' stats directly over to the team.
    Last edited by sturg33; 05-01-2015 at 10:39 PM.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Lastly - you've made it uber clear that THERE WAS NO WAY IN HELL that we could have EVER signed Heyward or Upton. I guess bc Ramadan was toting the company line and you slurped it up. But my question is, if we can't sign them, who are we going to get to hit for us?

Or are we going to trade all of our underperforming, injured pitching prospects for hitting studs who happen to be cheap?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Same joke just to joke and some have malicious intent I think you know this as well.
    Well I can only speak (and joke) for myself—at least until Mark Bowman eats me, then I'll be speaking and joking for two (or more).
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Nice win tonight. Saw some things to like about Folty. His command is always going to be an issue, but if he can get that slider working, should work well in the rotation. I'm not sure it's there, though, and he has the feel of a bullpen guy to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I'm pretty certain I just explained why I think looking at a 20 game sample is silly. But I've seen Markakis' lack of range almost certainly cost us dearly in multiple games. Upton has been great. Having Kimbrel / Walden / Carpentar / Shreve / Hale / Varvaro / Graham may have saved us a game or two directly - and then who knows how much in the longer term of saving the bullpen so much needed innings

But I again reiterate that I don't believe you can translate Evan Gattis' stats directly over to the team.
    Upton has not been "great"... He's been good... .254 average with a .300 ish on base percentage is not "great"

Heyward has been awful... Gattis pretty bad... Kimbrel has even been struggling. I miss Walden the most but like having Shelby and Jenkins much more. Still trying to figure out how all those players would have made the year more fun to watch thus far.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 05-02-2015 at 12:03 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Upton has not been "great"... He's been good... .254 average with a .300 ish on base percentage is not "great"

Heyward has been awful... Gattis pretty bad... Kimbrel has even been struggling. I miss Walden the most but like having Shelby and Jenkins much more. Still trying to figure out how all those players would have made the year more fun to watch thus far.
    Thats the funny thing about all the negativity. If no trades are made the Braves are more than likely in the same spot they are in now with a significantly worse farm system and two impending big time FA's that the Braves could not afford to pay what the market demanded.
    Natural Immunity Croc

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

keithlaw (05-02-2015)

Playing the Waiting Game keithlaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post

Huh? Upton is hitting 284/326/553. Those are great numbers for playing in San Diego. And Gattis has been more than "pretty bad".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keithlaw View Post
    Huh? Upton is hitting 284/326/553. Those are great numbers for playing in San Diego. And Gattis has been more than "pretty bad".
    Yeah, Upton is just a spectacular hitter. I thought it was a no brainer who to sign long term between he and Heyward. Its just too bad how things worked out with Melvin because I don't think there was any chance Justin was staying here.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Those numbers were after he had a huge night last night... His numbers were exactly what I said when the original post occurred

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Would have loved to keep Upton. Don't really care at all that Heyward and Gattis are gone. Kimbrel hurt but he's useless for this team and the trade was amazing. Heyward will never be the player some think he is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    And Gattis has been pretty hot lately... Hence the "pretty bad"

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Lastly - you've made it uber clear that THERE WAS NO WAY IN HELL that we could have EVER signed Heyward or Upton. I guess bc Ramadan was toting the company line and you slurped it up. But my question is, if we can't sign them, who are we going to get to hit for us?

Or are we going to trade all of our underperforming, injured pitching prospects for hitting studs who happen to be cheap?
    Hold up. I never said one damn thing about Upton; only that Heyward was asking for the moon and stars. Mind you, I admitted that my source is obviously towing the party line (given his role)- but I am not a blind homer. Like you, there were some trades this year that I liked far better than others. I was a fan of the Heyward trade. I was not a fan of the Upton trade. I have no idea whether Upton was approached for an extension and if he was, what he asked for- and I never said one word about him.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ramadon101 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (05-02-2015), Hawk (05-02-2015), jpx7 (05-02-2015)