Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MINORS FINAL 5/3: What About Lipka?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl717 View Post
    Dude that team sucks. I dont know why you love non impact bats.
    As opposed to the team FULL of "impact bats" we had last season that was 14th in the NL in offense at this point?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Peraza on base 5 times today. Damn, that kid is on fire.
    Would anyone be mad if he was starting at 2B next month?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

thethe (05-03-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    As opposed to the team FULL of "impact bats" we had last season that was 14th in the NL in offense at this point?
    Aside from the obvious poking of the giant stats bear, do you actually believe what you are arguing against?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (05-03-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Would anyone be mad if he was starting at 2B next month?
    Going into the new stadium already a playoff team would be huge for the franchise moving forward. Let Peraza get his feet wet on the big league club this year in a month or two. Then we could have him fully ready at the start of next year.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    When's the super two deadline? Early June, right? I'd love to see Peraza up this year, provided he plays well, but none of these kids should be up for good until after the super two cut-off.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

Carp (05-04-2015), jpx7 (05-03-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    What information do we have on Keith Curcio? 6th round pick last year hit for 20 AB's at Rome last year and is now OPSing more than 900 this season. He'll be 22 all year and could finish the year potentially in Carolina based on his age.

Excellent BB/K ratios and is showing extra base power without the homers but those might come a bit more as he acclimates himself.

Possibly a prospect?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    6th Round (193): Keith Curcio, CF @KeithCurcio — Curcio is an athletic outfielder with good speed. While he doesn’t have any stand-out tools, he’s said to be a grinder who plays above his natural abilities. He excelled last summer in the wooden bat collegiate Northwoods League, placing second in batting average (.367) and walking more than he struck out. The ability he showed there to hit with a wood bat is likely what gave the Braves confidence to draft him this high. He was unranked on any of the prospect outlets draft boards, so this could be a bit of an overdraft at this position.

__________________________________________________ __

This is from Chop County.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    What information do we have on Keith Curcio? 6th round pick last year hit for 20 AB's at Rome last year and is now OPSing more than 900 this season. He'll be 22 all year and could finish the year potentially in Carolina based on his age.

Excellent BB/K ratios and is showing extra base power without the homers but those might come a bit more as he acclimates himself.

Possibly a prospect?
    Fractured lower leg last year when he hit the outfield wall, I believe. He was hitting his stride when hurt, so this is not a fluke hot streak, it would seem.

(This me quoting me from last July)

Curcio, a lefty hitter, was hitting his stride quickly. He began his career at Danville, where he hit a modest .259 with four RBIs in eight games, plus some nice defense, before moving up to Rome. There, he was hitting .316 through seven games before he was injured with a home run and five RBIs. He had a homer and double and three runs scored in the last game before he was hurt.

Nice thing about broken bones, though -- they heal, so the kid should be back on track in time for instructional league/winter ball, if not sooner.

Many thanks to Nick Pierce, Danville radio announcer, for passing this along.
    Last edited by rico43; 05-04-2015 at 04:32 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

thethe (05-04-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Fractured lower leg last year when he hit the outfield wall, I believe. He was hitting his stride when hurt, so this is not a fluke hot streak, it would seem.

(This me quoting me from last July)

Curcio, a lefty hitter, was hitting his stride quickly. He began his career at Danville, where he hit a modest .259 with four RBIs in eight games, plus some nice defense, before moving up to Rome. There, he was hitting .316 through seven games before he was injured with a home run and five RBIs. He had a homer and double and three runs scored in the last game before he was hurt.

Nice thing about broken bones, though -- they heal, so the kid should be back on track in time for instructional league/winter ball, if not sooner.

Many thanks to Nick Pierce, Danville radio announcer, for passing this along.
    Maybe this kid moves quickly because it doesn't seem Rome is much of a challenge to him. I love that he is billed as a plus athlete and yet he is showing excellent plate discipline plus XBH power. Someone to follow for sure over the course of this year.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Ruiz has struggled, but it's still too soon to be concerned. He's 20 in AA. Last year, at the same level Peterson is now but a year younger, he hit much better. I think he'll be ok.

But this is why it was too early to be disappointed in some guys. A couple good games in a row and everything can change.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-04-2015), Garmel (05-04-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Ruiz has struggled, but it's still too soon to be concerned. He's 20 in AA. Last year, at the same level Peterson is now but a year younger, he hit much better. I think he'll be ok.

But this is why it was too early to be disappointed in some guys. A couple good games in a row and everything can change.
    High A to AA is considered the biggest talent adjustment in the minors and Ruiz is very young for the level. His K/BB looks good right now, but that can be misleading because he may be so intent on putting the ball in play that he's not trying to drive the ball. Big thing is he doesn't appear (and I'll readily admit appearances can be misleading) to be over-matched.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-04-2015), smootness (05-04-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    High A to AA is considered the biggest talent adjustment in the minors and Ruiz is very young for the level. His K/BB looks good right now, but that can be misleading because he may be so intent on putting the ball in play that he's not trying to drive the ball. Big thing is he doesn't appear (and I'll readily admit appearances can be misleading) to be over-matched.
    Yep, and this is why I'm also very encouraged by what Mallex Smith is doing. This is a huge year for him, and he's doing what he's done at every level - hit and get on base.

I have to believe he will start to fly up prospect boards. So far, he is having a Bourn-like minor league career. Always doubted, always hitting and stealing bases. In fact, so far he's actually hit better than Bourn did at a similar age/level.
    Last edited by smootness; 05-04-2015 at 11:43 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-04-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,324 Posts
    From Bowman's twitter:

"Jose Peraza's last 14 games: .385 (20-for-52 w/ no extra-base hits) .421 OBP, 6/7 SB, 4/7 BB/K"

Damn

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Garmel For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-04-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Didnt have a good spring training. Maybe we can trade him to the yankees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    From Bowman's twitter:

"Jose Peraza's last 14 games: .385 (20-for-52 w/ no extra-base hits) .421 OBP, 6/7 SB, 4/7 BB/K"

Damn
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-04-2015 at 12:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Didnt have a good spring training. Maybe we can trade him to the yankees.
    Yea, maybe we can trade him to the Yankees for someone like EYJ--a king of Spring Training! :)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    From Bowman's twitter:

Damn
    Think he's going to be solid... but the lack of power and plate discipline makes it really tough to be a good hitter in the big leagues

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Think he's going to be solid... but the lack of power and plate discipline makes it really tough to be a good hitter in the big leagues
    Speed guys that make contact and don't strikeout can be safely projected to hit 280 or better IMO. Even with a 5-8% walk rate he will have a big impact on the team offensively. This is a kid that you can realistically project to steal 50+ bases at a high percentage clip.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    It is true that Peraza's walk rate (typically around 5%) is lower than what you want in a leadoff hitter. But to some extent this can be offset by speed (and the higher BABIP that generates). The low strikeout rate fits in nicely with a speed/high BABIP profile.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Speed guys that make contact and don't strikeout can be safely projected to hit 280 or better IMO. Even with a 5-8% walk rate he will have a big impact on the team offensively. This is a kid that you can realistically project to steal 50+ bases at a high percentage clip.
    Not saying you're wrong... but I can't think of many exaamples other than all-time greats (like Ichiro). Can you name a few?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Not saying you're wrong... but I can't think of many exaamples other than all-time greats (like Ichiro). Can you name a few?
    Well I'm not expecting Peraza to be a HOFer. Something close to what Juan Pierre was when he was disruptive with the Marlins. Just a good player. But with Peraza you could potentially get high level defense at a defensive premium position.
    Natural Immunity Croc